C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Replaced now No AC Blower

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM
TX82
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Replaced now No AC Blower

Started out with simple plan to replace starter. I am mechanically inclined and have changed many starters should be no problem. Mopar starters that is. 2 wire starters, not 'vette starters. So I removed starter careful to notice which wires went where. In the midst of it all, I missed 2 black wires, black meant to me they should be ground. But rather than assume I Checked the crappy FSM that I have, no mention of wires. Assumed they were ground hooked to chasis ground. Reconnected battery, not only did the car not even crank, but the connector between the blower relay and the wires running down between firewall and starter began to smoke. They call this the starter solonoid harness. I knew I had a short, so I quickly disconnected battery again. Checked FSM again. Checked the forum, determined that those are actually supposed to be tied to hot side of solonoid from battery. Corrected incorrect placement of wires, connected battery. Car starts, but AC blower or AC do not work. Everything else is operational such as the lights horns, etc. Checked fuses, nothing, determined that the harness had melted. So now knew I had to replace it. Also assumed that the blower relay got zapped. The one mounted on the firewall inside the engine bay.

None the less had to order new harness. Got new harness in today replaced harness and blower relay still no blower or ac. I have probed for 12V on what i read from schematic as direct power from battery, but I get nothing. Anyone ever had this happen before or know where to start looking for problem? Could it be that the blower motor itself has been damaged, is it the blower motor switch inside the cabin, is it the AC clutch switch. I am not sure where to start replacing or checking parts.

Help greatly appreciated!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:15 PM
wattac2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you plugged in the black ground plug in to blower motor? It's attached to the black wire that should tie to the motor/starter motor.

Andy
Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
TX82
Intermediate

Yes, I checked that also, for power, and recevied no voltage across, the purple wire at the bottom of the blower motor or the ground. The ground bolt was loose also. So I tightened it up. Thanks keep the suggestions coming I am really stumped
Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To me you have to take the crappy FSM that you have and start chasing where you do and do not have voltage. There should be a diagnostic tree on no blower and/or no a/c. I would just follow the manual and you should find the problem.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markdtn
To me you have to take the crappy FSM that you have and start chasing where you do and do not have voltage. There should be a diagnostic tree on no blower and/or no a/c. I would just follow the manual and you should find the problem.
And start with the fuse.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
AimHigh
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It is something simple, just gotta have patience.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

OK, a couple things to look at:
First look at the 2 black wires in question, trace them back up thru the starter harness to the main harness and see where they go, one of them may be the ground for the AC clutch and blower. Bottom of the drawing left side shows this

Same grounf for the blower and hi blow relay. It should go to a stud on the firewall by the AC box where it will tie in with the AC clutch ground.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:09 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem on my '72. The previous owner replaced the starter and wired it wrong. He connected the black wire to the "hot" black wire from the battery. No fuses were blown because this black wire is the only source for ground for the blower/AC/windshield wiper - resulting in a slow drain on the battery, a blown AC thermister, and a hot wiper motor winding. Check your wiring.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
TX82
Intermediate

I have been thinking about that also JimT. I am starting to question if I have the right wires in the right places. Does anyone know the correct wiring from the starter solenoid harness?

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Replaced now No AC Blower

Quick Reply: Starter Replaced now No AC Blower