C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High RPM short travel HR lifters, solid cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:10 PM
dp9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High RPM short travel HR lifters, solid cam

ok, here we go. I know im gonna get crucified for throwing this one out there, but it should be fun.

I hear a lot about guys running solid roller lifters on hydraulic roller cams, but anyone running hydraulic roller lifters on a solid roller grind cam?

Lunati and comp both have some new high rpm (7200 rpm) HR lifters out.

Lunati: http://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGr...0&cid=28&pid=2
The tech guy I talked to at Lunati said these could be used on a solid roller grind cam, also said they can take spring pressures of 225 on the seat, and up to 550 open.

Comp: http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...pdf/page10.pdf
The tech guy I talked to at Comp said these could be used on a solid roller grind cam too. said they can take spring pressures of 150-170 on the seat, and up to 400 open.

not that anyone's interested, but this is the cam im gonna run the lunati lifters on:
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1993&gid=290
but with a 108 ICL and a 112 LSA.

Ive been told that they HR lifters will make the solid cam act larger at .050
since the lash spec for the cam is low (.016), the lunati tech guy said that the .050 duration would grow by .008

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on doing this? streetability, duration effects on performance, sheering force on the lifters, effects of a rev kit, anything else you think of

-Dan

Last edited by dp9; 05-02-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

If you're running a solid roller cam, the proper lifters for that cam will outperform any hydraulic lifters you would install. That's the reason for going solid roller....no rev kits or other aids needed. There are low lash cams available if you wish, or you could custom order the cam with the duration specs you want.

Now if you're going hyd. roller, however, these high rpm lifters could save you the expense of a rev kit if your cam can make power at the higher RPM.

Last edited by C3 Stroker; 05-02-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:36 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I sent them an email, I might try these in my 427ci
Old 05-02-2009, 11:25 PM
dp9
Racer

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I sent them an email, I might try these in my 427ci
so I'm not the only one crazy enough to do this
Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by dp9
so I'm not the only one crazy enough to do this
IF they say they will work with my solid roller cam and if they say I can rev it to 7500 RPM I might try them
Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You can probably get some OE LS7 lifters for a helluva lot less.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
If you're running a solid roller cam, the proper lifters for that cam will outperform any hydraulic lifters you would install. That's the reason for going solid roller....no rev kits or other aids needed. There are low lash cams available if you wish, or you could custom order the cam with the duration specs you want.

Now if you're going hyd. roller, however, these high rpm lifters could save you the expense of a rev kit if your cam can make power at the higher RPM.
the idea of running a zero lash lifter on a lash camshaft is intriguing to say the least....you could pick up more lift and dur. and not beat up the valve train or roller needles......pretty cool if it works....
Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I still don't get why these hybrid are so interesting to so many people?

The ONE thing a hyd roller cam can do is be quieter than some solid cams. To do that takes a cam design that doesn't slam the valves around..primarily on the closing side for both of them. The typical HR cam has pretty big seat duration for the .050/.0200/.300 duration numbers...so you lose some low speed manners and some *snap*.

The short travel HR lifters were designed for goofy racing class rules that required HR lifters. The idea was to save costs and restrict everyone a little. But people are too smart for that..they spent insane $$$ buying lifters that met the rules, yet acted like Solid lifters. Before that people machined their own lifter guts to accomplish the same thing. No one cared if they were quiet....they just wanted them to meet the rules and rev. better. They aren't too quiet.

A solid cam doesn't have all these issues. In fact a good solid flat tappet will move off the seat as fast or faster than most rollers. After the mid lift area the roller takes over.

So we put short travel hyd lifters on a solid roller....it is now not able to be as quiet as a HR should be, it makes it a little lazier down low...and it won't rev like the SR.

There are many lobes that are marketed to work as a Hyd and as a solid cam. That means they aren't that great at being either one.

We just did the SR lifter on a Hyd roller cam test. Guess what? SR lifter set at .002 did better than the Hyd roller lifters even at lower speeds..and flat spanked them above 6400 rpm. Noise wasn't an issue.

If you are limiting your self on RPM with a BBC to under 6500 RPM the Hyd lifters do OK.....if it's a small block...you can get near 6800- 7000 if you're lucky...if it's an LS...you can go well past 7000 rpm. It all comes down to valvetrain weight, pushrods etc.

With all the detail work that is done to design cams today for specific applications and needs...there is no need to mix and match stuff. Just get what you need. Setting valves these days is almost a non issue....good parts don't require you to mess with them.

JIM
Old 05-03-2009, 05:18 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I still don't get why these hybrid are so interesting to so many people?

The ONE thing a hyd roller cam can do is be quieter than some solid cams. To do that takes a cam design that doesn't slam the valves around..primarily on the closing side for both of them. The typical HR cam has pretty big seat duration for the .050/.0200/.300 duration numbers...so you lose some low speed manners and some *snap*.

The short travel HR lifters were designed for goofy racing class rules that required HR lifters. The idea was to save costs and restrict everyone a little. But people are too smart for that..they spent insane $$$ buying lifters that met the rules, yet acted like Solid lifters. Before that people machined their own lifter guts to accomplish the same thing. No one cared if they were quiet....they just wanted them to meet the rules and rev. better. They aren't too quiet.

A solid cam doesn't have all these issues. In fact a good solid flat tappet will move off the seat as fast or faster than most rollers. After the mid lift area the roller takes over.

So we put short travel hyd lifters on a solid roller....it is now not able to be as quiet as a HR should be, it makes it a little lazier down low...and it won't rev like the SR.

There are many lobes that are marketed to work as a Hyd and as a solid cam. That means they aren't that great at being either one.

We just did the SR lifter on a Hyd roller cam test. Guess what? SR lifter set at .002 did better than the Hyd roller lifters even at lower speeds..and flat spanked them above 6400 rpm. Noise wasn't an issue.

If you are limiting your self on RPM with a BBC to under 6500 RPM the Hyd lifters do OK.....if it's a small block...you can get near 6800- 7000 if you're lucky...if it's an LS...you can go well past 7000 rpm. It all comes down to valvetrain weight, pushrods etc.

With all the detail work that is done to design cams today for specific applications and needs...there is no need to mix and match stuff. Just get what you need. Setting valves these days is almost a non issue....good parts don't require you to mess with them.

JIM

I have T&D shaft rockers and they stay set where you set them, I am pretty impressed
Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
IF they say they will work with my solid roller cam and if they say I can rev it to 7500 RPM I might try them
Not meaning to sidetrack here, but MotorHead, you have a setup similar to mine w/solid roller 427sb and T&D shafts on AFR's......the lifters I have are Comp Endure-X rollers; I can safely rev this combo to 7500 rpm. I'm guessing you should have this potential currently also. Should be an interesting reply about the new super hyd. lifters.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

There are also folks who take HR's and adjust them all the way down to the bottom of the travel and then back off enough to allow .005"-.010" clearance (dial indicator) in lifter. That removes most of the oil from the equation and can allow some more RPM. Just the opposite of the old *zero lashing* technique.

JIM
Old 05-03-2009, 06:42 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

reading through all of this...I still don't understand the benefits of HR vs SR...why not just use the lifters for the cam it was designed? FWIW..I've reved mine to 7200 and had let up as the revs were climbing...I'm just not used to a 4.25" stroker reving that high....
Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Longevity is all I would be looking for if it revved the same as my solid rollers, I will also get almost .020" more lift
Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

The only way they last any longer is the cams for HR's are milder...and use less spring pressure. A HR lifter still has needles. Once you start putting pressure on them like a SR.....they die too.

The HR's don't even have pressurized oil to axles...so you can imagine what will happen when everyone starts turning them into solids.

I'd rather use a mild SR..it doesn't require much spring...and can live a long time.

We just busted well over 800HP with a very streetable flat tappet in Doug's 555" motor I built for him. On pump gas at 6500 RPM! We tested SR, HR and SF....all did pretty well!

JIM
Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
dp9
Racer

The only way they last any longer is the cams for HR's are milder...and use less spring pressure. A HR lifter still has needles. Once you start putting pressure on them like a SR.....they die too.
The other lifters I was considering were these from Isky:
http://www.iskycams.com/ISKY-RedZoneEZRoll3.pdf

SR with pressurized oiling and no needle bearings might be an answer.

I want my lifters to survive on the street, so I've been shying away from SR. I want them to rev to 7200 rpm, but I dont want to blow up HR. All these lifters are claiming they can do both.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd rather use a mild SR..it doesn't require much spring...and can live a long time.

JIM
Comp Cams 288 or 305 AR
Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dp9
I want my lifters to survive on the street, so I've been shying away from SR.
Oil is the magical word...lubricate the SR, they will last

Originally Posted by dp9
I want them to rev to 7200 rpm, but I dont want to blow up HR. All these lifters are claiming they can do both.
Then use solid rollers and you won't blow them up and you will rev 7200 and above...

Get notified of new replies

To High RPM short travel HR lifters, solid cam

Old 05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by GDaina
Comp Cams 288 or 305 AR
That's correct they make street roller cams and I got over 20,000 miles on the first generation Comp Cams solid roller lifters with no oiling to the bearings other than crankcase splash.

Key was not to let it idle too long with revving it up and I used oil restrictors to keep more oil in the center / bottom of the motor rather than in the valve covers.

I am now using their new Endurex or whatever it they are called and they have direct oiling to the bearings, we will see how long they last
Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Crap I just remembered you guys are using retro lifters.

If your using an OE hyd roller block instead of blowing you cash for some 700 buck lifters you can get some caddy racing lifters as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

The HR's don't even have pressurized oil to axles...so you can imagine what will happen when everyone starts turning them into solids.

We just busted well over 800HP with a very streetable flat tappet in Doug's 555" motor I built for him. On pump gas at 6500 RPM! We tested SR, HR and SF....all did pretty well!

JIM
Just how much power do you really lose using a solid flat tappit compaired to a solid roller ? they claim the more modern faster ramp solid flat tappit cam has closed the gap some on the power ifference between the two. From what I can find out the real culprit for flat tappit failures is the cheap offshore lifters that have been sold, using oil as an excuse for selling cheap bad quality lifters.

Quick Reply: High RPM short travel HR lifters, solid cam