C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help identifying wire 1978

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:29 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help identifying wire 1978

The interior is out of the car and I'm running new speaker wires "while I'm at it." I have the nest of speaker wires out that are all marked FL, FR, RL, RR all out of the way so I can see what I'm doing. I'm assuming these wires are original and appear to complete the 4 original speaker install that was in the car.

So that being said, I'm looking down the driver's side floor and there's a black plastic wire loom with a bunch of wires going to the rear driver's side of the car. A small ways up the fender hump 4 wires are protruding out of the loom and have spade connectors on them. 2 of the wires are blue and 2 of the wires are black. The black pair are both coming from the back of the car somewhere and the blue pair are coming from the front. Each blue has a black taped to it, so essentially there is a 2 blue/black pairs of wires with connector spades on them, but there's nothing to connect them to. Anyone have an idea what these are for? Is there a relay or module of some sort missing back here where these things plug in?

Im fairly certain these aren't speaker wires because they're not long enough to reach the 2 speaker compartments in the back. And I forgot to trace them when I had the dash off.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Are you saying these wires are simply run under the carpet on the driver side floor? Not something the factory would do. Sound like something aftermarket as black wires are always grounds from the factory.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
19LEW71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be for the door switches on both sides that would trigger your alarm.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:04 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 19LEW71
Could be for the door switches on both sides that would trigger your alarm.
If the blue is Lt blue then it might be the wires that go up to T top alarm switches at the back of each top.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:16 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DWncchs
If the blue is Lt blue then it might be the wires that go up to T top alarm switches at the back of each top.
If it's the harness that runs along the inside rocker by the door,
I was picturing wires under the seat.

This help any? Note view B....

Last edited by KapsSA; 12-26-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:19 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they're light blue. Are these the Ttop alarm thinger and if so, it appears they're disconnected, should I just tie them out of the way and get rid of the spade connectors so they don't touch anything?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2008, 01:40 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Most 78s don't have alarm protection for the tops. If your VIN is before 25000(or 4600 Pace Car) yours won't have it. The wires are probably just there and not utilized just like other options not on a particular Vette, the wires may still be present in the harness.

Get notified of new replies

To help identifying wire 1978

Quick Reply: help identifying wire 1978