C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hedman Header Clearance Issue!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:46 AM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I bought my hedman coated headers off e-bay for $50 cause there aint no way I'm paying $500 for a set of headers whose only difference between the $150 set and the $500 set is a lousy set of air tubes.

So dimpling was in the cards for me
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
goathearder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
Did you happen to buy them from summit, jegs call them tell them the
product they sold you does not fit you want a different brand of header
or your money back. They sold you that part its there responsabilty to make it right, Summit, jegs, competition products they are all in competition with each other they don't want to lose you as a long term customer, I generally have bought from summit they have never gave me any flack on sending something back. JustinD bought a billit Zoom flywheel from summit installed it Damn Zoom advertisment on summit web site failed to mention the flywheel only works with a springless racing disc, he called summit they sent him another brand flywheel. Call the people that sold you the product tell them you worked hard for the $350.00 to get those new headers you expect them to fit the car. Bend on a brand new set of headers thats bullcrap.
I should do that but they are the only smog legal headers that I can find and I need to get the car smogged (damn cali) so I am kind of screwed.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:25 PM
vett us all
Racer

Hedman Coated Products Are Junk. Buy Them If That Is What You Want..............
Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Default Pitman arm looks like an aftermarket unit.

That looks like a Vette brakes hd idler. I would be curious to put a stock GM unit back on to see if that clears and then if so the complaints shouldn't be directed at the headers. Thus if a stock idler clears since you are using aftermarket hd idler, hammer those pipes, just don't dent them, place like a muffler clamp or something around them and hit the clamp with a 2X4 and sledge or fill the whole header with sand and then hammer away. Always check the welds to make sure nothing is cracked and needing rewelding if you hammer.

PS. See if you can get the Smog Number plate EO# or whatever and weld it to someone elses units. All headers will basically do the same thing on the machine. The only difference is that Hedman probably just spent the money to get their units a smog acceptable replacement number. Keep the paperwork for the units that shows smog and tell the station that they are Emission approved and most will just punch in that paperwork number. what are the chances of running into an expert at a smog station?

Last edited by TCracingCA; 06-26-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
spookytooth
Advanced

That happened to me on my big block. Had the headers in the car and everything fit fine. I removed the engine for rebuild and replaced the idler arm and motor mounts with heavy duty aftermarket and when the motor went back in the headers no longer fit.
It may come to a choice between putting a dimple in the header or going with OEM parts.

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
That looks like a Vette brakes hd idler. I would be curious to put a stock GM unit back on to see if that clears and then if so the complaints shouldn't be directed at the headers. Thus if a stock idler clears since you are using aftermarket hd idler, hammer those pipes, just don't dent them, place like a muffler clamp or something around them and hit the clamp with a 2X4 and sledge or fill the whole header with sand and then hammer away. Always check the welds to make sure nothing is cracked and needing rewelding if you hammer.

PS. See if you can get the Smog Number plate EO# or whatever and weld it to someone elses units. All headers will basically do the same thing on the machine. The only difference is that Hedman probably just spent the money to get their units a smog acceptable replacement number. Keep the paperwork for the units that shows smog and tell the station that they are Emission approved and most will just punch in that paperwork number. what are the chances of running into an expert at a smog station?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:59 PM
sam79
Advanced

I also bought a suspension moog kit and the idler arm is against the Hedman headers. Before the replacement, I had about a 1/2 inch between the rubber cap and the headers. Searching the forum, the problem is the idler arm. Apparently most of the idler arms sold are "New and improved" or "Heavy duty". The newer idler arms have a bigger foot print and will come very close to the headers. I do not want to dimple my coated headers.

I hoping to find an orginal size idler arm from a vendor. Please let me know where I could find an orginal idler arm for sale. Thanks
Old 08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Niart01
Instructor

Here is my 2 cents worth. I put a set of Headmans on my 73 small block. They fit perfectly. They are the full lenght and tuck up in perfect alignment. Can put them on and off with the starter still in place. I am very pleased with them. I bought them from Jegs.
They were ceramic coated and still look new after a year of use.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

We used to run in to this same problem with p/n 68306.

They're ceramic coated and I have a set on one of my cars. It's been on there for 5 years and looks brand new. The dimple trick worked just fine.

Willcox
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Buddy1980
Racer

Default Hedman Elite headers

I also had a fitment issue with the elite headers on a 80 small block, I guess I could have sent them back, but I decided to use the press method for clearance. I simply marked the areas that did not fit and used the bearing press and 2 blocks of wood to oval those areas slightly. The headers now fit perfect and almost look like they were made that way. After modifying this way and seeing the end result I would not recommend the hammer method.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 AM
ikwhite
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spookytooth
That happened to me on my big block. Had the headers in the car and everything fit fine. I removed the engine for rebuild and replaced the idler arm and motor mounts with heavy duty aftermarket and when the motor went back in the headers no longer fit.
It may come to a choice between putting a dimple in the header or going with OEM parts.
Just finished dimpling my Hooker super comps. Big block with VBP aftermarket idler arm. There is a big difference in size between stock and VBP idler arm.

ikwhite
Old 08-02-2009, 03:30 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hi goathearder
I had the same problem with Hedman headers 68286 with new engine mounts.
The problem solved by relising the engine mounts and operates the engine.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...t-problem.html
Avner
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Fishndude
Pro

My pitman arms clears but my power assist cylinder didnt

Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM
vettenoir
Racer

Add anotherto the pitman arm clearance problem. Had to 'adjust' mine also.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by goathearder
So, I just put my new heads on this weekend and while I was doing that I swapped in a set of the Headman 68301 smog legal headers so I could pass smog. The driver side went in perfect but the passenger side didn't.

Basically, the passenger side header is sitting right up again the pitman arm that is bolted to the frame.

Has anyone else has this problem? Is there anything I can do?
Same header part number here. I had to clearance the header a very small amount. not much.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fishndude
My pitman arms clears but my power assist cylinder didnt
I had no issues with the PS ram
Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've run both 68306 and 68308 with no problems... I've found them a great value for their price/quality. My 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 PM
sam79
Advanced

Concerning the idler clearance issue with Hedman headers, I bought the heavy duty idler arm(Moog) and the idler arm was right against the headers. I went to AutoZone and they had an idler arm that looked more like the orginal idler arm--not heavy duty. I install the idler arm from AutoZone and I have about 1/2 clearance from the headers. I know they are not of the same quality of the Moog, but aleast the idler arm is not touching the header and I did not have to put a dimple in the headers.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

My hooker headers (68 bigblock) just barely wouldn't clear the idler arm. Because bubba is my middle name I moved the idler arm. Was able to move it the tiniest amount (1/16" ?) which was enough.

Quick Reply: Hedman Header Clearance Issue!!!!