C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 PM
gbags
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate 350

Who has the best deal on a crate long block 350 @ 290 hp I just know when my 30 year old timing chain broke or whatever happened in there I should probabaly order a new long block crate. The original went in the water for hurricane Rita and I saved her up until now. I am sure she could be saved and rebuilt but I want to drive tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a GMPP crate engine, lots of online vendors to choose from.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Check if there are any dealerships in your area that are closing, they might be ready to cut a deal on a crate motor if they have any in stock. Also check Summit if you don't mind waiting a little longer
Old 12-21-2008, 08:01 PM
gbags
Instructor

Thanks DB I kinda was hoping you would chime in. I respect your views tremendously. Peace and Hasppy Holidays.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gbags
Thanks DB I kinda was hoping you would chime in. I respect your views tremendously. Peace and Hasppy Holidays.

I hope you weren't serious about wanting an engine in so you can drive tomorrow. Great idea above to check with local GM dealerships to see if they have any deals but if they aren't hurting to move the engines they will have them marked up a lot.

Local machine shops might build and sell crate engines, and again, GMPP crate engines are a sure fire fit and you know what you're getting.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Just an FYI; you may also want to call around to your local GMPP dealer - sometimes these dealers will have the engines in-stock...and although the price might be higher there is, of course, no shipping! I've found with the GMPP stuff, it's sometimes a wash by the time you factor in shipping, and some of them will offer "trade price" if you know exactly what you're looking for.

Just type in your zip at the bottom of the page:

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/

Last edited by billla; 12-21-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

I got mine from these guys. You just missed out on the yearly special they have at Thanksgiving for free shipping.

http://www.sdparts.com/catalog/crate...omyEngine.aspx
Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 PM
corvetteterry
Advanced

check out the gm zz383 just got it running today and i was very shocked at how strong the engine is
terry
Old 12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Summit. My local GMPP Dealer wanted $1000 more than Summit for the ZZ4 I bought.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM
rham
Advanced

Originally Posted by billla
Just an FYI; you may also want to call around to your local GMPP dealer - sometimes these dealers will have the engines in-stock...and although the price might be higher there is, of course, no shipping! I've found with the GMPP stuff, it's sometimes a wash by the time you factor in shipping, and some of them will offer "trade price" if you know exactly what you're looking for.

Just type in your zip at the bottom of the page:

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/
Originally Posted by TopGunn
I got mine from these guys. You just missed out on the yearly special they have at Thanksgiving for free shipping.

http://www.sdparts.com/catalog/crate...omyEngine.aspx
I agree with billa. If you are ready to buy go to a dealer near you with the printed prices from Scoggins-Dickey listed above. I used to do paint and body work and at least on body parts they gave a 25% discount. Most counter sales guys get a commission and will negotiate especially on big ticket items. It may not be 25% but if they will match S-D prices it is a good deal. It never hurts to ask. Also if they dont carry it in stock ask about ordering it, most dealers can get just about any part if they have a part number.
Randy
Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by rham
I agree with billa. If you are ready to buy go to a dealer near you with the printed prices from Scoggins-Dickey listed above. I used to do paint and body work and at least on body parts they gave a 25% discount. Most counter sales guys get a commission and will negotiate especially on big ticket items. It may not be 25% but if they will match S-D prices it is a good deal. It never hurts to ask. Also if they dont carry it in stock ask about ordering it, most dealers can get just about any part if they have a part number.
Randy
Like you said it never hurts to ask but I tried that with my local guy because I'd rather give him the business but he said he couldn't compete with guys like SD, they deal in volume and get good prices. You're most likely going to pay sales tax on it too if that applies in your state, I never paid tax on mine.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

My point was - ask the GMPP dealer. YMM(definitely)V, but it's worth a call.

That's all I'm suggesting.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FKING1
Summit. My local GMPP Dealer wanted $1000 more than Summit for the ZZ4 I bought.
Same here, the local dealers dont deal in volume like some of the bigger performance dealers.

I bought my ZZ4 long block for $3,100 from Pace Performance in Ohio. No tax and no shipping charge and great people to deal with.

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=194848

Personally, I would save another 1,000 bucks and go for at least a ZZ4.
The ZZ's have a roller cam and aluminum heads... nice.

The 290 is almost what you had stock and it's still going to be a slug when you're done.

Heres the 290/350 long block from Pace

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=84482

Last edited by Bob Onit; 12-22-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 AM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 350 H.O. from Jegs almost 4 years ago. It's been a very good engine that I'd recommend to anyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Crate 350

Quick Reply: Crate 350