C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to convert from power windows to manual crank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard to convert from power windows to manual crank?

Yes you read that right, I may be interested in converting from power windows to good old fashioned manual crank since I suspect my driver motor is going out and my pass motor is probably dead (either that or an electrical short, either way it's broken).

So how hard is it to do?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I have been looking at this too. Although I haven't torn it apart yet, I believe it's as simple as removing the motor, installing a manual window crankshaft, punching a hole in the door panel and installing the crank and associated components. I priced the parts at about $80 through Corvette Central.
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (03-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The regulators are diffrent but will bolt right into your door. The later year were pop riveted in. You will have to cut the hole in your door pad for the crank. I have some manuals laying around if you are interested send a pm
Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 PM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
I have been looking at this too. Although I haven't torn it apart yet, I believe it's as simple as removing the motor, installing a manual window crankshaft, punching a hole in the door panel and installing the crank and associated components. I priced the parts at about $80 through Corvette Central.
that's what I'm hoping! If its as simple as swapping out the motor for a crankshaft and handle I'm in. Who needs power windows in a classic car! LOL
Old 01-12-2009, 01:18 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

I do, mainly because you can't reach this stupid crank when being strapped to the seat with a belt.

The crank is all the way forward on the door. You need to get your head under the steering wheel to be able to reach it , well sort of.

I installed a aftermarket power window system that keeps the manual crank active . If the power system fails, the manual crank will override a clutch system. Looks great when the handle spinns on its own.

Rgds. Günther
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
CoolvetteC3
Advanced

Originally Posted by WESCH
Hi
I installed a aftermarket power window system that keeps the manual crank active . If the power system fails, the manual crank will override a clutch system. Looks great when the handle spinns on its own.
Hi Günter,
Can you please les us in on which system you used?

I´m interested in making a completion like this too.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Justin,
Real simple...did it to my '73. Hardest part was finding good rebuilt manual regulators. They bolt right in, small hole in door panels and buy the necessary window cranks and small bits.
Primoz (03-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanZ06
that's what I'm hoping! If its as simple as swapping out the motor for a crankshaft and handle I'm in. Who needs power windows in a classic car! LOL
You're not swapping the motor for a crank shaft...you have to replace the entire regulator assembly. It's a bolt in. When you do it, replace all the rollers and guides at the same time.
Primoz (03-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2009, 04:18 PM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NMsharkracer
You're not swapping the motor for a crank shaft...you have to replace the entire regulator assembly. It's a bolt in. When you do it, replace all the rollers and guides at the same time.
Thanks Jack. Look forward to seeing you Friday(?)!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Some pics of the system are on the German Forum.

http://corvetteforum.de/thread.php?t...ilightuser=453

I had to manuafcture longer crank handle adaptors and glue the gear for the window drive system to them.

I also had to dremel the back side of the plastik door panel a touch to make place.

The handle stands a touch more out of the door panel , after a while, the panel expanded and no gap is visible anymore.

The universal drive kit is from SPAL.

http://www.spal-usa.com/

Works pretty well. No limit switches need to be installed. Whenn the window runs against the down or up stop, the increased power draw of the motor shuts it down. Electronic system.

The manual override is a bit heavy and I am always affright I would brake something. But it works and is only required if the electric would fail and you would have to close the window due rain or cold weather.
Well, I do not drive my Vette during rain and rarely in cold weather.

Günther
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM
Father N Son
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have a parts list to complete this conversion?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:19 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

I have a couple of complete manual window doors available off a 69 coupe if anyone is interested....actually they are still on the 69 coupe. good solid metal too. send a PM if interested.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:57 AM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm looking to add power windows. If anyone is interested in trading parts PM me.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:57 PM
nix1981
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

I realize this is an OLD thread, but before I ask in a new one, I thought I'd see if this was completed and how it was done etc.? I'm redoing all the wiring in my 69 and was thinking about converting the PW that the PO installed at some point and making it a manual window car...as I think it was originally. I was hoping it would be simple, but I don't know?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by nix1981
...I was hoping it would be simple, but I don't know?...
Purchase the assembly instruction manual and follow the diagrams for the standard roll up windows. The AIM shows the hardware and parts involved for the cranks and lists the original part numbers.

Get notified of new replies

To How hard to convert from power windows to manual crank?

Quick Reply: How hard to convert from power windows to manual crank?