C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing 82 Steering Flex Coupling

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Changing 82 Steering Flex Coupling

Need to change the flex coupling. Looking at the manual, it doesn't look like much of a job. The 3rd step says"remove attachment on steering column at toe pan". What's the toe pan Any other tips?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Here are some good tips: http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4. Scroll down to the flexible coupling section.

I found it was easier to drop the steering column and pull it forward to replace the coupler. Sounds like a major job, but it is really simple to do. Don't let the steering column hang after you unbolt it, prop it up with something. I had a plastic tackle box that I wedged between the seat and steering column to take the stress of the column. Don't pry on the coupler to separate it. You could collapse the shaft back into the steering column and will have a heck of a time trying to get it back out. PB Blaster is your friend. Soak all the bolts on the coupler and the shaft for a day or two before you disassemble.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tips, it should be very helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing 82 Steering Flex Coupling

Quick Reply: Changing 82 Steering Flex Coupling