C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition stuck ON! i.e. can't turn the vette off

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ignition stuck ON! i.e. can't turn the vette off

took the '73 vert for a long drive (San Diego to Hollywood) for a play day, and if you have to have an old car "act up", in your driveway after a long drive is ideal. Got home and couldn't turn the car off - ignition stuck in the on position...finally shifted into neutral and *forced* it off. Upon restart couldn't get it off no how no way. Ended up stalling it by choking the carb and blocking the air flow (after about 30 min of beating on the steering column).
Question is: is this common? Need to take apart, re-lube everything and re-assemble? Weird, and better start catalog shopping for new ignition assembly?
At one point I got the key pulled out, car still running, and couldn't get the key back in! Pretty weird, but damn glad it happened in my driveway instead of on the road somewhere.
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, JohnnyB.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 AM
sdonnelly
Pro

If you're lucky it's just the interlock cable. A fairly easy fix that shouldn't require getting into the column. Here's a link to a similar problem, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=interlock
Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnybrewmeister
took the '73 vert for a long drive (San Diego to Hollywood) for a play day, and if you have to have an old car "act up", in your driveway after a long drive is ideal. Got home and couldn't turn the car off - ignition stuck in the on position...finally shifted into neutral and *forced* it off. Upon restart couldn't get it off no how no way. Ended up stalling it by choking the carb and blocking the air flow (after about 30 min of beating on the steering column).
Question is: is this common? Need to take apart, re-lube everything and re-assemble? Weird, and better start catalog shopping for new ignition assembly?
At one point I got the key pulled out, car still running, and couldn't get the key back in! Pretty weird, but damn glad it happened in my driveway instead of on the road somewhere.
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, JohnnyB.
That sounds like the ignition lock is worn out. If you can remove the key in the "on" position, it's worn out.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

It seems to me that you have more than one problem. On your 1973 there should be a lever on the lower end of the steering column that is connected to a cable that runs down to your transmission. When you shift into PARK (auto trans) or into REVERSE (manual trans) the cable should push the lever on your column to the full UP position.

You should have the following positions with your ignition key as you rotate from the full CW: START (spring return out of this position), RUN, OFF, OFF-LOCK, ACCESSORY. Your key should detent in all positions but START.

If the lever is not full UP you should be able to shut off your engine (OFF) but you should not be able to lock your steering column or remove your ignition key (OFF-LOCK).

So it sounds from your description that number one you probably have a problem with the lower lever. However, it further sounds as if you may have an adjustment problem with your ignition switch (down under the dash on top of your steering column jacket) and/or a problem with a worn out ignition lock cylinder (mounted in the column head where you stick your ignition key.)

So first of all, have someone shift into PARK or REVERSE (manual) and look under the brake booster and see if the lever is connected to the trans cable and is the lever moving to the UP position when the trans is shifted. Disconnect the cable from the column lever (cotter pin) and move the lever manualy to full UP. How does the column work now?

If you need to replace the ignition lock cylinder, I have complete instructions on the www.corvettefaq.com websight.

If you need to replace or adjust the ignition switch, that same websight has complete instructions as well.

Jim
Old 11-06-2008, 12:29 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Thanks Jim for the details...it took me a while and a few re-reads to really follow all that you were saying.

You are correct that the lever under the brake booster is not fully straight up, with the car currently in Park. It is pointing to about 10 o'clock. So I will do some investigating to see if I can figure out why. Anybody know what the correct names are for this lever and cable, so I can start googling them for more details?

But it does sound like my ignition lock might be screwed up, so I guess I do have several things to fix at this point.

Regarding the corvettefaq.com reference, I poked around a bit but couldn't find the articles you mentioned, nothing related to ignition lock at all. Can you give a specific link? I tried all the smart key words I could think of for these topics.

Thanks,
John.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:37 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by sdonnelly
If you're lucky it's just the interlock cable. A fairly easy fix that shouldn't require getting into the column. Here's a link to a similar problem, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=interlock
Aha, I re-read this article and things are more clear now. And following the link Jim Shea provided there gives more details on the part naming too. I'm guessing there's a bit more than coincidence in the wealth of knowledge from Jim and the fact that he lives in Saginaw, and he quotes some history involving Saginaw Steering Gear.

Thanks for the great info - golden!

John.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You didn't mention if you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a tilt & telescoping column. They are similar but there are some basic differences. The lower lever on the steering column will not end up straight UP. It moves in a window cutout in the side of the steering column jacket out under the brake booster. 10 o'clock sounds about right for the UP position. Removing the cable from the lever should allow you to manually move the lever as far UP as it will normally rotate. That lever position should allow you to rotate the ignition key to OFF-LOCK.

If you need more information on the steering column/transmission interlock system, here is the link to a paper on that system: http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...tems27JL04.doc

If you need more detailed information on the steering column you will have to download Disassembly & Repair Papers starting with #1. If you determine that you need to drop the steering column out of the dash, you will need D&R Paper #2. Adjusting the ignition switch is covered in D&R #3.

Jim
Old 11-06-2008, 01:35 PM
shabazz18
Advanced

Same thing happened to me. Except I had to pull the hot wire to the distributor to shut it off. I had a bad ignition cylinder so i just replaced it and it was good to go.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:48 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

FINALLY getting to investigate this a bit (sheesh! the vert has been parked for 2 months...I'm suffering withdrawls big time).
Anyway, it does look like the lower lever on the column is fully "UP", even though that is not vertical.
Ignition lock cylinder is suspect at this point. I'll check out Jim's FAQ links above, but I don't have MS Word (for the .doc) so I'll have to get OpenOffice freebie stuff installed.
Thanks shabazz18, I'm hoping this will be the same, and fairly simple to do.

John.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Johnny,
You failed to mention if you have a standard (non-adjustable) or a T&T steering column.

If you have a T&T column here is a link to Disassembly & Repair Paper #1 in pdf format. This paper covers disassembly and replacing of the lock cylinder.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...1-31de2008.pdf

If you have a standard column, I just uploaded Standard Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Paper #1 in pdf format onto the corvettefaq websight.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...dr1-22jn07.pdf

Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient time right not to upload further papers in pdf format. (Maybe I can do a couple a day.)

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 01-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
shabazz18
Advanced

Am I the only one that just starts taking things apart till I find the problem? Not that reading up on things isn't a good idea, I just have more fun figuring things out myself.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 286 Likes on 202 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Originally Posted by shabazz18
Am I the only one that just starts taking things apart till I find the problem? Not that reading up on things isn't a good idea, I just have more fun figuring things out myself.
No, you're not the lone ranger! I will tear into things until I find the culprit. If I get stumped, then I read!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by vetteman1978
No, you're not the lone ranger! I will tear into things until I find the culprit. If I get stumped, then I read!
Garage time is very limited these days (kids + wife + projects = no time)...so I do as much prep work ahead of time. Not as much fun perhaps, but it helps target the real problems, and cuts down on the amount of fixing things that ain't broke. :o

Thanks Jim for the .pdfs! Not T&T for me, just a standard column. I will poke around the docs.

John.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Johnny,
I just uploaded the standard column pdf.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow you'd think it would have run out of gas by now
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Wow you'd think it would have run out of gas by now
Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
77BlueL82
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my interior over I had the same problem, believe it or not there was a short in the circuit board for the low fuel light (never worked till then and hasn't worked since). The car kept on running and I couldn't shut it off. I saw some light smoke comming off the circuit board and paniced. I reached over and pulled the board out and the engine shut off. I replaced it and never had a problem again.

77 L82

Get notified of new replies

To ignition stuck ON! i.e. can't turn the vette off

Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Johnny,
I just uploaded the standard column pdf.

Thanks Jim! Well...whoever thinks that these tasks are "easy" must be a master mechanic and think swapping a tranny out is about "average". Sheesh! So far it has been a pretty big PIA, especially when special tools are needed.

I've followed your directions and gotten the steering column apart and am trying to get the lock cylinder out. But it is quite a bugger. What type of "thin bladed tool" do folks used to depress the spring tab on the lock cylinder? Most of my flat blade screwdrivers are too thick. Also...does key position matter for getting this sucker out??? Mine is jambed up somewhere in the middle, not at OFF-LOCK. I've gotten some tiny screw drivers down in the slot, but can't seem to get this last step done to release the lock cylinder.

I see that all the catalogs sell the lock cylinders, but is there a part # that I can get from any ol' GM dealer for these?

Thanks a bunch - I never would have made it thru the steering column this far without this forum and Jim's instructions!

John.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 AM
johnnybrewmeister
Racer

Just a follow up...forced the bad lock cylinder out, got the new part and installed it + re-assembled the steering column (a first for me). All is good. Took the vert for a victory drive tonite.
Couldn't have done it without Jim's docs - bonus points to you Jim!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:53 PM
shabazz18
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnnybrewmeister
So far it has been a pretty big PIA, especially when special tools are needed.
Everyone should have a steering wheel puller and lock plate tool, especially with an old tilt column GM. Do yourself a favor and get a pivot pin tool too. (or make sure you have a slide hammer)

Quick Reply: ignition stuck ON! i.e. can't turn the vette off