C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Ball Joints Not Installing Correctly

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 AM
71SoCal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lower Ball Joints Not Installing Correctly

I bought a front-end rebuild kit for my '71 from Van Steel recently.

When I try to install the new lower ball joints, the two side bolt holes don't quite align. The ball joint drops into place no problem (I've got the arms off the car), but I can only get one of the "ear" bolts to go in. The other would require drilling an oblong hole in my lower control arm.

I'm having the same problem with both lower arms. I saved my old ball joints, rechecked them, and they align perfectly. My control arms are not damaged.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I can't see how I'm doing anything wrong...there's not much to it.

I'm planning to call Van Steel tomorrow just to run it by them. If anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by stinger12; 12-24-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

YUUP, you heard it from ME, AZ joints, under warranty, did not fit the car, not one bit, would not even slide in place for the main bolt......returned and got my some 80 bux back and went to NAPA where the joints were much finer finished, and looked as if someone gave a damn on the line.....fit fine and still in the car maybe 3? years now.....

There are a boatload of joints out there that came from some damn house/factory somewhere sold under GOD knows who's names and in what boxes....printed who knows where....

but they not worth a damn......CHINA struck again, is what I figger, dunno what else to think.....

OH, I posted that happening to me about 3 months later in response to a thread about VBP having been hit with the same lower ball joint QC issue, they got slammed with the same crap, outta who knows who's supplier box......

Last edited by mrvette; 12-22-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 AM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but doesnt van steel manufacture / rebuild their own parts?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look for the Moog brand....you will be happy with these....
Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nicecorvette
but doesnt van steel manufacture / rebuild their own parts?
Yes they do mfg & rebuild control arms & trailing arms.

But, afaik, Van Steel does not mfg ball joints/tie rod ends/idler arms and neither does VBP nor Bairs nor Ecklers etc etc. ..... that said, several years back I got a front end kit from Van Steel ... it had no-name ball joints but they fit and functioned just fine ... satisfied customer.

MOOG is great ... so is McQuay-Norris ... but you do pay for what you get.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good information to know. I try to use MOOG every time on suspension work. NAPA usually "The Good Stuff". Keep your eyes peeled though.

Let us know what VS says.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 PM
71SoCal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just talked to Dan over at Van Steel. He did say that they've seen this problem before. It's just kind of hit-and-miss with the manufacturers of these things.

I told him what you guys said about the Moog parts, and he said he would ship me two new Moog ball joints asap.

So far Van Steel has had great customer service. I'll let you guys know what happens when I get the parts...hopefully sometime this week.

Thanks for the help...
-Mike
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jackson
Yes they do mfg & rebuild control arms & trailing arms.

But, afaik, Van Steel does not mfg ball joints/tie rod ends/idler arms and neither does VBP nor Bairs nor Ecklers etc etc. ..... that said, several years back I got a front end kit from Van Steel ... it had no-name ball joints but they fit and functioned just fine ... satisfied customer.

MOOG is great ... so is McQuay-Norris ... but you do pay for what you get.
That McQuay-Norris is what came from AZ.....so I wonder who buying what from whom....I swear anymore this stuff is cast over in lands, brought in conex box and sold off in huge lots to various box makers, they stick MADE IN USA on the box and ship it......

sorry to have to say that, but it's MY OPINION from me personal observations of years working on cars/trucks/vettes etc for friends.....and obviously meself....
Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem with ball joints from Van Steel. I ended uo grinding the ears a bit so they fit further in the "V" and the holes lined up.
If I remember correctly, they were MOOG, marked made in Turkey!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
That McQuay-Norris is what came from AZ.....so I wonder who buying what from whom....I swear anymore this stuff is cast over in lands, brought in conex box and sold off in huge lots to various box makers, they stick MADE IN USA on the box and ship it......

sorry to have to say that, but it's MY OPINION from me personal observations of years working on cars/trucks/vettes etc for friends.....and obviously meself....
Based upon how you constructed your post, It appears to me you think my post is BS.
Please advise if I misunderstand.
Otherwise, me thinks you jump too quick.
Any part can fail to conform. Historically, both MOOG & M-N have good records. Again, any brand can fail ... especially when its country of origin changes with the wind. I've always had good luck w/ both ... but I've no doubt someone has had pure crap parts from MOOG too.
I didn't fall off the turnip truck this week either ... & I'm trying to help here ... but I'm done with this one.

-add- of more importance is how Van Steel quickly addresses Mike's issue in what seems best response.

Last edited by jackson; 12-22-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by 71SoCal
I just talked to Dan over at Van Steel. He did say that they've seen this problem before. It's just kind of hit-and-miss with the manufacturers of these things.
-Mike
....hit & miss??? Not something I want to even think about when I'm driving down the expressway @ 70+mph...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Maybe you guys should take a minute to look back about year ago, a lot of interesting ball joint comments. I used MOOG, made here in the USA and they fit. They also cost a LOT more then any of the others. I think Wilcox is selling MOOG in their kits, if true they will have the correct ID stamping on them and are the only ones I know of with MOOG parts. Just about all the vendors sell ball joint/suspension kits and I'm sure most have read this by now as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

do you happen to know the casting numbers for the moog parts? i just bought from willcox and id like to run the numbers on them.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

If you go back to that post on ball joints from last year, I think it was here or on DC you'll find them. Plenty of pictures were posted. If you can't find it I'll take a look again.

PS- I just did a search on DC on ball joints - there's a lot of info still there you should read as much as you can.

Last edited by GTR1999; 12-23-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:14 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user
do you happen to know the casting numbers for the moog parts? i just bought from willcox and id like to run the numbers on them.
I hope they are forged not cast.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:37 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wombvette
I hope they are forged not cast.
The ones that popped out of the MNorris boxes from Auto Zone looked cast, and did not fit the arms, and I did not see any way to make them fit.....some years previously I had bought joints from AZ, hence the warranty replacement from them....but AZone did give me my money back, so like I said I got much better looking joints from NAPA...but they came in a NAPA box that did say USA on it...but so did the MNorris joints.....

but, this is not the only part I have bought over the decades that has a huge quality issue, not like a rebuilder goofs up on a starter, but a major part like a BJ, maybe a idler arm, or tie rod end....something not rebuildable...just made for crap....

IMO, NO maker/supplier/box company is immune from this crap....for one thing, the cheezy rip off supplier has a conex full of this junk....he supplies one set of parts to his 'customer' and says this is that I have....they buy it, lands on the dock, they pack it into their boxes and done deal....until we pull it out and it's fishtunk......

Get notified of new replies

To Lower Ball Joints Not Installing Correctly

Old 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

We offer different types of front end rebuild kits. We have economy kits and we have Moog kits. Not everyone can afford the best of the best all the time, so we have different kits for different peoples budget. Not saying Mike can't afford it, but in general. Even with the Moog joints we have had to drill out the side holes in the arms (not every time) so we could bolt or rivet them in. Not every part from Moog is 100% all the time. If it were, you wouldn't have to use washers, in some cases, to get the castle nut down far enough for the cotter pin hole. The Moog front end kits we purchase are from a local supplier and all boxes say Made in USA.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by another-user

I just check 2 Made in USA lower Moog ball joints and there was not a casting number part number on them. 1 ball joint had a 28 on it and the other a 24.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Nemesis_152
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm going to venture a guess and say that it's a QC problem in the labeling and packaging, or in the drilling. it's not likely that a casting mold is popping out occasional ball joint components with holes a quarter inch off of the location of other components.

Quick Reply: Lower Ball Joints Not Installing Correctly