C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with an electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:24 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help with an electrical problem

I have to admit, I am better with the mechanical issues then with the electrical problems I have had on my 81. I had to replace the alternator last year and run a new charging wire back to the battery. In the process I think I screwed up the High Speed Blower Relay to the A/C.

My questoin is ..... from the relay to the alternator does the Relay Positive wire first go into and then out of the back of the fuse block (I'm assuming it is fused?), and then connect to the alternator, or am I completely off base?

Could someone take a picture of a stock setup of the 81 or 80 for that matter I assume they are the same, and point out the connections that are on the alternator.
I got the charging problem fixed - the battery now has a return from the alternator. But in the process I may have disconnected a wire that was connected to the alternator because I couldn't figure out what it was for.
I bought a new relay but I don't think I need it - cause I remember taping up a red wire that seemed to come from nowhere. So now I am figureing that it must have been the high speed blower relay wire?

I don't want to make a random connection here for fear of shorting out something.

I'd appreciate some help here.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:57 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I picture would help greatly,
what is the symptom you are trying to fix ?
there is more than 1 positive wire,
so it makes it difficult to advise on your description.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
I picture would help greatly,
what is the symptom you are trying to fix ?
there is more than 1 positive wire,
so it makes it difficult to advise on your description.
Thanks for replying - it turned out to be the high speed blower relay after all. Since I had the new one I decided to go ahead and test it out, sure enough I now have the high speed position on the A/C fan! And frankly no other position really puts out the air but high speed But there now is a big difference between 3 and 4 position on the blower switch now.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with an electrical problem

Quick Reply: Help with an electrical problem