C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 07:27 AM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle???

Any one invent a kit yet that uses the parking brake lever applying pressure to a hydraulic cylindered piston through separate brake line to a one way valved port to the rear brake calipers? This in turn eliminates the wimpy drum parking brakes and the cable assembly on our C-3....and would also act as a line lock out of the lights....Can this be done or does a system like this exist? :seeya Cappy
Old 03-02-2002, 07:36 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle??? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

I would think it would be easy enough to do. there is a lack of space in the center console where the handle is to locate a cylinder, but that could be worked around. I don't know of a system that is available now, but it's got me thinking, and maybe I'll have to try to build something for mine. :cheers:
Old 03-02-2002, 07:56 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle??? (Dalannex)

In Sweden its illegal to change the parkingbreak to a hydralic,its has to to be mechanic...Strange... :confused: I know this has nothing to to with your question,but i just had to say it :crazy: ;)
Old 03-02-2002, 08:38 AM
Rocket Ron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle??? (BB wowbagger)

First. You wouldn't want to lock the rear brakes for line lock.
Second. The parking brakes are mechanical so they would not be effected by a hydrolic failer.
Third. I would put a line lock selonid on the front brakes and wire a micro switch to the parking brake lever.
Have fun, just don't kill me.

[Modified by Rocket Ron, 6:39 AM 3/2/2002]
Old 03-02-2002, 02:47 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle??? (8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE)

Dalannex,
Would be nice to lock up the brakes with a hydraulic set up, since most of us don't use or have parking brakes that hold with the slightest incline in the road surface. Work on a system and we'll beat a path to your door..... :seeya
Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 AM
whmartini
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic E-brake

I recently picked up a frame off restored 73 that has Mark Williams axles with no access holes for manual e-brakes. Since the car was originally built for drag racing (heavy duty after market swing arms) there is no practical way of installing stock e-brakes. It sure would be appreciated if someone could come up with an E-brake handle operated hydraulic system that would pressurize the system. I agree, we'll beat a path to your door.flag:
WH
Old 11-17-2011, 03:13 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Fix-up some form of disc + caliper assembly to propshaft ?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It could be done easy enough, There is a company called Mico Brake that made them for meduim duty trucks like the old C65 Chevys etc. that had hydraulic brakes. What you did was splice into the line, usually the one going to the rear brakes and the fluid would run through the Mico valve. To set it you just stepped on the brake pedal and flipped the valve and it held the brakes. If I remember right they offered it in a manual valve or electric. I drove a few trucks that had them installed and they worked pretty good.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

you would be going to alot of trouble here. a correctly installed and maintained mechanical parking brake will do just fine and you don't have to worry about hydraulic failures and the hundred hours and $$$ it will take to install a custom system. it may not lock you up at 60 MPH, but a good original setup will stop you and easilly hold you on a hill.

I can't imagine a hydraulic setup.. like a line-loc holding pressure for extended time while parked and having it work for years...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Any one invent a kit yet that uses the parking brake lever applying pressure to a hydraulic cylindered piston through separate brake line to a one way valved port to the rear brake calipers?
It won't work. As soon as you apply pressure to the rear brakes, the fluid will be bled off through the master cylinder, and installing one way valves would eliminate any way to realease the brake after it's applied.

You need a valve like jabrun is talking about.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You are just asking for brake failures if you try and activate the same brake calipers with 2 different masters. The advice to install a proven line-lock or a seperate caliper on the drive shaft is pretty good. The advice to fix the stock parking brake because it can and willd work is also good.

Peter

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle???

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Parking Brake using brake handle???