C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What programmable fan controllers are you using and what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Jc3vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What programmable fan controllers are you using and what do you recommend?

What programmable fan controllers are you using and what do you recommend?
I have read posts where members are complaining about the Spal controllers and others like the Delta controllers.
I am running duel 11” Spal fans and I am thinking about installing a programmable controller.
I would like to maintain the engine temperature at a more stable temperature like the old clutch fan did. Which I am thinking I might go back to and give up on the electric fans.
I like the electric fans, they make the front of the motor look real clean they save HP, but they are either all on or all off. And when they do come on it takes awhile for them to go off.
If I use the ground bypass switch for short durations while driving at slower speeds I can keep them and the engine below the temperature which starts the fan cycle.
I know I am a lot cheaper than a controller but I would like to keep my attention on driving at not playing fan controller.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Here is some info that may be of some help. ===> Click here

George

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I don't understand your concern....anything from 180f up to ~210 is fine....not to worry....mostly my car runs at 180 on the freeway, and then gets to 195 for the fans to come on....

so says the computer, but the head gauge is up about ten degrees from it....

who do you believe???

I believe the head gauge, as that's what the pyrometer sez, and the theromcouple too.....
Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

I run a PWM, and love it. sensor is located in the head, I have it programmed to turn on my large fan at 180, and the small on at 200...
And when it turns on the large fan it does it gradually, that is to say slow at first then speeds up to full in about 60sec... so I do not have any spikes on my charging system.... I think the complete kit is about 275... But it is way cool, and now I would have nothing else... here is a link, take a look and make up your own mind..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...nd-shroud.html
Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jc3 i feel you pain.i wouldnt trust any. i have used nearly all of them and dont particularly like auto controllers. some are unreliable and skip a cycle while other turn on and then turn off when they shouldnt yada yada yada...i now just use a bulletproof manual switch on my dash . if i get above 195 i flick on the switch and soon enough im back to 180 and i turn it off. my rad and fan is pretty efficient so i dont need to turn on the fan all that much.

Get notified of new replies

To What programmable fan controllers are you using and what do you recommend?

Quick Reply: What programmable fan controllers are you using and what do you recommend?