C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Shielding

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:33 PM
hsaarch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Shielding

I was wondering if the plug wires needed to be re-routed to the top of the engine if I switch to headers? Right now the car has the chrome ignition sheilding that runs the wires under the exhaust manifolds. It's a really clean look that I hate to mess with if I don't have to.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Should Clear

Most of the time the wires underneath with 90 degree plug boots will work with most headers. The problem is I dont know which headers wont allow this. Almost all early Vettes make do with the wires under the manifolds. If the stock wires wont clear the Custom make up sets should satisfy any clearance issues. But it will have to have the 90 degree ends. ..

I know I would use them. Underneath makes a nice clean upper half of the engine with out those unsightly wires messing up the equation...out of sight, out of mind..
Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM
hsaarch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I was hoping I could keep all that in place because it really keeps the top of the motor looking clean. Does anybody have header recommendations???? I was thinking ceramic coated because I hate the paint peeling rusty ones..
Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say if you were planning on headers with sidepipes, or retaining the under car exhaust system. If you are planning on headers with sidepipes, the most popular recommendation will be ceramic coated Hookers. There are cheaper sidepipe options, and perhaps in the view of some, better options, but Hooker will be the most common recommendation.
If you are planning on an under car exhaust system, you are going to get a more varied response, because there are more good options, and you will probably get a lot more questions regarding your performance goals, budget, and existing engine and exhaust setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Shielding

Quick Reply: Ignition Shielding