C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 01:20 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses!

Got done putting the harnesses in this weekend and thought some of you might be interested. The installation was easily and looks and feels good. There is one problem, the rear strap that connects the rear mounting point to the shoulder straps is too long. If left this way, in a accident the seat-back would still be able to move forward about 8 inches. I'm currently dealing with Corbeau to see if there is a solution. Check out the pic below:

[Modified by tshort, 5:21 PM 3/18/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 01:23 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses! (tshort)

Good to hear.....I will be looking to put those in with my corbeau seats..
I don't want the 3 inch Simpson and like, as I am looking for daily driving...not drag setup....looks nice ! :cheers:
Old 03-18-2002, 01:29 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses! (ylose)

Thanks for the comment ylose!
Old 03-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

tshort, Where do the shoulder harnesses attach? Rod
Old 03-18-2002, 03:17 PM
TQ67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHere did you bold the shoulder harnesses - on the floor of the storage compartment? Size bolts?? How do you know where to drill through, etc??

Thanks
Old 03-18-2002, 03:24 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses! (TQ67)

My car originally had a shoulder harness. I used the existing bolt on the rear fender-well. I believe that even if your car wasn't equiped with the shoulder strap that the mounting bracket is still there, you just need to get the bolt. Hopefully someone else here knows.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:28 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

I just got off the phone with Corbeau and they have only one solution to the problem with the length: buy the 3-point without the rear release (it is shorter) and the attachment point has a clip that attaches to an eye bolt. What a sorry solution! Not sure what to do now, I really liked the idea of the rear buckle.

Anyone know if there are places that can shorten seat belts? And don't cost more than the seat belts themselves!
Thanks

[Modified by tshort, 7:28 PM 3/18/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses!

http://www.dakotariggers.com/

Try contacting these people about getting the rear belt shortened. I don't know if they can do anything or not, but I believe they shorten rigging straps, so they should be able to shorten a seatbelt and have it hold safely. It's kind of a shot in the dark. Or maybe they will know of a place that does such things.

-Justin
Old 03-20-2002, 04:40 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tshort-SFI specs state the following with respect to seat belts performance. "The belts should be as short as possible to reduce stretching for better control of occupant movement. The attachment points must provide the optimum geometry to minimize movement of the belts. The end attachments of the shoulder harness must also be installed at appropriate angles. The ideal position is anywhere between 5 degree below and 30 degree above the driver's shoulder, If the upper attachment point falls significantly below the driver's shoulder, then a spinal compression injury is likely to occur. In an accident situation, the shoulder belts pull down and back on the torso as they resist the forward motion of the driver. The resultant restraint force compresses the spinal column and will add to the stresses in the spine already caused by the force of the crash impact. On the other hand, if the trailing ends of the harness are too far above the shoulder (greater than 30 degrees), then two problems can occur. First, tension in the shoulder harness is increased and undue stress is applied to the harness and its structural attachments. Second, excessive angle will cause excessive motion. If the harness belts are too far above the shoulder, they will provide little resistance to forward motion of the driver's upper torso. The result is impact with the steering wheel and the possibility of neck injury. The shoulder straps should also be 3-6" apart behind the driver's neck to prevent slippage off the shoulders.
The reliability of a restraint system is greatly affected by the way it is installed. It is imperative to follow the installation instructions provided by the seat belt manufacturer. Also, the necessity of replacing or rewebbing seat belts every two years cannot be more important.
As cars become more advanced and consequently go faster, everything possible must be done to make the racing experience safe as well as fun. Failure to do so can cause serious injury, or worse. If there is anything that can be learned from the sport of racing, it's that anything is possible, and taking the attitude that "it won't happen to me" is risky, because it does happen."

Old 03-20-2002, 04:57 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Default Re: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses! (vettedan)

Other than what VetteDan had to say. RedVettercr brought up a good point about folding seats. Dangerous! Don't even think about buying a racing folding seat" If safety is what you really have in mind the fiberglass and corbon fiber are the best because they have give in an impact where ridged aluminum doesn't.

Old 03-20-2002, 07:37 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Default Re: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses! (gkull)

gkull-Now if I can just find a racing seat that I will allow my fat head to fit with a helmet on.
Dan
Old 03-20-2002, 09:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Dan or anybody. I have my head liner in and my helmet will onlu touch if I strech up. Like I said before the 79 floor board is raised under the seat @ two inches an if you needed that much more I'm sure that it's not a biggy to sawsall it out and refiberglass it in level with the foot area.

[Modified by gkull, 7:08 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 10:26 PM
andyg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at that setup as well. I am disappointed that they could not make a slightly shorter attachment strap for the rear connection. It would seem very easy to make one that is slightly smaller in length. I guess there is not enough demand for this type of application. Kind of poor CS if you ask me though.....
Old 03-21-2002, 01:43 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses! (andyg)

andyg
You're right. I'm not too pleased either. Basically their only solution was to return them for the harnesses that don't have the rear buckle. It does have a clip where it mounts, but you have to reach way the hell back there to undo the thing just to move the seat up. So basically this means you have to undo the passenger belt from the driver's side and the driver's belt from the passenger's side. Not a solution to me. I don't understand why it is so difficult for them to just offer either a shorter section or shorten mine for me.

Vettedan,
Thanks for all the info. That was very good reading. But I guess the question is: this setup may not be ideal, but is it better than just a lap belt? I mean, this is where it was originally mounted from the factory. I realize we have made improvements over time but I feel you're post was to discourage me from using this setup. I'm sure with this setup I would still be able to hit the steering wheel in a collision but it's short enough to keep me from hitting the windshield. Of course, if the impact was that great, it may cause spinal injury by the compression you talked about but would this be less serious than only using a lap belt?

As usual, thank you guys for your input and suggestions.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:07 AM
gkull
Team Owner

tshort If all you had was lap belt it's far better. It's also a better design than a cross shoulder type. I didn't understand what you started with.

Just a trivia question when did Vettes get the G force activated belts? Mine was always so sensitive that it would suck you back to the seat in launch/turn/braking. You had to yank it to let go, just to continue to drive because it just locked you back. Mine is a 79 L-82. :cheers:
Old 03-21-2002, 02:28 AM
vettedan
Drifting

tshort-Your right! what you have is better than the original. My intent was to just inform you. I have done a lot of investigating myself with seat belt set up for my harness bar design for '74 thru '77, so when I saw your set up I thought I would give you information that I have learned. I have a few areas that aren’t perfect. The crotch strap should come up under the seat and through the legs, but with stock seats that impossible. NHRA does allow the crotch strap on an OEM-type seat to come up over the seat instead of through it. Maybe someday I can get hold of an early C3 '68 thru '73 vette and design a harness bar. BTW you have one awesome looking shark.

gkull-I'm not desperate enough yet to build a new floor in my shark. If I were into racing as much as you are I would have already done it. I really like the seats you have. I will probably stick to autocross for now.
Dan
Old 03-21-2002, 11:55 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran

vettedan,
Thanks a lot for the comments! I've put a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and time into this little car in the short time I've had it and I really appreciate nice comments. I think I will just stick with the way they are. It seems like too much hassle to try anything else. And already I feel a lot safer than before.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses!

Quick Reply: Installed 3-point Corbeau harnesses!