C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For shop manual deficient owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 12:50 PM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default For shop manual deficient owners

For those who don't own one. This is the best money spent on any type of upgrade or anything. It may not increase Hp but may bring it back to where it should be. It probably will reduce the labor and broken parts. It is ammunition for when you go to a garage, you know how the system works even if the mechanic doesn't.
These things not only tell you how to do something but explain the operation of the system. It tells what tools you need and sometimes pictures of them.
Each chapter begins with the operation of the system it is addressing. The starting system explains the whole mess so you know whats going on.
Some systems include a trouble shooting chart so you can pin point the possible parts without blindly swapping parts in the hopes of a cure.

It has the wiring diagrams which on a Corvette is important, IE. the wiper motor has only 1 positive wire and all the control wires are grounds. If you haven't discovered that there is a seperate ground wiring system You will very soon. most grounds are wired in, like on the dash.

It is a little course in auto mechanics by itself.

The body manual takes up where the shop manual stops. All that under the surface how does it come apart stuff. the cosmetics. And the body wiring.

If your not sure you need to spend the money you can get one for free from the public library ( you have to return it). They can get it from their main branch. Even if you don't buy one you should get one to read through.
Old 12-22-2001, 03:40 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: For shop manual deficient owners (Techno)

Good tips Techno, I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-22-2001, 05:20 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: For shop manual deficient owners (Smokehouse69)

yup... got grease and finger prints all through mine

ZD
Old 12-27-2001, 02:27 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Where is the best place to get one for my '72. Have been thinking about it for awhile - thanks.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:43 AM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For shop manual deficient owners (gdh)

GDS
Try http://www.Helm's.com . They have an 800 number on the site. If they don't have your book in stock they can tell you who does.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:55 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I work on a lot of different cars, and can't really justify spending the money on a whole shop manual for a lot of them, so I go to my local library and use theirs. Most of the time I look up what I want, and copy the pages (it's like 10 cents a page) that way I don't get their books all greasy at home. If you are working on something, go to you library and get the info on it first. They have a wealth of information. I think our library has 4 different kinds of shop manuals, and it's not a large library.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:57 AM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't of said it better, Techno :cheers: something to mention also...This is the same "Service Manual" that the Automotive Dealers use in they're shops :yesnod: it's a step by step process to check systems or repair them.

Get notified of new replies

To For shop manual deficient owners

Quick Reply: For shop manual deficient owners