C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Beam Wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Beam Wires

Hello All,
My '69 has 4 wires coming out of the foot switch. The two greens should go to the high beams. The blue has a tendency to be the indicator light and the brown should be the power from the low beams. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

-Adam
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Young69Owner
Hello All,
My '69 has 4 wires coming out of the foot switch. The two greens should go to the high beams. The blue has a tendency to be the indicator light and the brown should be the power from the low beams. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

-Adam
No I can't confirm that. Where is your power to the dimmer switch ?
One of the greens goes to the high beams and one goes to high beam indicator
The tan is low beam
The blue feeds the dimmer from the headlight switch
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Really? What does the dimmer have to do with the high beams?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? What does the dimmer have to do with the high beams?
Quite obviously - It turns them on and off.

Seems to me the only disagreement is if it's fed +12 from the low beam circuit, or from a seperate feed.

-W
Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

The brown wire has to get +12V from the low beam circuit. Nothing else would make any sense. I really don't understand what the dimmer has to do with the high beams. The only dimmer I know about is for the gauge lights. Can you explain this for me?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

The low/high beam switch is called "the dimmer switch" in general parlance.

The guage light dimmer rheostat is part of the headlight switch.

-W
Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

so:

green is high beams and indicator

blue is switched +12V

tan is low beams

I will test this by unplugging the wires and testing the low beams. Thanks for your patience.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Sounds like you got it.
Power comes into the foot switch on the blue and goes out by either the tan (low)or green (high).
You can jumper from the blue to either the tan or green to test.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks a bunch. Next time I'll know what is meant by dimmer switch. My relays are all made and ready to go in. Wish me luck!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Thanks a bunch. Next time I'll know what is meant by dimmer switch. My relays are all made and ready to go in. Wish me luck!
Dimmer might be an old fart thing. Years ago we "dimmed" our lights when we saw other lights coming down the road (some cars had automatic dimmers....really they did) so as to not blind the oncoming driver , that doesn't seem to be as common nowadays. (especially when I'm down in Florida,all the grayhairs just leave their brights on all the time)
"Next time" I will try to stay with your terminology (foot switch)from your OP.
GOOD LUCK.....
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

I actually feel more educated saying dimmer switch. I have the blue wire going to the tan wire and the dimmer switch is powered off of a 'bus' that goes to the alternator. It is a thing of beauty. I can use all 4 Cibie headlights now. Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

So when you pull the headlight switch the low beams come on and the dimmer powers the high beams without going through the HL switch ?
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
So when you pull the headlight switch the low beams come on and the dimmer powers the high beams without going through the HL switch ?
That's the whole idea of the relay.
The dimmer powers the relay and the current draw of the high beams doesn't flow though the HL switch nor the dimmer switch.

-W
Old 05-17-2010, 03:00 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

What I really meant to say was , the HL switch turns the low beams on and off and the dimmer switch turns the high beams on and off which means that if both are on he would have 6 filaments lit up.

Originally Posted by Clams Canino
That's the whole idea of the relay.
The dimmer powers the relay and the current draw of the high beams doesn't flow though the HL switch nor the dimmer switch.

-W
He said bus , I didn't take that as a relay but rather just a connection to the red on the back of the alt. Could be wrong though.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

What I really meant to say was , the HL switch turns the low beams on and off and the dimmer switch turns the high beams on and off which means that if both are on he would have 6 filaments lit up.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

And I think his bus goes to a relay - I think.

-W
Old 05-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Hey fellas; I'm happy to clear this up. I have one additional +12V and one additional ground wire going to my alternator. I've made buses with screws on the side of my engine compartment. All of my new grounds and power wires go to these buses. My headlight switch now sends 200 mA to a Hella headlight relay which moves and completes a circuit. I have a new power wire going from a bus to the old 'dimmer' switch, which is now just a high beam switch. It activates another relay for my high beams. I have Cibie CSR headlights and that means two high beams and two low beams. I do technically have six filaments because of my city driving lights. I am very excited about this setup and grateful for your patience in teaching me. I used a piezo-electric buzzer as my continuity tester and everything you guys said was right on the money.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:46 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

You say that like it's a bad thing.
6 filaments lit ? Never tried that,will the sealed beam take it , cause in the stock setup only 4 filaments , 1 in each bulb is lit on high ? I would have thought lighting both filaments in the low beam with them so close to each other might create too much heat and cause them to burn out.

Get notified of new replies

To High Beam Wires

Old 05-17-2010, 03:50 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Ah relays...Cam was correct ...Let there be light !!!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Hey fellas; I'm happy to clear this up. I have one additional +12V and one additional ground wire going to my alternator. I've made buses with screws on the side of my engine compartment. All of my new grounds and power wires go to these buses. My headlight switch now sends 200 mA to a Hella headlight relay which moves and completes a circuit. I have a new power wire going from a bus to the old 'dimmer' switch, which is now just a high beam switch. It activates another relay for my high beams. I have Cibie CSR headlights and that means two high beams and two low beams. I do technically have six filaments because of my city driving lights. I am very excited about this setup and grateful for your patience in teaching me. I used a piezo-electric buzzer as my continuity tester and everything you guys said was right on the money.
Dood.. I've a '68 since '78 and I might yet learn something here from you...

So as I understand it... your headlight switch just fires off the low beams, and the foot switch just fires off the high beams - both via relay?
Does that mean you can turn on the high beams with the foot switch when the headlight switch is off? Are they that independant?

Also - Why do you have 6 and not 8 filiments running when both lights are on?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Dood.. I've a '68 since '78 and I might yet learn something here from you...

So as I understand it... your headlight switch just fires off the low beams, and the foot switch just fires off the high beams - both via relay?
Does that mean you can turn on the high beams with the foot switch when the headlight switch is off? Are they that independant?

Also - Why do you have 6 and not 8 filiments running when both lights are on?
I'd be a pleasure to help. I made it this far because of you guys. Yes to everything. The low beams have one filament on each side as do the high beams. My serious lights only get 4 filaments because of this. I have one wimpy 6 Watt parking light in with each low beam that make my total 6 filaments. (I also have LED/DRL turn signals, but those aren't filaments and the DRL module has more relays.) Those lights can stay on together all day. My high beams are yellow because that's all Daniel Stern had left and I can turn them on with the headlights down and look nasty.

Also, the bozo previous owner ran all the wires and hoses above the radiator. Today, I saw the detent to the side of it. Where did you run your hoses and wires? Should I move all of them..?

Quick Reply: High Beam Wires