C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas pedal question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Gas pedal question

In my seemingly never ending quest to fix everything that's wrong with my '69 I discovered that someone in their infinite wisdom replaced the original gas pedal assembly with one from some other car but I have no idea what kind of car it came from. It appears that my car had the early style (68-mid '69) gas pedal assembly because the trans kickdown switch and bracket is for the early style pedal assembly. The gas pedal that the previous owner installed doesn't engage the kickdown switch which comes as no surprise. I'm having a hard time finding the early style gas pedal assembly for a decent price. I really don't want to spend 100 bucks or more for it (I can't find one for a reasonable price) so my question is will a later model gas pedal assembly and kickdown switch bracket bolt in place of the early style assembly? By the way, if anybody that reads this thread happens to have an early style gas pedal assembly for a decent price I'd be interested in it. I don't need the early style kickdown switch bracket or kickdown switch, I already have that.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 02-09-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I may have what you need. Just the opposite here. Working on a 72 and it had the early style pedal in it. Let me take a look. Is this what you are looking for
Attached Images   

Last edited by Gordonm; 02-09-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:08 AM
0Corvettes by George
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Can u photograph what kickdown switch u have (automatic trans?)
210-748-4693 for text
[/QUOTE]
Old 02-09-2018, 10:14 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I may have what you need. Just the opposite here. Working on a 72 and it had the early style pedal in it. Let me take a look. Is this what you are looking for
That looks like what I need. PM me with a price and we'll go from there. By the way, there's a couple of the later model gas pedal assemblies that you need for sale on eBay right now for 20 bucks each. I'd send you the links to them but I can't do it from my phone, I'm at work right now and won't have access to my computer until later on today. They should be easy to find on eBay, just do a search for c3 Corvette gas pedal assembly and you should find them.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by 1960fi
Can u photograph what kickdown switch u have (automatic trans?)
210-748-4693 for text
I won't be able to do it until I get home from work later on today. It's the early switch for sure, it's not the '70 and later switch.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

The early 68-69 pedal assembly will bend quite easily. Not uncommon at WOT for the secondary butterflies to only by open 50%. The easy fix is to install the later one piece assembly.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:03 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
The early 68-69 pedal assembly will bend quite easily. Not uncommon at WOT for the secondary butterflies to only by open 50%. The easy fix is to install the later one piece assembly.
Is the later assembly a drop in replacement for the early assembly? Do the mounting holes from the later assembly line up with the holes for the early assembly?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
Is the later assembly a drop in replacement for the early assembly? Do the mounting holes from the later assembly line up with the holes for the early assembly?
I think the mounting holes do line up. Since the one I sent you was in the 72 I ma working on and the 77 pedal I ma using fits the 72 I would assume the holes are similar. I have always found the the stock cable and brackets did not allow enough travel. It was not the pedal limiting the travel it was the cable and bracket. I have used, many times the Lokar system. It is not cheap but reliably gives me full throttle all the time I want it. The stock ones just never were up to the task. I have checked many stock Qjet systems and they are not giving full throttle. Any time mods have been done or different carbs or throttle bodies have been used the yare never giving me full throttle.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
I'm not sure which version accelerator rod came with my '69, but it looks like it had bent in the past and Bubba "fixed it".
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
I'm not sure which version accelerator rod came with my '69, but it looks like it had bent in the past and Bubba "fixed it".
That is the single piece design. I don't know if I personally would call that 'bubba', looks like a perfectly acceptable fix to me.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:10 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
Damn, for that to bend and need that kind of a "fix" he must have had a helluva stiff carb return spring.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas pedal question

Quick Reply: Gas pedal question