C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 crate motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
nomocrap
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ZZ4 crate motor ?

Will the zz4 crate motor fit a 1979 4 speed corvette with a stock hood? What additional parts will i need to make this swap? Does anyone have this motor in a c3 and how does it perform? I am pulling out the original L48 with just headers and tru 2 1/2 duals. Thanx for any info
Old 11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Replaced the 69 350-350 with this ZZ4.Wide ratio 4 speed and 3:36 rear gear.Very easy exchange,just a few minor mods to take care of.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 11-04-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: For some reason the pic keeps disappearing???
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a ZZ4 in my '70 installed by PO. From what I understand, most parts will move over from the old to the new. Depending on which ZZ4 you get, you will probably need a short water pump, carb, and a flywheel. In addition, the exhaust ports on tne ZZ4 are "D" shaped and may not match up perfectly with your headers or manifolds.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ZZ4 Swap in a C3 Corvette
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM
VRGSVET
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the L48 in my 1980 with a ZZ4 this summer. You will need a Corvette short water pump. You can use your old one if it's not too old, but I'd buy a new one. You will need either a new starter or a new flexplate. The flexplate is smaller diameter. I bought a NAPA starter for a mid-80s Camaro. I used my stock Quadrajet, rebuilt by Lars. Right now I have my stock exhaust manifolds and stock exhaust pipes installed, but will be replacing with headers and full dual exhaust soon. If you use your stock headers, make sure you get some D-port header gaskets. My manifolds leaked badly with no gaskets installed. I reused my oil transmitter and water temp transmitter. Installed the oil transmitter in the same place and the water temp according to Binnie77's directions in the previous post. Both gauges work fine. You should buy new motor mounts, but the stock ones fit fine. All my accessory brackets bolted right up and I'm using my stock alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, pulleys and fan. I bought a cheap drop base air cleaner plus the spacer kit from Autozone so it would clear my stock hood. I've got about a 1/4" clearance from the air cleaner nut. Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
VRGSVET
Advanced

You can also use your stock fuel pump. I bought a new one from NAPA for $30, that way I can use my stock fuel line (with my stock carb).
Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

ZZ4 into a 68 with stock SB hood. No problem with fit. The D port exhausts shouldn't be a concern. If you want, a small bit of grinding will do a good job of matching your headers to the D ports.

Also, another option is to install the Serpentine kit from GM Performance Parts. It fits also. The Serpentine kit will mean you have to remove the radiator shroud and switch over to electric fans.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
tnovot
Racer

Originally Posted by VRGSVET
I just replaced the L48 in my 1980 with a ZZ4 this summer. You will need a Corvette short water pump. You can use your old one if it's not too old, but I'd buy a new one. You will need either a new starter or a new flexplate. The flexplate is smaller diameter. I bought a NAPA starter for a mid-80s Camaro. I used my stock Quadrajet, rebuilt by Lars. Right now I have my stock exhaust manifolds and stock exhaust pipes installed, but will be replacing with headers and full dual exhaust soon. If you use your stock headers, make sure you get some D-port header gaskets. My manifolds leaked badly with no gaskets installed. I reused my oil transmitter and water temp transmitter. Installed the oil transmitter in the same place and the water temp according to Binnie77's directions in the previous post. Both gauges work fine. You should buy new motor mounts, but the stock ones fit fine. All my accessory brackets bolted right up and I'm using my stock alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, pulleys and fan. I bought a cheap drop base air cleaner plus the spacer kit from Autozone so it would clear my stock hood. I've got about a 1/4" clearance from the air cleaner nut. Let me know if you have other questions.
Yeh, what he said. Also, you might have to grind a little off the head of one or more of the timing cover bolts so the water pump will fit.
Terry
Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by nomocrap
Will the zz4 crate motor fit a 1979 4 speed corvette with a stock hood? What additional parts will i need to make this swap? Does anyone have this motor in a c3 and how does it perform? I am pulling out the original L48 with just headers and tru 2 1/2 duals. Thanx for any info
You should seek out zz4 swap info from forum member TopGunn ... he did zz4 and he did it well ... then he found he needed more motor ... then upgraded w/ more cam & heads. I also suggest you consider either gmpp HT383 or ZZ383 ... both make big torque ... and each mirrors same fitment issues as zz4

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/member.php?u=185766

Last edited by jackson; 11-04-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 crate motor ?

Quick Reply: ZZ4 crate motor ?