C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Running 1981 C3 Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im going to get roasted like i normally do when i say this because there is alo of die hard 81 computer lovers on this forum but ataris and commodore 64,s are not my thing and havent been for 25 years ( computers have come a long way since pacman and space invaders)....trade in your computer controlled dizzy and carb. Buy a msd dizzy and a nice lil road demon or speed demon carb , build that switch to take advantage of your loc-up converter and be cruising happily ever after.

when you do this your computer wiring harness comes out in one big slug. so much of it when you send it off to the recyclers you could almost pay for all this stuff.

Last edited by gingerbreadman1977; 11-10-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
im going to get roasted like i normally do when i say this because there is alo of die hard 81 computer lovers on this forum but ataris and commodore 64,s are not my thing and havent been for 25 years ( computers have come a long way since pacman and space invaders)....trade in your computer controlled dizzy and carb. Buy a msd dizzy and a nice lil road demon or speed demon carb , build that switch to take advantage of your loc-up converter and be cruising happily ever after.

when you do this your computer wiring harness comes out in one big slug. so much of it when you send it off to the recyclers you could almost pay for all this stuff.
That is exactly what will happen to mine eventually, but I dont like the idea of needing the switch for the converter. I know the sensors are just basically gathering info based on resistance changes in the sensor, so...couldn't I just add a resistor on the wire for each sensor to make the computer happy and not throw codes, then swap the dizzy and the carb and the computer would still sense speed and gear or whatever it needs for the converter and it would still work as needed without using a switch? There would be other more complicated ways to accomplish it, but it just seems this way would be simple.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 81pilot
That is exactly what will happen to mine eventually, but I dont like the idea of needing the switch for the converter. I know the sensors are just basically gathering info based on resistance changes in the sensor, so...couldn't I just add a resistor on the wire for each sensor to make the computer happy and not throw codes, then swap the dizzy and the carb and the computer would still sense speed and gear or whatever it needs for the converter and it would still work as needed without using a switch? There would be other more complicated ways to accomplish it, but it just seems this way would be simple.
to me thats the hard way. there is plenty of write ups on here about doing the switch. its easy. i didnt do either so i cant boast too much... i went to a non loc up converter transmission.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
WhiteC3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats exactly what I plan on doing.I ordered a distributor today and have a earlier Quadrajet from a mid 70s Vette on its way and this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70244/
with that stuff I should get it done.I've had many tell me to keep computer,but I hate to be dependant on a computer.I had a four speed 81 Vette a few years ago and it was decomputerized ans I liked it that way!I just wanted to know why it stopped running well before converting. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
spikebot 81
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll roast right along with ya. Get rid of the ccc and feel free to tune the engine for proformance instead of economy
Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 PM
WhiteC3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Easy answer: computer has nothing to do with the cruise control.

Harder answer: all the other questions.

Let's make sure we're on the same page for computer codes and my apologies up front if you already know this. When you jump the two terminals on one end of the computer connector under your ashtray (the one with a shorter divider between the terminals) you should hear the clicking from under the hood. In a few seconds, the "check engine" light should flash in series of regular flashes with pauses in between. Each series is two digits and repeats three times before going on to the next code.

Assuming that you are doing the above then you should be getting a 12 code and presumably others. That is unless you disconnected the battery to do some of the swaps. In that case, you should only get the 12 code. Realize too that this is a pretty primative computer system with a very limited number of sensors. It will only tell you one of a few issues and the rest you have to figure out on your own.
I checked my test lead and its ok. Same results no response at all. Thanks again at least I know why it quit running well. Also my torque converter is not locking up and with a almost dead computer it makes sense.The other computer seem to work but I don't trust the system and will be removing it to convert to non computer contolled.

Quick Reply: Rough Running 1981 C3 Help!!!