C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic Instruments installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Classic Instruments Speedo & Tach installed

I just installed a new speedo and tach in my 1970. Classic Instruments G-Stock series electronic speedo and tach. I wanted to keep the interior looking as stock as posible and these seemed to fit the bill. The have a slight greenish tint to them just like the stockers, too.

Last edited by 70 LS1; 08-05-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

i like them! looks good! How hard was the install and what was the cost of parts and materials?

thanks for sharing,

Sully
Old 08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

It seems with just a little bit more effort, they could have made the speedo and tach look like duplicates of the factory stock units. I know everyone's taste differs, but for me I'd like the look of factory stock with the convenience of electronic drive. Particularly, it'd be great to get rid of the mechanical tach drive. It tends to get in the way, and restricts your choice of distributors. Also, saying goodby to the mechanical drive going back to the transmission tail shaft would be a convenience.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
It seems with just a little bit more effort, they could have made the speedo and tach look like duplicates of the factory stock units.
True, but they are not targeting early C3's they are targeting all cars from the muscle car era.

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
...for me I'd like the look of factory stock with the convenience of electronic drive.
I too wanted the factory look and first contacted Classic Instruments about converting my speedo and tach to electronic. They wanted $2000 to do that. So I figured these were close enough.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sully1882
i like them! looks good! How hard was the install and what was the cost of parts and materials?

thanks for sharing,

Sully
The install was fairly simple. The hardest part is getting the dash panel out of the car. The stock speedo and tach come out with just a few screws each.

The black ring in the picture is an adapter that I made from a sheet of Lexan. The first one took about half an hour to make and the second took about 5 minutes. I painted them with satin black so they would blend with the stock bezels.

$205 Speedo
$80 Speedo adapter (Dakota Digital SGI-5C converts PCM output to match speedo)
$130 Tach
$10 Lexan
$5 Paint

Get notified of new replies

To Classic Instruments installed

Quick Reply: Classic Instruments installed