C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling my solid roller 496

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Originally Posted by jackson
When installed properly, I'm sure DeWitts will do a good job & that Tom's product & support is worthy of your business. That said, I doubt your TruCool rad itself is at fault.
I have no dout that Toms radiator will cool my engine, but I can't say that about the TruCool. Toms radiator is proven and if it will not cool my engine than I know to start looking at the engine. May have to pull it out and tear it down, maybe time for some aluminum heads.

Do you have any suggestions on were to look other than were I have already looked.

Neal
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
When installed properly, I'm sure DeWitts will do a good job & that Tom's product & support is worthy of your business. That said, I doubt your TruCool rad itself is at fault.
If they are both close to the same size, I wouldn't think that switching is going to make much difference.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How old is your existing radiator?
Is there any chance that it could be full of scale in the tubes that is hurting heat transfer?
If the radiator is clean, it seem like it has to be an airflow issue.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:13 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Dump that filler neck on the thermostat

If you still have issues after the above changes and the new package is installed, I would go back to the standard water pump. By making this one change you'll be able to see if the high flow pump alone was helping or hurting. Dozens of people have told me they made their car run hotter because the flow was too much for the radiator.
The filler neck on the thermostat is one of the best things you can do. I also have the Stew stage III and a Weiand Team G on my other motor.

If the radiator does not have enough volume in the cross flow tubes I could see pressure building on top.

My question is: Are you running any kind of restrictor in the filler neck?

I have used the 7/8th inch washer and the 190 degree high flow thermistats with a couple holes drilled in them to great success.

I have trouble getting heat in my motor even on 90 degree days. Because i also have the manifold rear cooling lines coming in after my thermostat. I takes a long time of drive to even get 190. But under racing conditions for a 20-30 minute sprint road race I often see 220 and during the cool down it's right back to sub 190.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

1. The stage 3 pumps are not designed for that low an rpm.
2. Try moving the pushers and the oil cooler out of the way to test, even if you just tie wire them somewhere temporarily.
3. Are you using the pump bypass (front of manifold to top of waterpump, nut sure if the stage 3 pumps even have that port)
4. What are the dimensions of the present rad and core thickness.
5. How old is the present rad.
6. When idling, break the core into different quadrants and note the readings from the ir gun.

There is a good chance that this is happening at least with the pump, not saying there might not be radiator or air flow issues.

Around town you are running pretty cool for most BB.
Even though the Stage 3 pump is designed for high rpm, at city driving rpms and when you are checking it at idle etc, it shows good flow. It doesn't matter much because you are not producing a lot of heat.
At highway speeds with increased rpm , the impeller being designed for much higher rpm and a more flow friendly system is really cavitating and thus reducing your flow and cooling. It's a great pump, but not for your purpose. I normally use Stage 2 pumps and they almost work too well.
I would contact Stewart and ask about the cavitation.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by noonie
2. Try moving the pushers and the oil cooler out of the way to test, even if you just tie wire them somewhere temporarily.
3. Are you using the pump bypass (front of manifold to top of waterpump, nut sure if the stage 3 pumps even have that port)
6. When idling, break the core into different quadrants and note the readings from the ir gun.

There is a good chance that this is happening at least with the pump, not saying there might not be radiator or air flow issues.

Even though the Stage 3 pump is designed for high rpm, at city driving rpms and when you are checking it at idle etc, it shows good flow. It doesn't matter much because you are not producing a lot of heat.
At highway speeds with increased rpm , the impeller being designed for much higher rpm and a more flow friendly system is really cavitating and thus reducing your flow and cooling. It's a great pump, but not for your purpose. I normally use Stage 2 pumps and they almost work too well.
I forgot to add that I have changed my pulleys to over drive my pump because of lack of water flow at lower rpm
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DRIVESHAFT
How old is your existing radiator?
Is there any chance that it could be full of scale in the tubes that is hurting heat transfer?
If the radiator is clean, it seem like it has to be an airflow issue.
The radiator is around 1 year old I think. I'll look and see if I kept the reciept. Its clean looking in form the filler neck on the low pressure side of the radiator. The air flow issue is something I have worked on for a while, I can't think of anything other than removing the belt drive system I installed and go back to a motor driven fan outside what I have already tried. I have not had the factory system installed on the 496 since I put it in the car.

Neal
Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkull
The filler neck on the thermostat is one of the best things you can do. I also have the Stew stage III and a Weiand Team G on my other motor.

If the radiator does not have enough volume in the cross flow tubes I could see pressure building on top.

My question is: Are you running any kind of restrictor in the filler neck?

I have used the 7/8th inch washer and the 190 degree high flow thermistats with a couple holes drilled in them to great success.

I have trouble getting heat in my motor even on 90 degree days. Because i also have the manifold rear cooling lines coming in after my thermostat. I takes a long time of drive to even get 190. But under racing conditions for a 20-30 minute sprint road race I often see 220 and during the cool down it's right back to sub 190.

I am not running any restrictor, I have a Stewart 180* high flow stat in it right now.

Neal
Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I bought a Billet Specialties thermostat housing for the ZZ4 in my 68. I think it's the same housing that would be sold for BB application. I was surprised as to how restricted it was on the inside. The inlet from the radiator was 45 degrees to the thermostate housing body. It was extremely restricted. I used a grinder to greatly enlarge the orfice between the inlet tube and the housing...probably doubled the opening.

I don't know what kind of a thermstat housing you're using. I just thought I'd mention this. I remember thinking that a lot of people could put all new stuff on their engine (radiator, hoses, pump) then have a heating problem and would perhaps never guess it was a restricted thermo housing.

Also, I ordered a Edelbrock aluminum water pump from a parts house. It came packed in plastic peanuts. Pastic peanuts worked their way into the water pump cavity. I thought I removed them all. Then I started to think, what if I didn't and one got into the cylinder head and blocked an internal passage way? I disassembled the water pump and sure enough there was a least one in there.

So for me, I encounted two obscure conditions that could have caused a heating problem if not discovered.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 06-10-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noonie

noonie when I ordered the pump Stewart didn't say anything about rpm requirements.
I can run without the pusher fans and give that a try again. The oil cooler is easy to pull forward and away form the radiator so that isn't an issue either.

I am running the bypass hose, when I tried to run without it the temps would swing all over the place. One minute it would be 200* the next minute it would be 230*.

The core size is 26.5" X 17.5" X 2.25"

I can try and get the core temps in different areas and see what I come up with.

I contacted Jack (Stewart) by e-mail a few weeks ago to ask him about a T-stat issue. He indicated to remove it and see what the temps would do. I have not removed the T-stat to see the effects. I had done this in the past and it didn't change anything but I am willing to try anything that may help.

I have the high flow pump form Zoops that came with my serp system that I can try. I took it off to install the Stewart pump because I was having issues back then.

I'll try Stewart again and talk to them about cavitaion and pump rpms on the stage III.

Neal
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I bought a Billet Specialties thermostat housing for the ZZ4 in my 68. I think it's the same housing that would be sold for BB application. I was surprised as to how restricted it was on the inside. The inlet from the radiator was 45 degrees to the thermostate housing body. It was extremely restricted. I used a grinder to greatly enlarge the orfice between the inlet tube and the housing...probably doubled the opening.

I don't know what kind of a thermstat housing you're using. I just thought I'd mention this. I remember thinking that a lot of people could put all new stuff on their engine (radiator, hoses, pump) then have a heating problem and would perhaps never guess it was a restricted thermo housing.

Also, I ordered a Edelbrock aluminum water pump from a parts house. It came packed in plastic peanuts. Pastic peanuts worked their way into the water pump cavity. I thought I removed them all. Then I started to think, what if I didn't and one got into the cylinder head and blocked an internal passage way? I disassembled the water pump and sure enough there was a least one in there.

So for me, I encounted two obscure conditions that could have caused a heating problem if not discovered.
I think the one I have is a Moroso filler neck.

The pump came in a box wrapped in plastic if I remember right, don't remember any loose packing in the box. I still have the box that I can check.

Thanks for the ideas

Neal
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

After looking up the part number on the Stewart site the pump I have is a stage IV. In the desctiption it is recomended for any application.

Neal
Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It is quite possible that the Stewart pump is just pushing the water through the radiator too fast so that there isn't sufficient time for heat dissapation to occur. By restricting the waterflow a bit you may be able to get the temps under some type of control without spending more money.
The puller fan configuration is almost always more efficient and better than pusher fan setups. Also the pusher will get in the way of airflow at highways speeds whereas the puller is behind the airflow. You create a rather large dead spot around the fan motor areas.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
L79racer
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goody
It is quite possible that the Stewart pump is just pushing the water through the radiator too fast so that there isn't sufficient time for heat dissapation to occur. By restricting the waterflow a bit you may be able to get the temps under some type of control without spending more money.
The puller fan configuration is almost always more efficient and better than pusher fan setups. Also the pusher will get in the way of airflow at highways speeds whereas the puller is behind the airflow. You create a rather large dead spot around the fan motor areas.
Thatsa whata I saida. LOL!!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Goody
New radiator should be here shortly, I'll install it with just the fans it comes with and give it a try.

I think for now I may try some restrictor plates in place of the T-stat to see if water flow can be tuned to some point that may help cooling.

Neal
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Many of the race pumps are designed to be underdriven and run at 8000 rpm engine speeds. I just have a basic Team G aluminum one on mine.

JIM
Old 06-11-2009, 08:49 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
After looking up the part number on the Stewart site the pump I have is a stage IV. In the desctiption it is recomended for any application.

Neal
If You have the stage IV It won't work on the street. It doesn't really flow any water below 4000 rpm It is intended to run from 4500 - 8000 rpm

I also have the BeCool radiator listed for use to 1000 hp and I use twin Spal fans. They are very high CFM fans. Pullers and unless I'm racing I don't even turn on the second one.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling my solid roller 496

Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gkull
If You have the stage IV It won't work on the street. It doesn't really flow any water below 4000 rpm It is intended to run from 4500 - 8000 rpm

I also have the BeCool radiator listed for use to 1000 hp and I use twin Spal fans. They are very high CFM fans. Pullers and unless I'm racing I don't even turn on the second one.
Were did you get the numbers for the stage IV pump? I looked at their web site and the stage III is for racing applications and the stage IV is for any application. I'll give them a call and talk with them on this issue.
prior to the stage IV I ran a Zoops high flow that came with the serp set-up, when I changed to the stage IV it helped a little.

Neal
Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Got the Dewitt’s radiator today, I was in industrial fabrication for quite a few years handled allot of aluminum and stainless and I have to say the quality of the radiator is very good. Everything arrived as stated and was packaged very well.

I have one question though the radiator inlet is reduced down, the inlet fitting looks that it can be cut to allow for a larger inlet. Tom if you are still checking in on this thread do you have any guidance on this. I would like to get the full flow if possible.

Neal
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by L79racer
Change the water pump. You say that when you rev it up it puts out too much pressure. Well if its putting out that much pressure its probably flowing the water too fast threw the radiator at higher rpms and not letting the water cool.

Quick Reply: Cooling my solid roller 496