C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's Pace Car Spoiler w/splitter added

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 PM
78aldo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking out this place a while back. Was going to use their product for my gauge panel and console top,maybe next year.Anyway, it would make an awesome looking splitter,although kind of pricey.Brent's idea for Delrin is a good idea also,not sure what that would cost.BTW , great looking car. Rick
Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
Hey, I found this old Saleen S7 picture. I guess my splitter isn't so tacky afterall. It sure works great. Not one new blemish on my painted spoiler since install. Still trying to find a suitable material to replace the 1/4" plywood.
My oil cooler is mounted flat in the middle panel behind my bumper. The spoiler forces air up thru it. Works great. My tranny cooler is my AC condenser in it's stock location. Works great too.

Bee Jay
A great material to use would be the hard plastic sheating used for making shower walls. It is thin and tough, and inexpensive. And all big hamoe stores carry it. That is a great idea!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I meant HOME stores....fat fingers! LOL
Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
78aldo
Instructor

Sorry, the link didn't post. Protech Composites.They sell real carbon fiber sheets.Rick
Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Spoiler/Splitter III

While at SEMA this past November, I noticed that all high performance C6s have a rubber lip under the body spoiler. I've been thinking about that, and I decided to modify my splitter with a rubber lip also. First I took an aluminum angle piece and some stiff rubber I got from the Home Depot flooring section. It's the rubber moulding that you line the bottom of walls with. I attached the rubber moulding to the angle iron like so:

Then I attached the two piece spoiler to the bottom of my splitter:

With the car down on the ground, the rubber part is 2" above the ground, and the aluminum piece is 4" above the ground. The rear of the splitter is a little flexible just in case an armadillo or skunk needs to get by. I put it at the back of the splitter so that it would create a low pressure area right below the radiator and fans, so that maybe some of the air that passes thru the radiator will be pulled down under the car. Being 2" off of the ground, I hope it improves the coefficient of drag a little, and maybe increase my top speed a few miles per hour. What do you guys think?

Bee Jay
Old 01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Looks good. molded plastic would be a good material, but you would want it molded in black, so any scratches would not take off the paint. I like the rubber lip you added.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.dragonplate.com/
Old 01-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

BeeJay,

I've always been impressed with your courage to try new ideas on your car. I respect that.
I have a question. Have you considered doing a manometer pressure measurement of the area before the new vertical air dam? I'm concerned that there will be a (relatively) high pressure area ahead of the air dam, and this pressure is below a "large" horizontal surface. It just looks to me like there's going to be a lift component, unless the air pressure in the pre-radiator plenum is equal or more than the air pressure under the splitter (assuming roughly equal horizontal surface area). Just curious which force vector (up or down) would be greater.

Keep up the good work, though! I enjoy watching someone think outside the box.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Rmorgan&11
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just gonna look for some aluminium plate

DragonPlate $$$$
Old 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Like your willingness to try stuff (that's how we learn), and it looks good, but agree with 69427 that there might be an increase in pressure ahead of it. If you ever bring it to Memphis we'll have to get some hard pressure differential readings on it, with and without...

TSW
Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmorgan&11
I'm just gonna look for some aluminium plate

DragonPlate $$$$
The DragonPlate is expensive, but real nice material. The veneer isn't too bad and would make a great finish to whatever material you use (wood, plastic, etc.). If you use aluminum and you hit something large enough to tear it off, it could do some serious damage to the underside. I suggest using something that will give.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Bee Jay,
Hows the spoiler working out for you, have you made any changes to it?
I am installing an Indy spoiler on mine and thought I might add this to it as
well for the same reason as you did. How has the rubber skirt worked out
for you, I was wondering if this skirt has created any lift to the front of the
car at high speeds, or if it has created the low pressure that you were looking
for to pull the hot air down out of the engine bay.

Has this setup saved the front spoiler from being heavily damaged, and did
you stay with the plywood design.

Sorry for all the questions,

Riggs.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

It works great the plywood takes all kinds of abuse protecting the painted spoiler. I have every intention to replace it with Delrin but I've been a little busy. I'm in Texas this weekend and when I get home I need to finish my interior. Always glad to answer questions and help out. Take pictures and add to this thread.
Bee Jay
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

I just completed the third iteration of this spoiler/splitter. This time I went with a thinner higher quality plywood called Luan. It's light and pre-sanded. I didn't like the obvious plywood look of the previous splitter, so I applied three layers of fiberglass cloth and three layers of resin to the front of the splitter, overlapping over the front. After sanding very smooth, I applied four coats of sandable lacquer filler. After much more sanding, I spray painted with gloss black Krylon. It's not so obviosly plywood now. And with the fiberglass and resin, it may be a little more durable.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 01-05-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

toss some chip guard spray on it or use the truck bed liner spray....or even rustoleum.... the krylon might be a little to brittle/thin for road debri..
Old 01-05-2011, 07:49 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another product which I use alot is called Starboard, This is a solid black platic material, commonly used in Marine applications. Easy to use, cuts like wood, routers like wood, UV stable also. You can buy in 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick. I really like the addition. I might do this to my 81. I also like the adjustment bars, I would make the bars adjustable from the outside utilizing SST brackets. The nice thing about the Starboard would be, if the unite was scraped, the color is solid, no need to repaint. Al
Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i am going to make mine out of plywood and have it rhino lined

Get notified of new replies

To Bee Jay's Pace Car Spoiler w/splitter added

Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
team_tribble
Intermediate

Bee Jay, I know this is off topic a bit but what brand of tire are you running. I really like the looks of your tires. Are you happy with there performance?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
TPIShark
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good thread. Bee Jay, really like your car.

I was running the ACI fiberglass version of the PC spoiler. A must for controlling water temp. I destroyed mine at the dragstrip about a year ago - in doing similar mods, it definitely added some downforce at high speed. I lifted after the traps, the nose dove down, and the spoiler caught a seam in the track, and promptly exploded. I recall watching the pieces in the rearview mirror. I think I fixed this with adjustable shocks. I have yet to install the replacement, but will probably create some type of skid blocks atteched to the frame, to protect it from bottoming out...
Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
While at SEMA this past November, I noticed that all high performance C6s have a rubber lip under the body spoiler. I've been thinking about that, and I decided to modify my splitter with a rubber lip also. First I took an aluminum angle piece and some stiff rubber I got from the Home Depot flooring section. It's the rubber moulding that you line the bottom of walls with. I attached the rubber moulding to the angle iron like so:

Then I attached the two piece spoiler to the bottom of my splitter:

With the car down on the ground, the rubber part is 2" above the ground, and the aluminum piece is 4" above the ground. The rear of the splitter is a little flexible just in case an armadillo or skunk needs to get by. I put it at the back of the splitter so that it would create a low pressure area right below the radiator and fans, so that maybe some of the air that passes thru the radiator will be pulled down under the car. Being 2" off of the ground, I hope it improves the coefficient of drag a little, and maybe increase my top speed a few miles per hour. What do you guys think?

Bee Jay
bump...your mailbox is full.. how far out does this go past the spoiler?

Quick Reply: Bee Jay's Pace Car Spoiler w/splitter added