C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part Number Descriptions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
77Blue
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Part Number Descriptions

Starting re-construction - bare frame soon to be rolling chassis. Without admiting that I didn't bag/label fasteners when I somehow transitioned from replacing the brakes to a body off I need to know how I find the description to a particular fastener part number from the Assembly Manual. Thanks in advance for the help
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Unfortunetly, identifing hardware (nuts, bolts, etc.) from the part numbers/descriptions in the AIM, is almost impossible.

Hardware was contained in the GM "Standard Parts Catalog". These books contained all GM fasteners, (nuts, bolts & washers, etc.) and also bulbs, fittings, touch up paints, decals/labels and clamps, among other things. These items were only cataloged here and never listed in the regular "Body and Chassis Parts Catalog".

GM listed parts in their catalogs by group numbers, fasteners started in group 8.900. When you turn to group 8.900 in the "Body and Chassis" book it refers you to the "Standard Parts Catalog". Once you turn to the group in the "Standard Parts Catalog", bolts are broken down by english, metric, flanged, 12 point, captive washer, etc. Each type bolt is then listed by size, with a part number then listed for that size, finish and type bolt. It's tough to find individual items in this book. I know of no numerical (or other) listing of part numbers that would have a corresponding size and description for fasteners. GM did produce monthly "Parts Price and History Schedules" that were numerical part number lists, but these only told you what group a part number was found in (or if the part was discontinued). So as you can imagine, a part number for a bolt, once found in the Price Schedule, would only direct you to group 8.900 in the "Standard Parts Catalog".

To make matters more difficult, GM stopped printing all paper books in the 90's. Regular parts catalogs can be found (ebay, swap meets, etc.) but the "Standard Parts" and "Parts Price" books are a lot harder to find. I'm very careful with the ones I have, and don't let them leave my shop.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. Maybe someone out there in the forum, smarter than me, knows of another source. Of course, if you have a freindly, local, Chevy parts man, and the fastener's part number isn't discountinued, you can ask your parts man to look up the number in the GM computer and if available, the computer will tell him the size type, finish etc. He'll probably expect you to order them then though. If so, be aware that GM usually packages hardware in units of 5 or 10.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

77BLUE.

If you want to, put the small parts out on a table and take a picture of them. Email them to me and I'll try to tell you what they are if possible. I've done this one other time for a customer and when you are used to seeing these same parts for over thirty years it's really not that hard. If it is a bolt, take a picture of the head too. . .

If you do this, try to down size the pictures as much as possible. Break them up if you have multiple pictures. Email them to Willcoxcustomerservice@willcoxcorvette.c om

Willcox Inc.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

about a month or so ago a web site was noted on the forum about the "parts and illustrations" catalogue. it has many of the same diagrams as the aim, plus part numbers and fastener sizes. it's a more useful book than the aim.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:43 PM
77Blue
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I was afraid that might be the case. I'll get by - it will just take more time and an extra beer or two.

Get notified of new replies

To Part Number Descriptions

Quick Reply: Part Number Descriptions