C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent starting problem -- need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 12:16 PM
c5_droptop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Intermittent starting problem -- need ideas

1969 Coupe. Manual tranny. MSD.

Car was at the shop and wouldn't start. No clicking on the starter but the buzzer and radio would come on as the key was cycled.

Battery was removed and tested. Started was removed and tested. Everything was put back together and it started fine.

Drove it home and started reassembly. Went to start it yesterday and wouldn't work again. This time, I wasn't getting anything (no radio, no buzzer). Traced the problem to a recently installed battery disconnect. Started right up.

Went to start it this morning and it turned over fine the first time but died due to not goosing the gas. After that, it is dead again. Buzzer and radio are still there, but it wont even start to click the starter.

How can I troubleshoot each link in the chain?

I tried putting a jumper over the clutch wires. No difference.

What about the key? I keep hearing about a rod that actuates off the key turning, but cant find that. Is there any way to take this out of the chain and bypass it?

I am guessing it is not the fusible link as this seems to be intermittent.

Beyond that, i am guessing I am down to the wiring on the starter.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Sledgehammer?

Dave
Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 PM
falconview
Instructor

In a 69 is there a clutch switch, or will it normally start in gear? If so that may be a place to look, also don't disregard grounds or wiring to the starter you may have a break or bad connection under the insulation of the wiring to the starter. One way to check is a wiggle test see if that helps
Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 PM
c5_droptop
Racer

Cruise-In IX Veteran

There is a clutch switch and I tried by-passing that already.

Just baffled as to why it would start yesterday (after the disconnect fix) and this morning and then just go dead again.

Also, car previously had the alarm option, but it has never been hooked up since I had the car. Did the factory alarm just make a bunch of noise or did it have a connection to the starter as well?

Dave
Old 10-10-2009, 01:19 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe because of the batt disconnect the battery wasn't getting a charge yesterday and today you got 1 start out of it and the battery is just discharged.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Watch your interior light when you turn the key to start and see if it dims. If it does your making a connection to the solenoid. Also watch your ammeter.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 PM
c5_droptop
Racer

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Update...

A friend came over and while neither of us is comfortable with starter wiring we are handy with a hammer.

After a couple of taps on the starter we started getting a click at least (more than before). A few minutes later it started up.

Theory is that we have a dead spot in the plunger for the starter.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:36 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

15 years ago, when buying my '72, I noted the electricals, negative bat lead to frame under the box, frame to engine loop under the pass side engine mount, obviously the + wire to the starter, and then the wiring to the main red + feed to the ign switch and the rest of the starter circuit was eliminated....IE, the safety crap removed....straight from switch to starter, no interlocks....works GREAT....

the heavy battery conductors on both + and ground were all cleaned to shiney metal, negatives redone with CLEAN metal and a star washer to ensure conduction, then coated with RTV to preclude rust....

15 years not one failure.....been through ONE starter in that time, went to the smaller one at that time....

Old 10-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Project80
Racer

Just a suggestion, if the battery cables are old, you need to do a voltage drop test on them. Where the cable actually attaches to the crimp connection may have unseen internal corrosion.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Starter solenoid is probably worn out. You can rebuild it easily..or you can buy a replacement for about the same money. If you've not done that repair before, check in Archives here on CF or search the web for procedure to change the solenoid. You only have to remove two long bolts from the end of the starter plus the two retaining screws on the solenoid. You can also check the condition/wear of the starter motor brushes while you're in there...and replace them for pocket change while you're at it (if needed).
Old 10-10-2009, 08:54 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Starter solenoid, replace or dissassemble,
and flip the big copper washer. 69VETT
Old 10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
gofastvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clean the Short Ground Cable

This will be well along in replys and will maybe go unnoticed but clean the ground connection on the transmission cross-member under the battery....you dont need a starter, however you wont do this either....

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent starting problem -- need ideas

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting problem -- need ideas