C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd thermostat thing

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default wierd thermostat thing

what is causing this, i put in a new thermostat after flushing my cooling system. i tested the tstat in boiling water and a candy thermometer and it opend up just at the temp it is supposed to.
i get finished with the flush and install the thermostat.

after 10 mins the car is overheating. the upper radiator hose is rock hard.

i let it cool down and unbolt the tstat housing and put it all back together without the thermostat this time and the coolant temp barely got over 210.

i retested the thermostat in boiling water and it opened up again.

strange. i am going to replace it with one of those fail safe models i guess but id like to know what might have been causing it not to open when installed.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:44 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was it installed upside down?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Weird

Did you put it in upside down? PG.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the t-stat was installed correctly (the point will "point" towards the radiator and the spring will point down) the only other problem you could have caused is an air bubble or air lock, which is rare with a vette because the top of the radiator sits below the t-stat. A sure fire way to prevent the air lock is to drill a small hole (1/8" or so ) in the flange of the t-stat. If you are adversed to drilling the bleed hole, install the t-stat, fill the radiator to 4" below the top, start and run the engine at 1,000 rpm. Now look in the radiator with a flashlight, as the temp rises to the t-stat opening temp you should start to see coolant flow from the upper tubes in the radiator. Also, most t-stats won't start to open until they are at or past the rated temp, and they won't be fully open until 10 or 15 degrees beyond the rated temp - you probably noticed this when you tested it with the candy thermometer.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

this t stat already had a bleed hole in it,
it was installed with the spring going down into the intake. the tip section is up.
i dont see how i can fill the radiator to be able to see the water line, the fill cap is on the expansion tank by the right fender. no fill hole in the radiator.
tstat was rated at 195 the gauge pegged the needle. even if it didnt fully open until 10 or so past it shouldnt peg the needle at idle in 10 minutes with the factory rated tstat.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:55 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Try filling the cooling system through the thermostat opening and then install the therm and housing then the radiator.That usually does it.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Did you indicate it got to 210 deg idling with out the thermostat? If so, you have other problems.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aktbird
Did you indicate it got to 210 deg idling with out the thermostat? If so, you have other problems.
it has always idled at 210 with the needle straight up on the gauge. thats only 15 degrees over the thermostat rating. well out of the red zone.

when its over 100 outside it idles in traffic around 225 but goes back to 210 when moving.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DWncchs
Try filling the cooling system through the thermostat opening and then install the therm and housing then the radiator.That usually does it.
that is how i filled it in the first place.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:18 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds like it is time to replace your temp sensor - at idle, your coolant temp should be quite close to the thermostat value.

As far as the upper hose becoming hard, this is normal as the water pressure increases as the coolant warms up. The upper pressure is limited by the radiator cap which opens to let the expanding coolant into the coolant recovery tank.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
that is how i filled it in the first place.
Hmmm Well that should insure the water pump is full but I actually start my fill through the plug in the top of the pump (because I'm a bit ****).With the hole in the thermostat you should have flow.Not saying 210 is great but not knowing what your outside temp is and how accurate your gauge is 210 minus the therm. doesnt bring up "huge" red flags. After running minus the thermostat did you redrain the system to reinstall the thermostat or just remove the housing and reinstall ?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Arn't you the guy on the other website that just backflushed his engine?

You've probably clogged the radiator with engine gunk.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Arn't you the guy on the other website that just backflushed his engine?

You've probably clogged the radiator with engine gunk.
i thought that could have been it but temp is fine without thermostat and water runs through the radiator easily
Old 12-31-2008, 05:16 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
i thought that could have been it but temp is fine without thermostat and water runs through the radiator easily
If your temperature gauge is reading right then you are experiencing the effect of reduced coolant flow on a system that is just barely adequate. The thermostat is most likely opening, but the thermostat is restricting flow just enough to slow the rate of heat extraction to the point where it isn't doing a good enough job and the temperature of the coolant is rising to compensate...heat flow will increase with temperature difference.

Also, as pointed out...the temperature gauge should be reading about 160º at idle without a thermostat if the coolant system was doing it's job. So, it sounds like either your temperature gauge and/or sensor are not compatible or are malfunctioning, and/or something else in the system is not doing it's job such as water pump may not be spinning fast enough i.e. someone put in a larger pump pulley, plugged lines in the radiator core, or perhaps the problem is insufficient air flow through the radiator i.e. fan not turning fast enough, fan too small, missing shroud, etc.

But, if the problem is air flow then the temp should drop while driving above 40mph...as long as you still have the air dam. If this is not the case, then the most probable reason is plugged lines in the radiator core which requires removing the radiator and giving it a nice hot acid bath.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just out of curiosity, does the lower hose have the spring in it?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the thing - IF the t-stat was the ONLY thing changed, then that is the problem. And if the temp gauge reading was fine before, that just confirms it. Put the old stat back in and check it. I can tell you I have experienced similar things with the Mr. Gasket high flow stat (the goofy looking one with the long spring on it). Switching back to the original functioning part will solve your puzzle.

Get notified of new replies

To wierd thermostat thing

Quick Reply: wierd thermostat thing