C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non-power rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default non-power rack and pinion

So who here as a non-power rack and pinion kit installed in their C3? I do all rural driving and no city driving. Just cruising around on wide open roads in rural South Dakota. I have a 69' BB vert with no power steering and the steering feel of that doesn't bother me a bit so that should give you a feel for my tolerance to steering feel. So what kit do you have and how to you like it. I would like a little quicker steering response, maybe less turns lock to lock, and a nice clean, complete, bolt in install.

Who has the non-power rack kits?

-Justin
Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Flaming River is the the only vendor selling non-power R&P kits.

Rick B.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

I think so too. I just thought that maybe if somebody had some other obscure kit they could throw it out here.

Anybody have the flaming river kit?

Justin
Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

My '64 LS2 project is using a Mustang II manual rack and pinion. RevXtreme is going to figure out how to mount it up.. the rack was only $100 so I'm sure we can figure out how to mount it for less than the other $1000 that flaming river wants..

Will post pics when we're done.. probably 30 days..
Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

Steeroids can be used with or without a power steering pump. If You find that you don't like it you can always add a PS pump later on. Probably the same with the others.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Does anybody have a picture of the flaming river steering shaft setup by chance. Probably not, sounds like there are none of them out there. I am not terribly thrilled about all of the linkage in the steeroids arrangement. I don't now how else you would do it though.

-Justin
Old 01-08-2009, 09:09 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I did a power rack install myself , about 6 months before Steeroids came out....it's a fairly simple install really, just found the simplest way to get rid of one unnecessary U joint was to cut a crescent chunk out of the rear lower section of the engine mount horn to allow the steering input to be tipped higher thereby relaxing the angle on the two universal joints I used....

the mounts I devised are not only stronger than anyting I seen commercially, but much smaller and lighter....been there since early 02 and street driven daily....

so yes, the issue is not that hard, the hardest problem is devising a adaptor block to the CTO rack and retain the stock tie rod ends, then you have to extend the tie rod collars....

not a issue.....the headers maybe have to be changed a bit on the driver's side, but that's true for most installs no matter what you do.....typically #1 pipe is in the way....I bought a set of Schoenfeld 'chassis' headers, cured that problem....

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

The flaming river rack is a 4 turn lock to lock unit. Not exactly quick ratio and you have to hack up the car to install it. The Steeroids is 2.5 turns. I've run it manually and it is fine although a bit difficult when parking. Are you running your current steering in the quick ratio position on the steering arms?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Yes I am in the quick ratio setup. I just want to get rid of my powersteering pump and lines and cylinder/valve getup. My power steering pump pulley is so close to the frame that my belt hits on the frame and squeals when I put the car in reverse and I don't want to mess with it too much. I would rather just clean it up and do away with it. It would be great to find a smaller power steering pulley or something but that pump and lines and all of that is just in a bad location and a mess.

-Justin
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I agree with you. I never liked ps pumps on an engine and the stock Corvette mess of lines is very annoying. Just as a thought, have you shimmed the engine mount or changed to a slightly thicker mount to get the belt off the frame? Or perhaps the transmission mount is a little too thick?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

I did install new/stiffer engine mounts. I haven't thought about the trans mount. I have a tubular trans mount and did have to do quite a bit of modification to get it to fit so I could modify that to drop the rear of the trans a bit. Maybe I should just think along that lines and look at steeroids.

Hey mrvette, would you be willing to share some pictures of your install?

-Justin
Old 01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dalannex
I did install new/stiffer engine mounts. I haven't thought about the trans mount. I have a tubular trans mount and did have to do quite a bit of modification to get it to fit so I could modify that to drop the rear of the trans a bit. Maybe I should just think along that lines and look at steeroids.

Hey mrvette, would you be willing to share some pictures of your install?

-Justin
Over the years in these conversations, I have photo'd the thing many times, and even had some diagrams I drew up were scanned, I don't know where any of that is now a daze, as I have switched computers maybe twice since then.....

gimme your email addy or send me one through here, and I see what I can find...no promises....I have stuck them online at my site, but doubt they are there now....
Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

That's OK, I'll search the CF archives for them.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 AM
naasaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I planning to mount a power assisted R&P on my 68 on my own.
Surely the installation will take a bit longer than replacing old with a complete R&P kit, taking all fabrication in account.
searcing through old post i notice that many others are considering this conversion as well.
Wouldn't it be great if others hard earned experiences, as mrvette, could be gathered in one document and saved under Tech Tips?

mrvette, which kind of R&P did you use?

BR
Lars
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at my web site
<-----

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/427v8/c3randp.html
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 427V8
There is the majority of your answers there, but as typical with any hand/garage build, there are slightly different solutions for a similar/exact problem....

he used the original tie rods from a GAm....I used the OEM vette tie rod ends and had a adaptor block made.......

I also tipped the rack as described above,

MY whole install took about a week, after finding the right RACK to use....that took a long time with all sorts of wasted efforts....

Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalannex
Yes I am in the quick ratio setup. I just want to get rid of my powersteering pump and lines and cylinder/valve getup. My power steering pump pulley is so close to the frame that my belt hits on the frame and squeals when I put the car in reverse and I don't want to mess with it too much. I would rather just clean it up and do away with it. It would be great to find a smaller power steering pulley or something but that pump and lines and all of that is just in a bad location and a mess.

-Justin
Did you look into getting a shorter belt for the PS pump? The replacement frame that I bought for my 72 was in excellent condition except for the hole that some meathead mechanic torched in the front crossmember for PS pulley clearance. I bet if he had just used a shorter belt there would have been plenty of clearance. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best ones.

Rick B.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

You really don't gain anything by changing belt length because the pulley follows the same plane as the frame right in that area.

-Justin
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 AM
naasaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments. Very helpfull.
Are the original C3 outer tie rods easy to pair with the Grand Am tie rods?
With Flamming River's kit it's necessary to make cut out at the engine mount. Is it not necessary with this R&P?

Thanks
Lars

Get notified of new replies

To non-power rack and pinion

Quick Reply: non-power rack and pinion