C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zinc phosphate (ZDDP/ZDTP) in engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 06:51 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by BB427
Okay did a little research and here is a PM response from buddy at the chevelle forum who agrees with you on the diesel oils. I happen to value his opinion so I'll post his response to me.

"* PENNZOIL GT 25W-50(NOT 20W-50) RACE OIL .,IT HAS A VERY HIGH LVL F ZDDP (1500PPM+) GOOD FOR THE FLAT TAPPET CAM IN YOUR 427.NOT ALL STORES CARRY IT BUT MOST CAN ORDER IT OR YOU CAN ORDER IT FROM SUMMIT/JEGS,SHOWS UP IN 2-4 DAYS DEPEDNING WHEN YOU ORDER IT. IT GOOD DOWN TO APPROX 40 DEG F,BUT NO COLDER.

* CHEVRON DELO 15W-40 IN A BLUE COLOR GALLON CONTAINER THATS AVAIL IN MOST AUTOZONE/ADVANCED AUTO/PEPBOYS /WALMART STORES.IT'S A LITTE LIGHTER THEN THE 25W-50 PENNZOIL SO ITS GOOD DOWN TOO APPROX 15-20DEG F SO IT COULD BE USED IN PRETTY COLD WEATHER AND IN HOT SUMMER TOO. THIS OIL ALSO HAS A DECNT LVL OF ZDDP THOUGH NOT AS MUCH AS THE PENNZOIL BUT IS STILL ADEQUATE @ APPROX 1350PPM ZDDP.

* BRAD PENN 20W-50 ,THEIR SITE CLAIMS APROX 1400-1500PPM ZDDP BUT I HAD IT TESTED AND IT CAM IN SUBSTATIALLY LOWER THEN THAT WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN A FLUKE OR BAD TEST,DONT KNOW. BUT THET CALIM A HI ZDDP LVL AND IT THATS HOLD TRUE THAT IL WOULD BE GOOD TOO IN 20W-50,IT CAN BE BOUGHT ON EBAY AND ORDERED FROM SUMMIT/JEGS.

* VALVOLINE NSL(NOT STREET LEAGL) 20W-50 RACE OIL THAT HAS APPROX 1300PPM ZDDP. HAS TO BE ORDERED FROM SUMMIT/JEGS/OR LOCAL STORE. BUT IT HAS LOW DETERGENT LVL SO FREQUENT OIL CHANGES ARE REQUIRE,CANT GO 2K-3K MILES WITH THAT OIL.

* OR YOU CAN GET THE FOLLOWING OIL ADDITIVES THAT BOOST THE ZDDP(Zinc & P) THAT YOU CAN ADD TO ANY 20W-50 OR 15W-40 SM RATED OVER THE COUNTER PASS CAR OIL SOLD TODAY THAT WILL HAVE A LOWER ZDDP LVL THAT NEEDS THE ZDDP OIL BOOSTER ADDITIVE ADDED FOR PROPER FLAT TAPPET CAM PROTECTION.

- CAM SHIELD (BUY FROM CAM SHIELD SITE)

_ ZDDPLUS BUY FROM EBAY/EASTWOOD CAR RESTO TOOL CATALOG/FROM ZDDPLUS SITE.

BTW,NO ALL IS TRUE ABOUT WHAT THE CAMSHILED AND ZDDPLUSSITES SAY ABOUT THE DIESEL OILS SOLD TODAY THAT ARE CJ RATED. THOSES NEWER GENERATION OF DIELS/GAS ENGINE OILS HAVE LESS DETERGENT BECASEU THE NEWER GENERATION OF DIESEL ENGINES RUN CLEANER THUS NOT REQUIRING AS MUCH DETRGENT IN THE OLFOR THOSE ENGINES. CHEVRON ALSO REC THAT CJ RATED DELO 15W-40 OIL FOR ALL GASOLINE ENGINES RIGHT ON THIER SITE. "
All this info is great, but one only needs about 1,200 PPM ZDDP for Flat tappet engines and too much is not beneficial to the engine. I'll stick with Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic with 1,200 PPM ZDDP, buy it at Walmart for $23 for 5 quarts, and not add any additional additives since it is not needed ( and just about every oil manufacturer discourages oil additives since it could upset their oil package) with the 15W-50 Racing formulation only for high performance flat tappet engines. Just my 2 cents!
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 PM
SoCalErv
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Army

Thats all you need.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

this is response about royal purple, that i use. just fyi

Don,

The RP 10W40 is the right choice for your L82 and has a very stout antiwear
package as it meets the API CI-4 / SL Service Classifications. It has 1300
ppm of zinc / phos and also contains our Synerlec advance additive
technology which increases the ability of the oil to prevent metal to metal
3-4 times better than other conventional or synthetic oils.
We've got you covered with our RP 10W40 just like we have the drilling rigs
and some oil field service companies that use our RP 15w40.

The oils to avoid in your older flat tappet cam engine are the newer API SM
gasoline oils in the multiweight 20 or multiweight 30 viscosity grades or
the new emissions compatible CJ-4 diesel engine oils for 2007 and newer
diesels. These two classes of oils now must have reduced antiwear additives
packages to supposedly increase the life of the emissions exhaust
components.

Thanks for the email and for using RP.

David

Royal Purple Inc
David Canitz
Mgr - Tech Services
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281.354.7600 fax
713.725,7207 cell
dcanitz@royalpurple.com
Old 07-27-2008, 07:57 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by speedreed8
this is response about royal purple, that i use. just fyi

Don,

The RP 10W40 is the right choice for your L82 and has a very stout antiwear
package as it meets the API CI-4 / SL Service Classifications. It has 1300
ppm of zinc / phos and also contains our Synerlec advance additive
technology which increases the ability of the oil to prevent metal to metal
3-4 times better than other conventional or synthetic oils.
We've got you covered with our RP 10W40 just like we have the drilling rigs
and some oil field service companies that use our RP 15w40.

The oils to avoid in your older flat tappet cam engine are the newer API SM
gasoline oils in the multiweight 20 or multiweight 30 viscosity grades or
the new emissions compatible CJ-4 diesel engine oils for 2007 and newer
diesels. These two classes of oils now must have reduced antiwear additives
packages to supposedly increase the life of the emissions exhaust
components.

Thanks for the email and for using RP.

David

Royal Purple Inc
David Canitz
Mgr - Tech Services
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365
281.354.7600 fax
713.725,7207 cell
dcanitz@royalpurple.com
I think your information about the CJ-4 specification for 2007 and newer vehicles is incorrect.

According to the article in the Volume 35, number 1 Summer 2008 issue of The Corvette Restorer by Duke Williams, (and I'm paraphrasing here) the limitation of P in CJ-4 is 0.12% which would provide the same amount as the earlier S and C designations. It has to be in order to pass the CJ-4 anti-wear test suite.

cc
Old 07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Seems David Canitz' employer's/company's survival depends on selling a premium-priced oil ... not at all surprised David cautions against using an oil that's about 1/3 price of his ... regardless if David's oil's increased ability to protect cams/lifters may or may not be insignificant. DC's pricey oil is probably very good ... BUT ... Folks, proof's in the pudding for me ... my stuff runs on CJ non-syn truck oil and so are most locals' circle track flat tappet motors ... they are NOT suffering from hi-detergent/hi-calcium washout etc ... there is NO increased local flat tappet race motor failure ... most have spring seat pressure about 130lb (OE C3 typically well under 90) ... again most locals' flattappets running AOK w/non-syn CJ.
Oh Yes ... LITTLE MOUSE ... all that Delvac 1300 you've got ... better get rid of it before the moon rises ... else all your motors will fail ... just send all that Delvac to me ... I'll properly "dispose" of it & pour it out for you at no charge.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

No Mr Jackson I better not send that nasty ole inexpensive diesel oil to you its only good for a 2000 ft lb at 1600 rpm, 600 hp at 2100 rpm engine pulling 130,000 gross heavy/wide loads over mountains out west. You might get a wild hair recomend it for a gas engine pulling a 3500 pound vette around, the oil could never do that. I suggest that you being an engine builder recomend the $14.00 a quart royal purple green eyed purple people eaters oil, they have a magic wand they wave over there plastic bottles that makes there oil far better then any other oil. I'm still a little concerned about my el cheapo 6.5 hp briggs stratton lawnmower I bought 10 yrs ago I used diesel oil in. I was supposed to use that higher then other brands quart plastic bottle oil that is specially formulated for briggs stratton engines.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 07-29-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Zinc phosphate (ZDDP/ZDTP) in engine oil