C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible my rings have not seated yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I always run a bead of RTV along the bottom of the intake gaskets regardless of whether anything has been milled or decked.

To the original poster, I didn't see anything about how you seated the rings did you follow any procedure for this ?
I'm the original poster...and I'm going to look stupid but I'll ask anyway. What's the proper procedure for break-in?
Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RMVette
I'm the original poster...and I'm going to look stupid but I'll ask anyway. What's the proper procedure for break-in?
there is really no certain way to break in rings on a new re build.....proper honing and clearances along with how the rings are installed make all the difference in how well the rings will seat in....there are those who swear by several moderate pulls in a lower gear and letting off the gas to create a high vacuum condition to help seat rings..usually a moot point if equipped with an auto trans.....simply put..if you went through proper cam break in procedure, your rings should have seated then....some say chrome is harder to seat....all depends on the fit and hone job.... there are other factors that will contribute to excessive oil consumption.....
Old 05-20-2009, 07:35 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Oh thanks for letting me in on that info, but I think I will break my rings in the proper way. Auto trans doesn't have a low gear that will act as an engine brake ?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will have to add we build a lot of circle track engines and all are plate honed and seem to seal up on the dyno with no issues, I know some guys that have there blocks honed with out a plate and these guys always have to run rags on there breathers and even after 2 or 3 years of running they still need rags,

My conclusion is the rings never sealed up in 3 years of hard running Iguess they need more then that??? And we have even leaked them down and have seen on an average of 15% leak down.

Proper machine work and honing with get good ring seal.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:53 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

So they weren't honed with plates and they didn't seat. And you plate hone them and run them on a dyno and they seat ?

Good, sounds like taking a new motor with no mles on it to 6000RPM on a dyno helps seat the rings properly, thanks for confirmation

Quick Reply: Is it possible my rings have not seated yet?