C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American made rims??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default American made rims??

I am looking for some 17 inch rims for the 1980 that are hecho en los estados unidos.

I hear that the TTIIs are now made in china, which sucks. What about Cragar? do they make them in the correct back spacing?

Other brands? USA, Canadian, European, Japanese are fine, i am just not willing to buy more junk from China and Mexico.

cheers
Steve
Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 PM
calif phil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowerss2
I am looking for some 17 inch rims for the 1980 that are hecho en los estados unidos.

I hear that the TTIIs are now made in china, which sucks. What about Cragar? do they make them in the correct back spacing?

Other brands? USA, Canadian, European, Japanese are fine, i am just not willing to buy more junk from China and Mexico.

cheers
Steve
Last year I bought some TTII's for my El Camino and was surprised to see them made in China. They do look good but I hate buying Chinese crap.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

no one?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

CENTERLINE..... located in so cal...I have been talking to them, and ANY wheel they currently make or have made in the past they will make for you to fit your car. and there pricing is very reasonable. for a 18" that I want costume made is going to be ~$250 each..... they make them right there..... Paul :-)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

The China thing is OK depending on how the quality control is done. The Chinese are quite capable of making good parts if the company that contracts them to the work is on the ball.

A good example is the Callies Compstar line. Made in China but QC is done in the states or overseen by Callies. I have seen a few of the "Chinese" Compstar cranks and rods and they are good, I mean real good.

Where it gets mucked up is when we want a 4340 forged crank for $200, it's not going to be good, if you want cheap stuff they have cheap stuff but the Callies Compstar cranks aren't cheap either so you get what you pay for.

If American Racing is overseeing the production ( they can't check every wheel ) but they can make sure the quality is there then I don't see a problem

Now if you beef is the fact they are not made in USA then you are going to have to buy a brand that is
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Just an observation, but I don't think I've ever seen a wheel manufacturer refer to their product as a "rim", ie American Racing "rims" or Cragar "rims".

Sorry couldn't help it...a pet peeve ya know.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my boss 338's are american made. says so on the back!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
dstaley
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow 72
Just an observation, but I don't think I've ever seen a wheel manufacturer refer to their product as a "rim", ie American Racing "rims" or Cragar "rims".

I'm with you. The rim is a part of the wheel.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Red 71
Pro

Location: Melbourne, Fla. 6 months- New Middletown, Ohio 6 months
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picky...Picky...Picky! I think I will just go take my "Vert" for a spin!!!

It is all in fun!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,651 Posts

You didn't mention what the budget is so I'm not sure what you're looking to spend. You did however mention A/R TTIIs. It has been stated on other forums that they have moved the "custom" wheel manufacturing back to the USA (the wheels with backspace built to order that have wait times to go along with the build times). You can also look at www.vintagewheelworks.com as they make a wheel that is high quality in the same style a TTII. Most of the billet wheel companies - Budnik, Bonspeed, Billet Specialties, Colorado Custom, and Intro just to name a few are made here. At one time and I don't know if it's still true but the rumor was Centerline made the hoops for everybody and each company cut their own center designs and assembled the wheels. The wheels with cast centers will be priced below the wheels with billet centers. A lot of the "old school" designed centers are cast. I hope this helps to give you some ideas when you try to decide what wheels in what price range you want to spend you're hard earned dollars on. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 251 Posts

The selection is small but Phil Schmidt's PS Engineering "Rims" are made in the US!

http://www.psvintagewheels.com/home.html
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

you are right its a wheel, at our shop we used to call the bare wheels rims, and wheels with tires mounted on them wheels. old habits i guess.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
theybot
Racer

Originally Posted by 6T7L71CPE
The selection is small but Phil Schmidt's PS Engineering "Rims" are made in the US!

http://www.psvintagewheels.com/home.html

Thats the the wheel I went with.

Oops, just realized I'm in the c3 side.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:36 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

thats o.k. you can join us anytime..
Old 04-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by theybot
Thats the the wheel I went with.

Oops, just realized I'm in the c3 side.

Wow that looks great, what size of wheels and tires did you go with.

Get notified of new replies

To American made rims??

Quick Reply: American made rims??