C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Rebuild Rear Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 PM
bernie payne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to Rebuild Rear Suspension

I just Rebuilt my front end suspension, and went in to get an alignment. I knew that my rear suspension was bad, but I did not expect it to need completely rebuilding. The mechanic that did the alignment told me that everything in the rear was horrible. He said the shims were all rusted, all my bolts rusted, and I knew all the bushings were bad. So now, I just need to find a good kit to completely rebuild my rear suspension. Does anyone have any suggestions? Willcox, do you have any kind of kit?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 PM
James B
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are talking about shims it sounds like the trailing arms need to be rebuilt. I have seen bolts/shims/TA bushings rust together into a big nasty mess. If you cannot remove the bolts by using a wrench it will be time to get the saws all out and cut the bolts so you can the the TA out. Once it is out you can have it rebuilt by Van steel or someone like that.

As far as the rear diff goes, you need to check the end play of the yokes in the rear differential.

Check out the rear strut bars and if they are bent replace them. Sometimes people bend the rear struts to adjust the camber, this is not the correct method. I would recommend the smart struts from VBandP.

I think that should cover it, but this was a quick response and I might have missed something.

Originally Posted by bernie payne
I just Rebuilt my front end suspension, and went in to get an alignment. I knew that my rear suspension was bad, but I did not expect it to need completely rebuilding. The mechanic that did the alignment told me that everything in the rear was horrible. He said the shims were all rusted, all my bolts rusted, and I knew all the bushings were bad. So now, I just need to find a good kit to completely rebuild my rear suspension. Does anyone have any suggestions? Willcox, do you have any kind of kit?

Quick Reply: Time to Rebuild Rear Suspension