C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Bench Bleed Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM
98IndyPacer
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Help - Bench Bleed Master Cylinder

I’m having trouble getting a firm brake pedal after going through about a gallon of brake fluid doing pedal bleeding. I decided to pull the master cylinder to bench bleed. Since I don’t have the bench bleeder fittings (new Wagner master cylinder didn’t come with one) I wanted to make a setup using steel brake lines and a tubing bender.

I have manual brakes on my 1972 small block with 1” bore master cylinder. What sizes are the brake lines that connect to the ports on the master cylinder?

Thanks, Ed
Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just go down to the local Autozone or whatever and ask for a bleeder kit, HELP section has one I think, like 5 bucks, come swith about 5 diff fittings. btw the two on the M/C are diff sizes. i got my kit, but it's buried. C.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Project80
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
just go down to the local Autozone or whatever and ask for a bleeder kit, HELP section has one I think, like 5 bucks, come swith about 5 diff fittings. btw the two on the M/C are diff sizes. i got my kit, but it's buried. C.
Just get the kit, it works very well.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
98IndyPacer
Racer

Thanks for the replies. I found the master cylinder port sizes today. For the 1972, non-power brake, master cylinder the port sizes are 1/2-20 and 9/16-18. I went to the local AutoZone and they don’t carry the bleeder kit. I did find one at Napa Auto Parts, labeled as Master Cylinder Bleeder Kit with part number 700-1132.

Just finished bleeding the master cylinder, took about 15 strokes to get all of the air out. After installing the master cylinder I will pressure bleed the system using a Motive Pressure Bleeder but how do you remove the plugs, transport to the car and reconnect without getting too much air in the system?

Thanks, Ed
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the cap on the reservoir and then remove the lines. Hook up the vehicle lines before removing the reservoir cap. Then you should be good to bleed the system.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I changed my master cylinder, I installed it, put plugs in the front and rear hose ports. Pumped it until all the air was out, connected lines and bled again thru the wheel cylinders. I don't have a rock hard pedal, but I have power and it works like a champ.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:38 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by 98IndyPacer
Thanks for the replies. I found the master cylinder port sizes today. For the 1972, non-power brake, master cylinder the port sizes are 1/2-20 and 9/16-18. I went to the local AutoZone and they don’t carry the bleeder kit. I did find one at Napa Auto Parts, labeled as Master Cylinder Bleeder Kit with part number 700-1132.

Just finished bleeding the master cylinder, took about 15 strokes to get all of the air out. After installing the master cylinder I will pressure bleed the system using a Motive Pressure Bleeder but how do you remove the plugs, transport to the car and reconnect without getting too much air in the system?

Thanks, Ed
Leave the bench bleeder kit installed. Bolt the master cylinder on then the last thing you do is remove the fittings before you hook up the lines. If you have the Motive pressure bleeder you will be finished in no time at all.

-Mark.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 PM
98IndyPacer
Racer

Thanks for all of the help. I will give it a try this weekend.

Regards, Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Bench Bleed Master Cylinder

Quick Reply: Help - Bench Bleed Master Cylinder