C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with my windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:27 PM
yel76low
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the deal with my windows?

When I try to raise my passenger window just by the power alone, is tips the front of the window forward, raises the back about 4 inches, then gets stuck. If I hold the window level it has pleanty of power to raise it up by itself.

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

What's with that bolt on the passenger side?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

That is a bolt someone used to repair the window regulator with.

It should look just like your driver side.

If the window is tipping when you raise it, there is a good chance you have a bad or defective roller inside the door. You can look inside and see the rollers from the top of the window. Make sure they are all in place and free, make sure the tracks are not moving, and make sure the lower channel is not loose from the glass.

Willcox Inc.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM
BB427
Racer

Sounds like a problem with a loose track or a track adjustment never had the problem Sry
Old 06-14-2008, 04:02 PM
yel76low
Pro

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
That is a bolt someone used to repair the window regulator with.

It should look just like your driver side.

If the window is tipping when you raise it, there is a good chance you have a bad or defective roller inside the door. You can look inside and see the rollers from the top of the window. Make sure they are all in place and free, make sure the tracks are not moving, and make sure the lower channel is not loose from the glass.

Willcox Inc.
That's what I don't get - it doesn't look like the driver's side, because the driver's side doesn't have that bolt...
Old 06-14-2008, 04:26 PM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres a cut-a-way of a later model C3 door. Three tracks, one on each side and a small horizontal track. Each has a roller that slides in the track. Probably the front roller is bad or missing. The bolt is probably holding the toothed plate on the regulator as part of a repair from a previous owner. They were either welded or riveted originally. That shouldn't be your problem. Check the rollers and tracks for issues. Hope this helps. Unfortunately the real doors aren't this open as I'm sure you already know.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:33 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

There are fiberglass roller guides on the end of the regulator arms that go in the channel on the door glass. Looks like you've lost one of the guides. You need to pull the regulator and evaluate it for repair or replacement. Looks like Bubba's already worked on it and replaced the spring with a bolt instead of the rivet. Be careful if you take it apart as the spring if loaded and will bust you in the face. If you take it apart...first place a small bolt through the gear to keep the spring from moving.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

That's a good photo rclinton has provided, but it doesn't show the guide rollers. They are the back side of the glass in the photo where the two regulator arms contact the glass. You can easily see the spring. If you remove the motor from the regulator without securing the gear that spring will come out of there like a 155 Howitzer. (rclinton would call it's God's gun) That's a joke.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Dirtbuster1
Racer

How to you determine if your regulator spring is weak? I found mine laying in the bottom of the door. I put it back on, but that can't be good!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:15 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just make sure the window mechanism is all the way to the top as high as you can get it to go on before installing the spring.

Remember the spring is pulled down and helps up so look where it goes on and run it up and down a couple of times to see that it is being pulled down.

CLEAN......all your tracks and then use lithium grease back in all the sliders/tracks and rollers.

Take your time and it should go smoother and work

good luck
Old 06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
yel76low
Pro

So... yeah...

Driver's...

Pass...

How much of a pain in the butt would it be put the bracket that's missing back in there. Anyone had to replace that before?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to replace the complete regulator/rollers and cleaneverything out. Might be overkill, if the roller is only out of track, but I removed every piece of hardware out of the door including the glass, cleaned everything and installed the new regulator. Not the worst repar but definitly some things you need to know before you start.

SAFETY ITEM
1. You need to pin the regulator with a bolt and nut before you remove the motor /window or the spring pressure will unwind out of control (injury alert!).

2. There is little or no room to work so at times it can be a PITA.

If I remember correctly I first removed the chrome and rubber molding and the anti rattle pieces from the top of the door before I cranked the window all the way up, Pinned the regulator, unbolted the window from the track and removed the window first. Then I unbolted the motor, and the side tracks and pulled them out. Removed the regulator and cleaned everything up. You might have to remove the black splash guard from above the locking mechinism if its still there.

Clean al the tracks ans use a good dry lubricant, check the rollers and replace all in reverse order.

This is all from memory so if I missed something or got something out of whack someone please chime in.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:42 PM
BB427
Racer

I have replace entire window mechanisms in many types of cars they are never easy but very doable if you have patience , the tools and a free afternoon. Just wear long sleeves cuts and scratches are inevitable.

PS if your going to pull it all apart take a page from my book and run a new set of wires through the door boot for your P/L's & P/W's sense you'll be 50% of the way there might as well.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the deal with my windows?

Quick Reply: What's the deal with my windows?