C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing quadra-jet secondaries

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Testing quadra-jet secondaries

All,

I was wondering if there was a way to tst the stock carb to see if the secondaries were operating. With the car in park I removed the air cleaner lid and held the throttle open to 25oo rpms and then reved it pretty sharply (probably to 4000 or 4500 rpm) and the secondary plates did not open up.

To be quite honest, when driving the car I can not hear if they are opening or not because of the stock induction system and aftermarket exhaust. I realize its vacuum so I will not feel a sudden "kick", but is there a way to verify their operation with the car in park and observing through the operation?

Thank you,
Dan
Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

A quick blip usually makes them pop for a second but I wouldn't be doing any high revs.
Just make sure they will open manually and the lockout is coming off with the engine off.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:25 PM
mandingo214
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the engine off, and a helper in the drivers seat, make sure the choke plate is open and the secondary lockout lever on the passenger side of the carb is not engaged with the bar going through the end of the secondary shaft. Manually hold the secondary air valves open, and while looking down the barrels, have the helper press the throttle to the floor. The secondaries should open up all the way. If they do not, then the throttle cable needs "adjusting" (quoted, because my '74 does not have an official adjustment mechanism).

If the looks fine in the driveway, but you do not think they are working while driving, wire the secondary lockout lever in position, so the secondaries will not open, and go for a drive. If you do not notice a difference, then your secondaries are not opening, and you have carb adjustment/assembly problem.

Even with a quiet car (like my '74 454 vert) you should be able to distiquish the sound of the secondaries kicking in.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:18 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I assume you are talking about the '78. Remove the air cleaner and drive the car for a short distance including a WOT blast. You should be able to hear the carburetor make that signature "WAHHHHHHHHH".

If the small primaries are the only thing opening you will not hear that.

cc
Old 11-22-2009, 04:42 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by CCrane72
I assume you are talking about the '78. Remove the air cleaner and drive the car for a short distance including a WOT blast. You should be able to hear the carburetor make that signature "WAHHHHHHHHH".

If the small primaries are the only thing opening you will not hear that.

cc
"WAHHHHHHHHH" man that brings back memories. First thing most kids did after the got the family car around the corner was to flip the air cleaner lid over. "WAHHHHHHHHH"
The last thing they were supposed to do was flip it back before dad drove the car.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
"WAHHHHHHHHH" man that brings back memories. First thing most kids did after the got the family car around the corner was to flip the air cleaner lid over. "WAHHHHHHHHH"
The last thing they were supposed to do was flip it back before dad drove the car.
We had a '67 Fairlane wagon with a straight 6 so...

Now my uncle who owned an upholstery shop that I worked at had a '67 Caprice 4 dr. with a 396. I went to buy it after he passed away and I let his partner talk me out of it. He said my uncle never took care of it and it smoked etc. I wish I had gone ahead and taken it.

cc

Last edited by CCrane65; 11-22-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

BTW Roger, from the frown face do I take it you forgot about putting the lid back the right way?

cc
Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by CCrane72
BTW Roger, from the frown face do I take it you forgot about putting the lid back the right way?

cc
Actually it was my buddys car and he was supposed to flip it after dropping me off at home. He forgot and his dad was furious and of course I got the blame because it was my idea. The pisser was his dad bought a new 442 convertible about a week later and I was never allowed to ride in it.

Get notified of new replies

To Testing quadra-jet secondaries

Quick Reply: Testing quadra-jet secondaries