C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Just Won't Come Off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:53 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Front Bumper Just Won't Come Off!!!!

My new 71 project car has a stubborn front bumper. I have removed the two inner bolts, the two bolts located mid way between the center and the ends, and now attempting to remove the two end bolts but they just spin. I believe there is a nut held in place by a bracket on the inside of the bumper (AIM) and there appears to be no where to get anything in there to hold them in place so I cannot get those bolts out. Please, if you know I am missing something tell me before I dig out the cutter and start whacking away at this darn thing.
Thank you and best regards,
David
Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Yep, you are correct. There is a cage nut mounted within the bumper which has probably rounded off. I had the same problem on my 1970. I ended up cutting the head of the bolt off to remove the bumper.

Its a suckey job from what I can recall. if you do this, you are going to re-attach the center bolts to hold it in place.

After I got it off, I cut the old cage bolt out and installed a new one.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:14 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by gearheaddroppings
Yep, you are correct. There is a cage nut mounted within the bumper which has probably rounded off. I had the same problem on my 1970. I ended up cutting the head of the bolt off to remove the bumper.

Its a suckey job from what I can recall. if you do this, you are going to re-attach the center bolts to hold it in place.

After I got it off, I cut the old cage bolt out and installed a new one.
Cutting them out is what I thought I would have to do tomorrow. Your suggestion about re-attaching the center bolts is a good safety tip, thank you. I will get out Mr. Dremel tomorrow and see if I can get him up in there...tight spot.

I appreciate the tip.

David
Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
Cutting them out is what I thought I would have to do tomorrow. Your suggestion about re-attaching the center bolts is a good safety tip, thank you. I will get out Mr. Dremel tomorrow and see if I can get him up in there...tight spot.

I appreciate the tip.

David
David:

You might want to introduce Mr. Die Grinder to the bolt over the Dremel. You purchase bits for it with extended shafts and rounded ends. A Dremel will do it, but you'll take all day and use a dozen or so bits.

Ernie

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 09-19-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Thank you, you may well be correct.
Stay tuned
David
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I'm watching.... Good luck, that bolt can be a real pain.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Any progress yet???
Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Any progress yet???
He's probably not out of bed yet.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default The Bumpers They Be Off!!!!

I introduced Mr. Bumper Bolts to Mr. Dremel. After four changes of cutting wheels I got them off. I did buy a nice Dewalt Grinder but it was just too big to get up in there, so I had to fall back on the Dremel. Bottom line, after about an hour the front bumper is off.
Name:  Front Bumpers Off.JPG
Views: 612
Size:  612.2 KB
Name:  Front Bumpers Off (2).JPG
Views: 572
Size:  565.4 KB

But wait, there's more to the story. I also managed to take off the two front headlight bezels and guess what? Yep, another mystery presented itself. If you look at the pictures closely, especially the drivers side, inside, you notice there is a fiberglass patch in there that is broken loose. But that's not all. The passenger headlight bezel is metal. The driver headlight bezel is plastic. So how does that happen? Gee, I wonder. And also, there are no signs of a headlight washer systme in this car...was that an option or supposed to be there? The metal bezel is spot on for the correct color of the Brandshatch Green color though, so we at least know it was there longer than the driver bezel. If you look at the second picture, focus in on the passenger bezel area and behind it you will see the springs from the headlight assembly. They flex, but not much. Rusty.

The front bumper looks pretty good and I think it can be cleaned up nicely. The lower guard assemblies are very rusty though and they were filled with critter nesting materials and nuts. Must of been cozy up in there.

For the record, and to date, that makes nine critter nests I have destroyed in the beginning phases of my restoration project. I hope they can forgive me.

I was up and at it early today, then had a day filled with fun with my wife. Good day even though the accomplishments were minor.

David
Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
I introduced Mr. Bumper Bolts to Mr. Dremel. After four changes of cutting wheels I got them off. I did buy a nice Dewalt Grinder but it was just too big to get up in there, so I had to fall back on the Dremel. Bottom line, after about an hour the front bumper is off.
Attachment 47643069
Attachment 47643070

But wait, there's more to the story. I also managed to take off the two front headlight bezels and guess what? Yep, another mystery presented itself. If you look at the pictures closely, especially the drivers side, inside, you notice there is a fiberglass patch in there that is broken loose. But that's not all. The passenger headlight bezel is metal. The driver headlight bezel is plastic. So how does that happen? Gee, I wonder. And also, there are no signs of a headlight washer systme in this car...was that an option or supposed to be there? The metal bezel is spot on for the correct color of the Brandshatch Green color though, so we at least know it was there longer than the driver bezel. If you look at the second picture, focus in on the passenger bezel area and behind it you will see the springs from the headlight assembly. They flex, but not much. Rusty.

The front bumper looks pretty good and I think it can be cleaned up nicely. The lower guard assemblies are very rusty though and they were filled with critter nesting materials and nuts. Must of been cozy up in there.

For the record, and to date, that makes nine critter nests I have destroyed in the beginning phases of my restoration project. I hope they can forgive me.

I was up and at it early today, then had a day filled with fun with my wife. Good day even though the accomplishments were minor.

David
David-

The metal bezel is original, the fiberglass one is the GM service replacement bezel. Someone replaced the bezel.

Food on the table so I gotta run. I'll look at the pics and read the rest in a minute!

Ernie
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 AM
70Donnybrooke
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If yours was an early 71 it might have the headlight washers. My buddys 71 does not have the washers, but it does have the 5 port washer pump. When I looked at yours it had a 3 port pump, but that does not mean someone did not replace the original. I also heard some early 71s did not have the headlight washers, but they has the hoses that went to the lights but they were blocked off.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

No headlight washers installed on '71 models.
The early ones have the 5 port washer pump (left overs from the '70 production) but no headlight washers installed.

My '71 B is like that
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Default Thanks To You All....

I appreciate all your help and knowledge sharing. New front Bezels are on the way and will be stored for use later on the rebuild of the car. I will get the remainder of the paint stripping done tonight and then head to the interior to get the adhesive off the car. New windshield pillar posts have been found and will be shipped in the next week. I will get the lower left dash pad out so it is not in the way for windshield work coming after that point.
Thanks for all your help.
David

Get notified of new replies

To Front Bumper Just Won't Come Off!!!!

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Just Won't Come Off!!!!