C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing light

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

Default timing light

hi, i was wondering if any body knows how the timing lights work that have a dial on it that goes from like 6 to 60. or what should i set the dial on for initial timing and what dial setting for total timing thanks. 72 LT-1 stock
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I am going to assume you are talking about a dial back timing light. You can set the dial to Zero, connect your timing light, and start your car and read the timing right off the balancer like normal. What ever number is showing at the pointer is your timing.

To use the dial back, connect the light as normal, start the car, then aim the light at the balancer and timing tab, turn the dial on the back of the light till the 0 on the balancer comes up to the mark on the tab. When you get those two lined up, look at the number on the back of the light, this will be where your timing is set at.

Hope this helps some. Someone help me out here if this is not clear enough. I understand what I am trying to say. Anyway, Give it a shot and see if this works for you. If not come on back and we will try again.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:43 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

thanks Eddie il give that i try, and check back later
Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 AM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Another way to use the light is to dial in the timing number you want on the dial and then rotate the distributor until the timing mark lines up with the zero mark on the timing tab.

For example if you want 36 degrees MAX mechanical at 2500 RPMS. set 36 on the dial...Bring up the RPMS to 2500 and adjust the distributor until the timing mark lines up with the zero mark. Then increase the RPMS to make sure you are at MAX advance. Then bring the RPMS down to idle and shoot the light and rotate the dial back until the timing mark aligns with the zero mark on the tab. You can then read your initial advance timing on the dial. ( for reference)

I recomend reading Lars' timing paper for better understanding of theprocess and the theory behind it.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Jay-Dog
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The advantage is simple. It's MUCH easier to turn the dial on the light for readings above 12-14 degrees. Otherwise, you would have to mark your harmonic balancer for any readings beyond what your timing pointer will cover. This is not only easier but much more accurate and faster. It's totally worth the extra couple bucks.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To timing light

Quick Reply: timing light