C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add on overdrive/gear splitter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Add on overdrive/gear splitter

I tried a search but no luck.

Anyone added/heard of an overdrive that spilts the gears? Found a company that makes a unit that is added to the rear of the tranny and acts like a splitter. I am aware that the first couple of gears won't be needed to be split but 4th gear would be nice. It would give my 4th 'over' a ration of 0.78 and should be okay for hi-way cruising.

I have a '68 with M21 4 speed.

shmoky

Last edited by shmoky; 03-11-2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it's called a 4+3 and was available in '84-'88 C4s. I have never heard of anyone swapping one into a C3.

You could also get a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit.

You are probably better with a 6-speed swap.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Someone else may know more,but I don't think the Gear Vendors unit will fit thes cars without some serious tunnel mods.Typically they are used on trucks and motorhomes where space is not so much of an issue.Ask the C4 guys about the 4+3 unit,I don't think many are too impressed with that setup.
The following users liked this post:
Boombastic Corvette (08-16-2023)
Old 03-11-2009, 01:02 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth...the 4+3 is really a decent transmission and the overdrive lasts a LONG time if you disable the computer turning it on and off all the time.

My neighbor runs one in his 73 so I know they fit in C3s. He love it.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

The Gear Vendors overdrive is very expensive. Better to install a TKO overdrive. Vettes do not need any 2nd or 3rd gear overdrive.

I don't know about fitting a 4+3 from a C4 into a C3. What's the benefit ?

Or better, what's the benefit to a TKO 5 speed overdrive ?

Rgds. Günther
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

your better off going with a kiesler tko. about the same price, and a drop in fit.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:45 PM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fugawi
your better off going with a kiesler tko. about the same price, and a drop in fit.
That's what I thought but heard about it and thought I would ask here. Knew I would get some responses to guide me.

The TKO is a little more $$ but the benefits are so much more.
shmoky
Old 03-12-2009, 06:27 PM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfi racing
Someone else may know more,but I don't think the Gear Vendors unit will fit thes cars without some serious tunnel mods.Typically they are used on trucks and motorhomes where space is not so much of an issue.
Exactly, not to mention your driveshaft would be what, a foot long?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

I had asked about the overdrive unit from the C4 before as well and every1 was quick to jump and say that it was no good. Considering that the 4+3 transmission is the same trans as the late c3's with the 4 speed just with an overdrive attachment. Those that do a 5 speed conversion and source their own parts usually get their drive shaft shortened for $200 or so. I can't see the cost of the overdrive unit being more than 200-400 bux. That still puts you under the $1000 range whereas you're looking at over $3000 to get a keisler, plus for those of us with manual transmissions already we have to go through the hassle of cutting the cross member and then figuring out a way to attach it back together. My uncle had an 86 corvette with the 4+3 for 15 years and he always boasted about it, never had a single problem with it. But maybe he's the exception.

Brownc00 I'd like to hear more about your neighbour's car. Would it be possible for you to ask him some questions as to what was involved in his swap and how much it cost?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the Keisler kit you get a lot more that just the OD trans. The trans drops into place with no mods, comes with all the parts you need right down to the shorter drive shaft, speedo gear, mounts, nuts and bolts and a great shifter. I installed mine last summer and love it! Best mod I've made.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 PM
battsup
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Raphiki
With the Keisler kit you get a lot more that just the OD trans. The trans drops into place with no mods, comes with all the parts you need right down to the shorter drive shaft, speedo gear, mounts, nuts and bolts and a great shifter. I installed mine last summer and love it! Best mod I've made.
Yes the keisler kit is a good bolt in kit that has worked great for many members on here. However to spend $3 grand on a transmission you would be better off spending another 2-3 grand and doing an LSX conversion. Especially for some1 in Canada such as myself, it would cost me $4000 to get a keisler kit after shipping and currency conversion. At that price it doesn't make any sense to do the swap, especially when a full LSX conversion can be done around and even under $6000 with a T-56!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by battsup
Yes the keisler kit is a good bolt in kit that has worked great for many members on here. However to spend $3 grand on a transmission you would be better off spending another 2-3 grand and doing an LSX conversion. Especially for some1 in Canada such as myself, it would cost me $4000 to get a keisler kit after shipping and currency conversion. At that price it doesn't make any sense to do the swap, especially when a full LSX conversion can be done around and even under $6000 with a T-56!
Schmoky just built a new High HP motor for his car. The TKO is a much better option. Then he has a new engine/new trans. An LSX/T56 conversion is a long way from a bolt in installation and $6000 would be a very conservative estimate and end up with used components thoughout. So would an overdrive for under $1000. Don't know how you would do that where it could hold up to his power level. TKO is the answer. Maybe talk to Kevin @ Vettesbydesign. Forum sponser, great guy and hungry. Probably figure out how get it to you cheaper.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 AM
shmoky
Melting Slicks

Thanx Kevin (63mako). Yes I have talked to Kevin (vbd) about the TKO and he had the BEST price. Will be dealing with him when the time is right (Canadian $$$ gets stronger )

I figured that the TKO was the right way to go but heard about this OD unit and thought I would ask. And you're right about the new high HP motor. I DON'T need to get another motor.

shmoky
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keisler price match plus

Originally Posted by shmoky
Thanx Kevin (63mako). Yes I have talked to Kevin (vbd) about the TKO and he had the BEST price. Will be dealing with him when the time is right (Canadian $$$ gets stronger )

shmoky
Do your homework and call us, we will beat ANY competitors price on a comparable kit.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Drunken Peacock
Intermediate

I looked into the overdrive unit (Gear Vendors) and it's close to $3K.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 PM
brownc00
Instructor

Originally Posted by battsup
I'd like to hear more about your neighbour's car. Would it be possible for you to ask him some questions as to what was involved in his swap and how much it cost?
Sure, I'll ask him the next time I see him. Like you said, it is the same 4 spd T10 that GM used for several years with a Doug Nash overdrive on the back. I doubt it would require much more than a shorter rear shaft in a 4spd car to do the conversion. They are quite decent if you dump the computer controlled part of them and just turn on overdrive when you want it on.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Didn't Hone manufacture an 'add-on' overdrive unit back in mid-late 60's - and wasn't it offered as an option on Baldwin Motion cars - also on campers - may be a potential junkyard find? I seem to think these have got good money on Ebay in the past!

Get notified of new replies

To Add on overdrive/gear splitter

Old 03-14-2009, 07:58 PM
myc3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a used Gear Vendors (ebay $1200) in my 77 with no more than a small tunnel mod and a shortened drive shaft. Since the 77 has a metal tunnel I only had to use a porta power to open the tunnel a little where it narrows just past the tail shaft. It was done in one afternoon. This was with a 3.70 differential. Lots of fun. Don't be afraid of a GV unit if you have a steel tunnel.

I am now in the process of replacing the engine with a 406 and I will be replacing the Gear Vendors with a D&D Performance Chevy/Viper 6 speed.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
JaimeVrod
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FOr what it is worth, I have a Gear Vendors unit on my 69 Vette with M21 transmission. I love it. It was on the car when I bought it. It uses a T handle hurst shifter with a button in the handle to electronically activate the overdrive.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Always figured the gear vendors set up was sweet still I will go with a 5 speed from someone. Awaiting more feedback about the Kiesler RS series.....sounds like the perfect option?

Quick Reply: Add on overdrive/gear splitter