C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 pinging

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM
vette blue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 82 pinging

82 vette just started driving it this week, the car is new to me. from 0 mph to 30mph it stumbles under gentle acceleration. Hard acceleration fro 30mph to 60mph it is pinging. For the first 15 minutes of driving it smells of gas. Tank is not leaking. Where do I start? I've never worked with cross fire injection or on board computers before.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 10:39 PM
FICINJECTORS
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vette blue
82 vette just started driving it this week, the car is new to me. from 0 mph to 30mph it stumbles under gentle acceleration. Hard acceleration fro 30mph to 60mph it is pinging. For the first 15 minutes of driving it smells of gas. Tank is not leaking. Where do I start? I've never worked with cross fire injection or on board computers before.

Thanks
sorry we never pay attention down here in c3.. But crossfire is FI,, this 84 c4 had the same problem as you
Old 12-26-2008, 11:52 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent video. I'll have to remember you guys when its time for me.

Vette Blue
The usual CFI things to look for are:

1 Vacuum leaks around your upper plenum gasket and TB bases and any other vacuum connections. Spary carb cleaner and watch for idle changes.
2 Check base timing with the EST brown wire disconnected from the distributor. It should be 6 degrees BTDC
3 Check to see if you have any error codes thrown
4 Check EGR for proper operation by pushing up the underside diaphragm to see if your idle changes
5 Check TPS sensor setting. Should be 5.25 at no throttle.
6 Check to see if your TB throttle plate bushings are worn and are in need of a rebush. Dynamic Crossfire Solutions has a great website that helps you look into this.

Hope this helps and get the GM 1982 Corvette shop manual, the red Helms version. All other manuals are worthless. You an find them on Ebay and vendors of the CF.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 pinging

Quick Reply: 82 pinging