C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a steel scattersheild necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 PM
2K-C5
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my take on this issue.

Assuming you have a well built and balanced engine: If you are running a Hydraulic Roller cam and will keep the Max RPMs below 6,000 on SBC or 5500 on BBC; and you are not going to launch at more than 2400 RPM then your odds are pretty good without scatter shield. However, I would definitely recommend a Rev-Limiter.

I suspect that 99% of flywheel explosions were a result of hard core racing. There is also a slight down side to scatter shields, in that they have to be dialed-in before installing and many of them will give you trouble doing so (check the forum for horror stories).

The issue of money should also be considered. Just getting out of bed is risky. I suspect that you may be able to put that money to better use protecting yourself and/or family from more likely dangers.

However, if you are going to race your car, then put safety equipment (scatter shield/roll bar/harness, etc..) on your car. I blew a cast iron Pontiac 389 Super Duty w/auto at the end of the quarter mile. The cam was in 3 pieces and part of a rod was sticking out of the side of the block. So a flywheel explosion is definitely going to take out the firewall and floor.

Whatever you decide, be safe.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Rmorgan&11
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
Did they change something over the years because mine is made so nothing comes out? You have these big *** bolts all across the bottom including the block saver plate.

gkull , don't know ..I bought it used .. but it was open across the bottom ..thought thats the way it was made ...next time I get back to the ranch I'll see if it is still there ..my brother and I have a barn where we kinda just threw all our old parts into
Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Rmorgan&11
Racer

Originally Posted by 2K-C5
Here is my take on this issue.

Assuming you have a well built and balanced engine: If you are running a Hydraulic Roller cam and will keep the Max RPMs below 6,000 on SBC or 5500 on BBC; and you are not going to launch at more than 2400 RPM then your odds are pretty good without scatter shield. However, I would definitely recommend a Rev-Limiter.

I suspect that 99% of flywheel explosions were a result of hard core racing. There is also a slight down side to scatter shields, in that they have to be dialed-in before installing and many of them will give you trouble doing so (check the forum for horror stories).

The issue of money should also be considered. Just getting out of bed is risky. I suspect that you may be able to put that money to better use protecting yourself and/or family from more likely dangers.

However, if you are going to race your car, then put safety equipment (scatter shield/roll bar/harness, etc..) on your car. I blew a cast iron Pontiac 389 Super Duty w/auto at the end of the quarter mile. The cam was in 3 pieces and part of a rod was sticking out of the side of the block. So a flywheel explosion is definitely going to take out the firewall and floor.

Whatever you decide, be safe.
My First incident happened in my '67 Rs when I slapped on a set of drag slicks....I mean a clutch is a clutch right ?? it cost like 80 bucks , what do you mean its not made for racing !!!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

You answered your own question. The car is over 500 HP. TKO trans and will be run at the track. Buy a scattershield, dial it in and don't worry about it. Hydraulic roller cam and limiting it to 6000 RPM don't matter. Horsepower and traction do. They usually blow on launch or a full throttle powershift.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvette999
Are those ballistic blankets (Diest Safety / D.J Safety) any good?
If I'm not mistaken, those are for automatics. I don't think they'll contain a flywheel.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmorgan&11
How good is a stock 621 bellhousing ?? I kept this one that came originally on my Camaro ,after I put on the Lakewood ...

I think it is still out in my Mom's barn or somewhere ??
I'd hang on to the 621 in case you ever decide to restore the Camaro back to original and sell it, but probably woudln't put it back on otherwise. Or, you could always clean it up real nice and put in on feeBay to make a few bucks. As for it containing a clutch explosion, you have seen how easily a knive goes thru butter, right?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Rmorgan&11
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
I'd hang on to the 621 in case you ever decide to restore the Camaro back to original and sell it, but probably woudln't put it back on otherwise. Or, you could always clean it up real nice and put in on feeBay to make a few bucks. As for it containing a clutch explosion, you have seen how easily a knive goes thru butter, right?
Thanks !
I will probably see if I still have it ? and maybe trade on here for parts I need for aSBC Build I'm trying to get together..

Camaro is long Gone !

Quick Reply: When is a steel scattersheild necessary?