C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 corvette anti-theft problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:38 PM
dfmartens
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 corvette anti-theft problem

I finally decided to try and get my factory installed anti-theft alarm to work. Have two questions first one is when you have alarm set and open door or hood the alarm blasts on and off, but if you just close door or hood the alarm stops is this the way it's suppose to work? After reading several other post it was my understanding that once the alarm goes off the only way to stop it was with key or until battery went dead. Does any body have a 70 with alarm and how does it work? 2nd question is the passenger side door alarm works and so does the hood alarm, but driver side doesn't. You would think it was the door ajar switch, but the door ajar light works the way it is suppose to. From reading other post some people say they have three wires going to door ajar/alarm switch but mine only has the light blue and black wire same as on passenger door that alarm works on. I can't figure out why driver side door alarm won't trigger the alarm when it lights up the door ajar light. Anybody have any idea's. thank in advance.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:51 PM
70Donnybrooke
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfmartens
I finally decided to try and get my factory installed anti-theft alarm to work. Have two questions first one is when you have alarm set and open door or hood the alarm blasts on and off, but if you just close door or hood the alarm stops is this the way it's suppose to work? After reading several other post it was my understanding that once the alarm goes off the only way to stop it was with key or until battery went dead. Does any body have a 70 with alarm and how does it work? 2nd question is the passenger side door alarm works and so does the hood alarm, but driver side doesn't. You would think it was the door ajar switch, but the door ajar light works the way it is suppose to. From reading other post some people say they have three wires going to door ajar/alarm switch but mine only has the light blue and black wire same as on passenger door that alarm works on. I can't figure out why driver side door alarm won't trigger the alarm when it lights up the door ajar light. Anybody have any idea's. thank in advance.
I can not remember, but I do not think it should shut off when you close the door. As for the door ajar switch I am almost positive that light is a seperate switch. If you look you will have a pin switch in the front of the door where the hinges are and one at the rear of the door. The rear ones are the alarm pin switches. You can access the rear of the switches by removing a rear tire and going into the access panel in the wheel well.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:58 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

As said above the alarm should not shut off when you close the door.
On the switch that sets off the alarm in your case its not the door ajar at the rear end of the door its the switch closest to the door hinge.
Your door ajar switch is just a door ajar switch not alarm switch.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:15 PM
70Donnybrooke
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWncchs
As said above the alarm should not shut off when you close the door.
On the switch that sets off the alarm in your case its not the door ajar at the rear end of the door its the switch closest to the door hinge.
Your door ajar switch is just a door ajar switch not alarm switch.
I was close, I just had them mixed up.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:04 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by 70Donnybrooke
I was close, I just had them mixed up.
Actually you were very close and would have been correct in a later year. It was somewhere around 71 or 72 that GM used the rear door ajar to trigger the alarm. Its hard to keep up with.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:53 AM
dfmartens
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, you guys were right, it was the courtsey light switch on driver side that was working the courtsey light but not the alarm system not the door ajar switch. Replaced switch and all alarms work know, but still have the problem with siren stops sounding when you just close the door or hood. Do you think it might be the relay in the jack compartment that's not keeping the siren sounding?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by dfmartens
Do you think it might be the relay in the jack compartment that's not keeping the siren sounding?
Could be but you said siren,the original was a horn. The horn had switched 12v and was cycled on and off using the ground side of the horn SO someone might have changed the wiring.Here is a pic showing how to use a standard horn relay in place of the very expensive discontinued alarm relay. See if your wire colors match this pic at the relay. This relay is a horn relay from a 75-86 Corvette costs about $5.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 09-28-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 70 corvette anti-theft problem

Quick Reply: 70 corvette anti-theft problem