C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Running a Speed Demon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone Running a Speed Demon?

If you are running a Speed Demon I would love to pictures of your accelerator linkage
Old 04-14-2009, 04:00 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I bought every kind of adjustable and finally figure out that the smart thing to do is just make your own.

I don't have a picture. My car is in a body shop right now
Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM
BillysRed1980
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 750 speed demon on my 1980. I didn't replace anything other than the Q-jet and intake when I installed it. I just bolted up the accelerator wire and the TV cable onto the speed demon, and it worked! I'll post some pictures later tonight for you.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:24 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

no pics but i just used the standard lokar cable and bracket and voila perfect.

it is on a th400 so no tv cable necessary but lokar has one of those as well
Old 04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Here is a picture of my present setup. The outside cable is cruise control and the inside one is throttle. If I didn't have to have that pair of return springs on the front, I would be happy with what I have. In order to get the carb to return to idle I have to have a fair tension on those return springs which in turn makes for a pretty stiff pedal. Maybe I should be looking for another problem as with both cables disconnected and the springs unhooked, the carb will not return to idle.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 PM
BillysRed1980
Advanced

Originally Posted by Binnie77
If I didn't have to have that pair of return springs on the front, I would be happy with what I have. In order to get the carb to return to idle I have to have a fair tension on those return springs which in turn makes for a pretty stiff pedal. Maybe I should be looking for another problem as with both cables disconnected and the springs unhooked, the carb will not return to idle.
I have the idle problem too... same solution, lots of spring tension... oh well, gives the car the same feel as a euro sports car (my old Bimmer and my Dad's Jag both had rediculously heavy pedals).
Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

I want your carburetor also! nice
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Originally Posted by BillysRed1980
I have the idle problem too... same solution, lots of spring tension... oh well, gives the car the same feel as a euro sports car (my old Bimmer and my Dad's Jag both had rediculously heavy pedals).
WOW, okay this is very reassuring. Over the weekend, I tuned my setup, and the only way I could get the carb to hit idle was to push the butterfly linkage forward by hand. It seems as though there is ever so much play in the throttle linkage, perhaps by way of a weak butterfly return spring, that prevents the carb from idling down from acceleration.

Which is really irritating me, because I got the darn thing to idle at 500RPM, thanks to a fully balanced rotating assembly and proper mixture with my new Wideband O2 sensor. After light accel, it settles down around 1000 RPM. I want the car to stumble back and forth, rocking me gently to sleep! I want to hear the individual cylinders firing, as it does at 500RPM!

I'll have to try the heavier return spring, I'm just using some cheap (read: expensive) Lokar setup right now.

the blonde weasel
Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 PM
BillysRed1980
Advanced

Originally Posted by Binnie77
If you are running a Speed Demon I would love to pictures of your accelerator linkage
as promised... though later than I thought

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Running a Speed Demon?

Quick Reply: Anyone Running a Speed Demon?