C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help! Engine knock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
tnovot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Absolutely incorrect. An increase in pressure, as in the combustion chamber, does not cause gas to vaporize. Exactly the opposite is true. Think of it as LIQUID propane in a pressurized tank, becoming a vapor as the pressure drops when it leaves the cylinder. The only down side to too much octane is wasted money.
Yes, exactly what I was getting ready to say. The statement about fuel being pressurized to make a vapor didn't make any sense to me either, even after I read it a few times.
Terry
Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 PM
JDemp
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the help.

I still can't have not been able to hunt it down yet. I have been working 14.5 hours a day at work so very little extra time.

Me and a buddy are going to have a go at it on Sunday.

If it is something loose I will find it. I would hate to pull the GREAT running motor and find out the fuel pump was loose. If its a flywheel bolt that will be a tough one its a 4speed!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try pulling the plug wires one by one and see if any noise occures when a certain plug wire is pulled off. Might be a good place to start.

We have seen engines over the years have jounal wear on number one rod jounal and cause a knocking problem.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:11 PM
JDemp
Advanced

Well.....

It has to be an oil pressure problem. Just for fun I changed the oil to 10-40 to see if the pressure would go up (I had the oil and was bored).

You know that sound an old engine makes when you start it up right after an oil change(and yes I fill the filter up with oil)? Thats the sound! I did not realize it until now. Good thing I have not run it very much like that!!

When I started It after the change it made that sound for about 5 seconds then stopped. I drove it for 20min up to full temp and no sound!!

Next weekend I am going to pull the pan and change the pump for a HV one, new screen etc and check my bearings. I know Im going to have to rebuild the motor soon but not for now!!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 PM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tnovot
Yes, exactly what I was getting ready to say. The statement about fuel being pressurized to make a vapor didn't make any sense to me either, even after I read it a few times.
Terry
Well, maybe I worded it wrong, but after reading so many freakin know it alls berate anyone when they think they know it all I think I will find another forum. I put up with that crap on another one for far too long. And some here are extremely intolerant. I was trying to say basically what he did, but it is a fact the when octane is too high a certain remnant will remain unburnt and cause carboning. I know someone will tell me that is false, but I don't care anymore.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:57 PM
JDemp
Advanced

Started to pull the pump out today....

Started that is......

Headers make getting the inspection plate and starter out a pain in the as$. But they do make dropping the pan easy!

Got tired of it today, will have to finsh in up on Thursday.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:08 PM
JDemp
Advanced

Well got it done but.....when I started cranking it (without the coil to pump some oil around)I could hear a loud knocking sound.

At first I thought the starter was loose but, I think the inspection plate is hitting the flywheel.

Thats what I hope anyway! We bent it pretty good when taking it out. The headers got in the way of it comming straight out.

Once again I have run out of time today!

Last edited by JDemp; 12-10-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:45 PM
JDemp
Advanced

It was the inspection plate hitting the counter weight on the flywheel.

Boy that was a scary sound!!! I thought the engine was done!

Drove it around for 30 min or so, no more knocking sound yet!!

The new oil pump holds 25 to 30 or so at 800 rpm idle HOT with 10-30 Moble1.

Quick Reply: Need some help! Engine knock!