C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadrajet Secondaries

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Gun Laker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadrajet Secondaries

I rebuilt my Quadrajet from a 1977 L48 and resolved some issues. Some of the issues I resolved helped with the primary and idle issues. I am good with those. When I rebuilt the carb, I did not take the secondary rod out or mess with any of the settings on the secondary shaft. Now I see that the air valves do not open (I have the hood off still and I never see them open while driving). I have read about adjusting the spring on the air valves, but I think the issue may be bigger than that. The air valves hang open when the engine is not running. they actually are very sloppy. When the engine starts, the air valves close as soon as there is enough vacuum to do so. When the engine is running the valves are closed so tight that I can only force them open. They never have opened once that I can tell when driving. The throttle plates open like they should at about 80* at WOT as I tested them with the engine not running. Suggestions anyone? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

the air valve should be closed when not running. Loosen the set screw on the bottom surface of the air horn and turn the small screw clockwise on the side of the airhorn till they just close and then try an additional 1/2 to start with. Then tighten the set screw. This additional amount can vary and should be experimented with to prevent the air valve opening too soon.

Quick Reply: Quadrajet Secondaries