C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Harness - Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Engine Harness - Replace?

As I dig further in to my engine bay, the mess that had become bubba's personal wiring project is more readily apparent. My plan is described below, I'm hoping for some input on the best way to accomplish getting a clean start on the under hood wiring. The car ran before I started pulling stuff off, but I am presuming that the wiring that is present is not dependable at best, and a fire hazard at worst.

The car is a 1981 w/ Auto Trans

290 HP GMPP Crate engine
Holley Carb
Aftermarket HEI
(Replacing all CCC components with standard)
Serpentine accessory drive
Later model alternator
Twin Spal electric fans

I guess I am looking for what would be a good model year or aftermarket equivalent to choose for a replacement engine harness, and whatever else I might be needing to supplement given the later model alternator and e-fans.

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:59 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to do the dash wiring, as well?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by KevinK
Are you going to do the dash wiring, as well?
Not initially if I can avoid it, I imagine that there are some guage/sending unit wires that I will try to re-use, but the primary stuff (spark, charge, starter, etc.) are my initial concern. I will probably have to get after that down the road, but would like to have an operable engine with clean wiring first.

Last edited by nate99; 06-17-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to use a year-specific harness or the firewall connectors will not match up with the right wires. It will plug in, but the wrong wires will be in the wrong places. If you are wiring-proficient you may be better off to make your own. Lectric-Limited will make some deviations if you ask really nice.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
nate99
Race Director

Originally Posted by markdtn
You have to use a year-specific harness or the firewall connectors will not match up with the right wires. It will plug in, but the wrong wires will be in the wrong places. If you are wiring-proficient you may be better off to make your own. Lectric-Limited will make some deviations if you ask really nice.
I am not wiring proficient, that's most of my problem. I might just get an '81 replacement harness and end up not using half of the connections.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
nate99
Race Director

I just looked up Lectric Limited, they have a lot of stuff, I might give them a call and see what they might be able to do. I have been told that you can run an '81 just fine with all of the CCC stuff disconnected, provided you have aftermarket parts

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Harness - Replace?

Quick Reply: Engine Harness - Replace?