C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 67-68 Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Papers Posted

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default New 67-68 Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Papers Posted

New and revised 1967 and 1968 C2/C3 Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Papers are now posted at www.corvettefaq.com

There is a set of papers #1 and #2 for the standard (non-adjustable) column and a set #1 and #2 for the telescoping column. Available in word.doc or pdf format.

Papers #1 describes repair procedures to the column head (upper bearing and turn signal switch) that can be done with the column in the car.

Papers #2 describes dropping the steering column and removing it from the car; replacing the lower bearing; and further describes disassembling and lubricating various sliding areas of the column.

Because of the shoddy steering column write ups in the 1968 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manuals (my opinion) I have included corrected blowup drawings as well as descriptive disassembly instructions of the steering columns in these papers.

Go to the corvettefaq.com websight
Click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
Click on Corvette Steering Papers
Scroll down to the 67-68 Standard Steering Column section

or Scroll down to the 67-68 Telescoping Steering Column section

Download Disassembly & Repair Papers #1 and/or #2 in either word.doc or pdf format.

I am very interested in any feedback on the papers.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the papers Jim. They are a big help. I have a column in my '73 that has a lot of up/down-left/right play in a joint about where your knee would be. A rebuilt column seems to be a lot of money and I would like to take it apart myself.

Looking at the exploded views of the column parts scares the He** out of me though so I don't know what to do.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I assume that you have a T&T in your 1973. Go to www.corvettefaq.com
click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
click on Corvette Steering Papers
scroll down and click on the Link:

Tilt & Telescoping Column 69-82 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1 (Rev 31DE2008) - check for loose pivot pins, support screws, & lock shoes, replace lock cylinder, key buzzer, turn signal lever, and adjust telescope lock Link

The first couple pages have some tests that you can perform with the column in the car. Hopefuly that will lead you to understanding what might be wrong with your column.

Quite frankly the steering column is a bit complicated. However, a lot of people have followed my papers and have successfully rebuilt their steering columns.

Jim
Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Bobz08C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
One final question. Can I disassembly my '73 T/T column without having any special tools?
I have an adjustable wrench, screw driver, crow bar and a hammer. Just kidding.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanx Jim,
I hope to get to the rebuild of my 68 steering column this Wednesday. Will print ALL of these pages so I have them with me in the shop. I think I have all the right parts now.

shmoky
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Thank You!

Just to say "Thank You" for taking the time and effort to prepare and post that information.
Trying to repair a steering column without your information would leave most of us with nothing but questions and no answers. PG.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Bob,
The two tools that you will have to beg, borrow, or purchase would be a steering wheel hub puller and a locking plate compressor tool. I believe both tools can be borrowed from major automotive stores.

The GM/Saginaw locking steering columns are a bit complicated. However, my instructions are quite complete and a great number of Vette enthusiasts have disassembled their columns with good success.

Jim
Old 04-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Wankstone
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have downloaded your papers to do a rebuild and the info is great. Do you happen to have any info on the length of the wires coming off the turn signal switch. I bought a new switch and the wires are too short to allow the connector to fit in the bracket on the column. I guess this is not the correct column for the car, It is in a 81 and is non-tilt.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
fwillison
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,
My recently purchased 68 seems to have an unusually low mounting position, in that there is very little room for my legs between the seat and the bottom of the steering wheel. I changed to a smaller 69 wheel which helps a little, but something seems not right.
Everything works fine, though.
Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Wankstone,
All 1981 Corvettes had Tilt & Telescoping steering columns. The T&T column became standard in 1979. Before that time, the standard steering column was a non-adjustable type. T&T was an extra cost option. So someone installed a 1978 (or possibly) a 1977 non-adjustable column in your 1981.

As to why your turn signal switch wires are too short, I can't answer that. I would think that if you ordered a turn signal switch for a 1978 Corvette with standard non-adjustable steering column you should get the correct switch.

FWillison,
If the steering column fits correctly into the instrument cluster. (No large or unsightly gaps where the column goes through the cluster.) There isn't much that can be done to increase the clearance to your legs. The only optional steering column in 1967-68 was a telescoping type. Tilt & Telescoping columns did not become optional until the 1979model year.

The steering column has to attach directly to the steering gear (and there is no adjustment as to gear position.) The column has to fit correctly into the instrument cluster opening, so there just isn't any adjustment available to give you more leg room. Now if there is a really large gap between the top of the steering column as it passes through the cluster cutout, then there might be some adjustment available is someone has installed spacers where the vertical column bolts up into the dash structure. (I don't know why Bubba would do such a thing.) l However, stranger things have happened with vehicles that are over 40 years old.

Sorry I can't provide a real good answer,

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 04-09-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
fwillison
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may be that my seat foam is too thick. There are no gaps and everything seems to fit well.
thanks for your help

Fred
Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Is there a paper for fixing your horn ? (1980) I have all new parts but it looks a little puzzling
Old 04-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Wankstone
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out that the steering column in my 81 is not even a Vette unit. The T & T was removed and a straight GM unit installed at some time during the DRAG life of the car. AS the car is a back-half prostreet I will keep the straight column which hooks up nicely to the Steeroids rack.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Manual Steering Gear Adjustment Pictures

Jim
First, thank you for the information, advice and papers. I wish I had had these 25 years ago with working on my first '69.

I do not see a link for Pictures #1 and #2 under the Manual Steering Gear Adjustments section. The links may have died.

Last, can I remove the steering/tranny lock mechanisms from my '69 column? SCCA likes the lock to be removed for modified vehicles. It looks to me like the steering shaft runs inside this tube but both steering shaft bearings do not contact the lock tube. Is that right?

Locke Mccormick
North Florida Corvette Assn., NCCC
Jacksonville, FL

Get notified of new replies

To New 67-68 Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Papers Posted

Quick Reply: New 67-68 Steering Column Disassembly & Repair Papers Posted