C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust clean up

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 10:48 AM
catfishjack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rust clean up

I just bought an 82 that has been sitting more or less in an unheated garage for approx 10 yeras. The tires had to be replaced..dry rot. The frame is awesome! But..I have a lot of rust since everything just oxidized..any one know of a quick way to clean a lot of this up??
Any help appreciated.
Old 02-17-2002, 04:04 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: rust clean up (catfishjack)

When I rebuilt my entire rear suspension I used a product from Eastwood called OxySolve on the gas tank. I comes in a spray bottle or cans for brush on. You have to let it set a while then clean the part off, I used mineral spirits for cleaning. Either that or sand paper and elbow grease. :D
Old 02-17-2002, 08:38 PM
BADCAIMAN
Instructor

I went or hould I say am going through the same thing..The car I purchased sat for 7 yrs in a unheated dirt floor garage...After some thought..(Sand blasting and such)A buddy of mine gave me An idea..I crawled under the car with a small hammer and tapped around..The vibration loosened most of the scale..I then broke out the Air hose and some scotch brite and wire brush....A slow process but effective..Good luck
Old 02-17-2002, 09:38 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the car up on blocks and power washed the daylights out of it. I then let it sit outside for a week to dry (during the sumer heat). I then used 3m cleaner and a wire brush and did the entire frame. This was followed up by spraying it with rustoleum, as well as a brush in some tight spots. Others also recommend other products such as POR-15.

It was a pain and took a few days but it was worth it. I was hurting so bad at one point the wife had to help me roll over to get up (probably not the best thing to do after back surgery and having a disc removed a couple of years prior). :D

Get notified of new replies

To rust clean up

Quick Reply: rust clean up