C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Chrome Coating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 09:15 AM
68 Magnum
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Chrome Coating?

I have a number of trim items off my car at the moment. I'm going to polish them and would like to coat them before reassembly. Is there any coating better than wax? I know polished aluminum wheels use a clear coat, will this work on chrome?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 02-07-2002, 10:01 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Best Chrome Coating? (68 Magnum)

I'm no expert by any stretch, but wouldn't a clear coat over chrome, yellow or dull the finish to an extent? Especialy over time? :confused: :confused: It definitly would chip from road debris... and chip as you tightened the lugs.
I'd like to know more about this too, so....experts... let's hear from ya!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-07-2002, 10:04 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Best Chrome Coating? (68 Magnum)

You can't clearcoat chrome (at least not successfully). Clearcoat is paint and won't adhere to the chrome’s smooth surface. The best treatment for chrome is to keep it clean with polish, wipe it down with ammonia cleaner like Windex, and wax it occasionally.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:38 AM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best Chrome Coating? (gerry72)

The Eastwood Company makes an aeresol that supposedly protects metal/chrome/alloy parts without yellowing.They say it can be used on alloy wheels, so it might be worth looking into. here's the link www.eastwoodco.com Look under the buffing/metal polishing and search for part # 10200Z

[Modified by 82dukman, 9:41 AM 2/7/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Best Chrome Coating?

Quick Reply: Best Chrome Coating?