C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Tunnel Insulation

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Transmission Tunnel Insulation

I dropped the body on my 69 last week and realized that I left the tunnel insulation out. It didn't have any when I got the car, but had bought a new replacement. So do I lift the body and install it or leave it out and just insulate the inside of the tunnel area?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just press it into place.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RobRace10
I dropped the body on my 69 last week and realized that I left the tunnel insulation out. It didn't have any when I got the car, but had bought a new replacement. So do I lift the body and install it or leave it out and just insulate the inside of the tunnel area?
If you can remove the shifter you can slide it into place pretty easily. Make sure all the bendable tabs are straight out so you can punch them through the insulation then bend them over.

If not, you can cut a slit in the side of the insulation where the shifter opening is to go around the shifter.

cc
Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 AM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

There are two insulations, the horse shoe, yes I can press that in place, but the large insulation piece is going to be an issue. I have another couple things I need to fix so I guess I will lift the body back off as I just dropped it last week and not much other than the bolts to remove. I also wanted to change a few shims around so I'll bite the bullet and do it all tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seem like a lot of trouble just for the tranny blanket. Can't you maneuver it into place starting at the rear and sliding it forward? I wouldn't even remove the shifter; just cut a slit.

Then press onto the tabs and bend.

Not that simple?
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RobRace10
There are two insulations, the horse shoe, yes I can press that in place, but the large insulation piece is going to be an issue. I have another couple things I need to fix so I guess I will lift the body back off as I just dropped it last week and not much other than the bolts to remove. I also wanted to change a few shims around so I'll bite the bullet and do it all tomorrow.
Now you are sounding like me. Even though I really don't want to I will do what I have to to make it right. What else have we got to do, right?

cc
Old 05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CCrane72
Now you are sounding like me. Even though I really don't want to I will do what I have to to make it right. What else have we got to do, right?

cc
Yes that's it, I'll do what I have to to make it right as if I get the car done and there is excessive heat the 2-3 hours spent now is a lot less time and work than after it's all back together. I just forgot about the insulation. I went over the chassis and tub several times making sure I got everything tight and where I wanted it before I dropped the body, but missed that as it didn't have one when I took it apart and I ordered the replacement part probably two years ago.

The right side # 3 mount could use a little more shim and a one less on the # 4. I can get the # 4 out without taking the body up, but the # 3 it has to come up. I also did a T5 swap and it would be a little better to move the shifter a 1/4" to the drivers side and the only way to get the shifter off, then cut and re-weld the bracket where I want it is drop the tranny or lift the body.

Yeah I have nothing else to do..... This is what I did tonight. This is part of my new Forumla Car bodywork that I have to repaint. Lots of pieces, wings etc, as if I didn't have enough to do. This was white, but my cars have to be black!

Last edited by RobRace10; 05-15-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:31 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Very

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Tunnel Insulation

Quick Reply: Transmission Tunnel Insulation