C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the best tire for stock 15" rims: Avon cr6zz

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 PM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the best tire for stock 15" rims: Avon cr6zz

the name is Avon Cr6zz

I received 4 245/60/15 just 3 days ago and put about 40 miles on them in 2 rides.

so...these are racing tyres but they are DOT and suitable for everyday use. I think I'm the first Vette user of this tire, at least on the forums ... but many Cobras and Gt40s owners use this tire as standard for road ( and mild track use)

My main concern was : is it really intended for street? YES

this tire is rated ( from 0 to 10 ) as 8 dry , 8 wet ( still havent used in the rain , but this tyre is a track tyre for rain )

in my drive test I found:
- the tire sticks also when cold . so it's safe . but allow it to warm a bit ( a couple of miles and some braking) and it will really sticks.

-with the average road use it doesn't collect road debris ( a usual problem with soft race tires

-it doesn't wear so fast as you may think. it's life seems to be anyway about 10.000 miles with road use and spirited driving

-the ride is safer and more comfortable than BFG ( Avons at 30psi)

- these tires are good up to 150mph or so...

I could tell more about after a longer use , but I put really few miles on my car...

the only defect? price. check at Roger Kraus racing or Sasco sport and you'll see.

but I think safety is a no price thing.I feel much safer with this tire ( with BFG, Goodyear GT not...)

I think these Avons the best $$$ I've spent on my Vette till now...

Last edited by elle88; 07-12-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:50 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

i'm having a really hard time with tire choice for the wheels i want on my '64 restomod.. you have any pics of these tires? i checked the rk site awhile ago, but they only show tread, i want to see sidewall from whole car side view and also up close..

i'm looking for 235/60/15 and 275/50/15 sizes to go on teamIII wheels (cobra replicas use this wheel also)..
Old 07-13-2009, 04:05 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikey
i'm having a really hard time with tire choice for the wheels i want on my '64 restomod.. you have any pics of these tires? i checked the rk site awhile ago, but they only show tread, i want to see sidewall from whole car side view and also up close..

i'm looking for 235/60/15 and 275/50/15 sizes to go on teamIII wheels (cobra replicas use this wheel also)..
recently I have difficulties in posting pics...but send me your email via PM and I'll forward you some pics

BTW humble black sidewall...you can stencil the Avon logo by yourself, if you like.

the Avon , in respect to my same size BFG , look less "bubble" and more straight
Old 07-13-2009, 09:13 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

Thanks for the review of these tires. I have read up on them on the Cobra forums, and am contemplating running them on my car. Sounds like they are a good tire.

Bill
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Thanks for the review of these tires. I have read up on them on the Cobra forums, and am contemplating running them on my car. Sounds like they are a good tire.

Bill
they are not just good, they are SUPER ! If you check the Cobra and GT40 forums , you'll hear good words only and not just a bad one. I confirm , even if I haven't been at the track but just on the roads. search google typing CR6ZZ...

and I'm running just the 245/60/15 ...if you can fit a wider tire at the rear...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:07 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

elle88,
my email is in my sig, please send pics!

thanks,
Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I never got back to you on what the simular weight racing cars run for tire pressure with Avon treaded racing tires. 28 rear and 26 front cold. when they come up to heat at sea level they gain about 4 psi at 175 F degrees. That is on the 60's 327 chevy v-8 powered Bizarini's.

Most of our 15 inch wheel racers now use the treaded Goodyear tires because they are cheaper and ............better than avon. Full slicks are still avon for the historic race cars that were from the change over to slicks which happened in the 1970 time frame

We got told to change to treaded at a race this year on a 1966 lola
Old 07-14-2009, 01:30 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

mikey,
for problems of my computer in displaying the forum, I can't see your signature...please PM

Gkull .
I know the goodyear are better than Avon but they are not DOT , right? the Avon are more "general purpose" : rain too. as I explained recently , I needed a performance tire for the street : so soft compound but good on dry and wet ( if you get into rain by chance ). for this reason I discarded the DOT Hoosier ( far cheaper than Avon) but not suited for wet.
Also the Avon seems to don't need to get really hot to stick, I suppose that Goodyear and Hoosier need to be really warmed up.

thanks for the pressure values. I'm using 30psi because in my usual rides the tires don't become really hot. after a 20 mile ride with about 32-33 C deg outside , I measured the rear tires temp and it was about 38 C. but I will do some tests at 28-29 psi
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Default avon cr6zz pics

See pics below from elle88!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Good to see some new info on 15" rubber.

elle88, perhaps you've answered to this before, but couldn't you run an inch or so lower? And, do you have Avon's temp range recommendations?

gkull, which treaded Goodyear?

TSW
Old 07-18-2009, 02:33 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

TSW
very little info from Avon about tires temperature range or pressure. if I remember, max pressure is just 35psi.
the only infos I got about are on the Cobra forum where a guy reported his track use of these tires.
btw , for road use , it seems to be not critical...

my car sits high due to clearance of headers to ground . actually it seems higher too due to rubber ( not solid) body mounts. I expect to go 1/2 lower. not more or my headers will hit the ground on the south Italy town roads
Old 07-18-2009, 11:33 AM
QuicheLorraine
Racer

Originally Posted by elle88
they are not just good, they are SUPER ! If you check the Cobra and GT40 forums , you'll hear good words only and not just a bad one. I confirm , even if I haven't been at the track but just on the roads. search google typing CR6ZZ...

and I'm running just the 245/60/15 ...if you can fit a wider tire at the rear...
Hmm Avon tires? Let us know when you have 25K miles on them if you think they were still a good deal.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by QuicheLorraine
Hmm Avon tires? Let us know when you have 25K miles on them if you think they were still a good deal.
Some people run Cooper Cobra $79 specials, some appreciate the top end potential of a C3 Vette and chose to install tires that allow the car to be driven in excess of 118MPH (where most 15 inch replacement tires are rated.) I went to a 16" wheel to allow me to purchase high speed tires for my C3, this poster lives in Italy where you can still drive a car on the unrestricted Autostrada and potentially KILL yourself with improper tires. Zora Duntov specified high speed rated tires for the C3 Vette even after the Goodyear Polyglass F-60 tires were speced on the Z/28 Camaro giving it a handling advantage over the Corvette. Duntov stood his ground and kept high speed tires on the Vette, knowing that some people would use their Corvettes as he intended them to be used. For many owners the styling is what attracts them to Corvettes, for others it is the performance, I am a "gear head" I have "W" rated tires on my C3 Vettes, and am glad for the feedback on these tires from a person who drives FAST like I do. Aldo my only question to you, is why you went to California for a tire you can buy in England? isn't there a tunnel to get you across that water?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:34 PM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Quichelorraine .
hard to get 25k miles on a car like mine that drinks 6-7-8 mpg, depending on driving habit! my rides are short but fast and funny. the Avon tires , in my hand , will last lifetime...
Avons owners say to expect at least 10K miles, possibly 15K with only "quiet" road use

Solid Lt1 ,
I agree with you.

actually I can't go so fast with my 4.11 rear end , high suspensions , C3 aerodynamics. But surely I can reach the speed limit of a BFG. and a higher speed rated tire is safer and better even if you use it far below its limits.
Italian roads have low speed limits. autobahn is just 130kmh . but in some areas , not so many radars or policemans... quick rides at 170-180mph are possible

even if I have to thank Roger Kraus for his kindness in supplying me infos and pics , I bought the tyres in Europe. Find the best price at the North Ireland Avon supplier. If any European on the forum want Avons , go to www.racingtyres.net .
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM
silver79
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve been reading a bit about autox they say that 70% is driver ability, 20%tires and 10% set up..... So I will focus of ability for now. I have Firestone Indy 500 what pressure would you suggest for a beginner, is it possible that at 34lbs R and 32lbs F that my car becomes darty unstable and at 28 it tracks better?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

FWIW, I've found you don't necessarily have to have temp range info from the manufacturer or be hardcore to still reap benefits from using a pyrometer. I'm certain it'll save you a good bit of time spent guessing, not to mention rubber. For years, I haven't gotten a new vehicle (including DD, pickup, motorcoach...) or different tires without playing around with mine to find the true best pressures.

:cheers
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM
silver79
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW, I've found you don't necessarily have to have temp range info from the manufacturer or be hardcore to still reap benefits from using a pyrometer. I'm certain it'll save you a good bit of time spent guessing, not to mention rubber. For years, I haven't gotten a new vehicle (including DD, pickup, motorcoach...) or different tires without playing around with mine to find the true best pressures.

:cheers
What do you guys think about Mickey Thomson ET Street Radials for auto cross?

Get notified of new replies

To the best tire for stock 15" rims: Avon cr6zz

Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

I've never seen any review or feedback on the MT's handling or grip characteristics, other than manufacturer's blurbs.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
elle88
Burning Brakes

2+ years from the day i started this thread and it seems that i'm still the only one in the forum to use them.
too expensive probably...
strange ...the Cobra and gt40s guys seems to use them extensively, read here

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/era-...t-radials.html

Last edited by elle88; 03-29-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Elle88, I really like those wheels! What kind are they?

Quick Reply: the best tire for stock 15" rims: Avon cr6zz