C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach Drive Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 PM
wytevette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I think it's clockwise; but to be honest, I can't remember for sure. But running the drill at low speed the wrong way should not do any damage...that would just simulate backing-up (which should free-spin, rather than moving backwards).
I don't think our motor runs in reverse when we back up. Mine doesn't anyway. Some Ski Doo snowmobiles do though.

I tried one of those electronic gizmos (don't remember who made it) in the distributor that you replace the points with an HEI module. The car would run, but it was very hard to start, almost as if the starter motor was taking away too much juice from the ignition for it to work properly.

It was disappointing because I used one of those same modules to replace the points in my old "Farmall A" tractor and it worked so great I thought it would work well in the 'vette. I should have spent the 100 or so dollars toward a HEI tach drive distributor.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by oldboat
i put a hei tach drive distributor on my '69 about fourteen years ago. every ignition problem i ever had immediately went away. it is one of the best things i have ever done for my car.
Does it fit under the chrome ignition shielding?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 AM
GM73VETTE
Advanced

Default elec distributer

I have been looking at the elec dist with cable tach drive and found this info just what I was looking for. However, when I click to e-bay, the vendor site or ? has been dropped.
Does anyone have an update on the source and brand?
From the previous notes, the distributor is of excellant quality and the price is right.
Thanks for the help,
gm
Old 11-20-2009, 07:30 AM
FB007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wytevette
I don't think our motor runs in reverse when we back up. Mine doesn't anyway.
I'm glad someone else picked up on that.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 AM
fgp73
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GM73VETTE
I have been looking at the elec dist with cable tach drive and found this info just what I was looking for. However, when I click to e-bay, the vendor site or ? has been dropped.
Does anyone have an update on the source and brand?
From the previous notes, the distributor is of excellant quality and the price is right.
Thanks for the help,
gm
I'm pretty sure this is the one that I used http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...item518bab64ab
Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

i have the dragonfire HEI tach drive on my 454. when i went to a retro roller cam i called the allignition company and they gave me the part #s of the cam gears that would be compatible. i went with the comp cams polymer. it fit with no problems.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Does it fit under the chrome ignition shielding?

Thanks
HEI is much larger dia than points cap. HEI really don't fit points chrome box-lid... but you can beat on it & force it ... results can vary.

Instead, look at chrome top shield-lid & brackets for 75 thru 77 (they have OE HEI) ... many of the vette vendors offer them.

Your radio/stereo does not require ignition shielding if you run spiral core plug wires; though aesthetics may demand it.

Last edited by jackson; 11-21-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 AM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Tach drive

I used a HEI with mechanical tach drive from Star Performance . They are a catalog house like Jegs , Summit . Reasonable price , 120 or so , new in box . www.starperf.com . Been working great for 2-3 years now .
Old 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM
ralc
Heel & Toe

Default tach drive distributor

nelson specialties 7046626600 has numerous OEM units in stock. Many of the aftermarket HEI units (Chinese) have an undersized housing causing low oil pressure
Originally Posted by fgp73
I have a '73 Vette that had its distributor replaced with a non tach drive distributor. I sure would like to have it replaced with one that will drive the tachometer. Is there a consensus on what type would be best?

Any info would be helpful
Old 01-12-2016, 03:31 PM
ralc
Heel & Toe

Default Bronze gear

Bronze gears are made for most OEM and aftermarket distributors although many aftermarket units have a different shaft diameter
Originally Posted by UBETRUN
Can the ebay tach drive distributor be changed to a bronze gear for a mechanical roller cam? I know I can order the bronze gear for other distributors, just don't know if they are all the same.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:16 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ralc
Bronze gears are made for most OEM and aftermarket distributors although many aftermarket units have a different shaft diameter

are you aware you are posting to a six year old thread?

Quick Reply: Tach Drive Distributor