C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark price for header installation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
apester4u
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballpark price for header installation?

Hey Experts

I have an 81 automatic and I'm installing these headers http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...0+115&y=9&x=31 on this engine http://www.enginefactory.com/400hp.htm. Summit tech guy assured me there would be no problems with the fit and engine builder also recommended the Hedmans. Assuming everything goes smoothly with maybe a few adjustments needed here and there, what's a ballpark installation charge for a typical header installation at an average shop?? Just want to make sure I don't get ripped off or fed a line. Thanks, everyone!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you feel up to the challenge, you can do the installation yourself. Pretty straightforward.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can install yourself, need to get the car on a lift or pretty high off the ground but the hookup from headers to existing pipes will probably be fron 75.00 to 100.00
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM
JustinD
Safety Car

If you have a welder you can do it with the car on jackstands in a afternoon no problem.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 PM
apester4u
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil Zell
You can install yourself, need to get the car on a lift or pretty high off the ground but the hookup from headers to existing pipes will probably be fron 75.00 to 100.00
Thanks. I won't be hooking to the existing pipes. After the headers go on, I will be putting on the Pypes exhaust system. I'd attempt this myself, but I don't have any of the tools or lifts necessary and it would cost more to get those than it would to have an expert do it. Plus, I don't want to mess anything up
Old 05-22-2008, 09:39 PM
chevr0letman
Advanced

Exhaust shop told me 200 for oem bolt on shorty header install. I can't imagine what they would have charged to do long-tubes with 2.5 straight pipes, which is what i ended up going with (self-install).
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chevr0letman
Exhaust shop told me 200 for oem bolt on shorty header install. I can't imagine what they would have charged to do long-tubes with 2.5 straight pipes, which is what i ended up going with (self-install).
I had a similar story. $300 for shorty headers. Did it myself in an afternoon.

Originally Posted by apester4u
I'd attempt this myself, but I don't have any of the tools or lifts necessary and it would cost more to get those than it would to have an expert do it. Plus, I don't want to mess anything up
Ramps, jack stands, and a socket set? Please! It seems to me that the times my cars get messed up is when I trust them to "experts". God bless, Sensei
Old 05-22-2008, 11:17 PM
tomnt
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The headers in that link are sidepipe headers. My son and I installed those in a couple of hours one afternoon.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 PM
MakoShark72
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tomnt
The headers in that link are sidepipe headers. My son and I installed those in a couple of hours one afternoon.
I JUST did this TODAY. Granted the stock manifolds were already off the car, but to install Hooker Sidemounts, BY MYSELF, maybe 2 hrs. Car 15-18" off the ground on jackstands. Takes a little maneuvering, but if I can do it....

Old 05-23-2008, 07:39 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing to consider, on your 1981, you have an O2 sensor on the exhaust somewhere. You can get that replaced by having an exhaust bung welded in to the collector.

As someone mentioned earlier, the headers in your link are for sidepipes, I don't think there is any Pypes sytem that will fit that. Standard style exhaust equivalent will be these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I'm actually looking forward to the header install. The only other time I did it was on a 1994 Z28, and that was not fun. Stuffing half of the engine up under cowl makes everything a PITA.

C3's by contrast look like cake.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
apester4u
Instructor

As someone mentioned earlier, the headers in your link are for sidepipes, I don't think there is any Pypes sytem that will fit that. Standard style exhaust equivalent will be these:

Son of a ***!! See, that's why I love this forum. I can't believe I got the wrong part. I guess I need the HED-68300....why the Summit guy failed to mention the ones he recommended were side exhaust, I don't know. Guess I get to do a part exchange and delay installation another couple of weeks. Oh well, thanks for the heads up before it was too late.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
1981Z06Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevr0letman
Having done this kind of thing on the side before, I would say they are padding the estimate a bit, knowing that the chances of a manifold bolt breaking off in the head could eat up a lot of time to fix. They probably aren't familiar with Corvettes, either, and any issues that may come with them (accessory brackets for AC, etc possible getting in the way/requiring mods). That said, I'd buy the tools and do it myself.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
NTMMD8R
Instructor

You don't want to get involved with the Pypes system. They don't know how to make the left side fit correctly and won't own up to their mistakes. Customer assistance seems to be non-existent. You would be better off to pay somebody $5 to kick you in the nuts than to pay good money for Chinese mufflers, non-fitting pipes, unpolished parts that are supposed to be, and of course, missing parts. You get the same outcome, save money, time, and aggravation.
Buyers Beware.....I speak strongly from experience.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
BB427
Racer

If your going to have a new exhaust system installed I would call a few different Speedy or Midas muffler shops tell them the year of the car and ask how much to throw on headers should be no more than 55-$75 a hr 2 hrs max for any jack mech. to install. Find the best price then go there tell them your looking for the exhaust system and bargin the header install price into the exhaust for 50% of the price you were quoted hehehehe

Get notified of new replies

To Ballpark price for header installation?

Quick Reply: Ballpark price for header installation?